Always check everything before a big trip

Hi all
Just got back from a trip up the Canning Stock Route. We had a magnificent trip but it very nearly all went to shirt when we got to the first bit of terrain that required 4 wheel drive. I had had my rig (2008 79 series V8Cruiser Ute) in for a 80 000 km service (it has only done 62 000 Km) which involves repacking the wheelbearings among other things. So we came to this tricky bit of down hill rocky country about 100 km from Wiluna and I got out to put the hubs in for the first time since the service. Passenger side no dramas drivers side would only turn halfway to lock. Bugger! So after some discussion and swearing I thought OK I will call the dealer on the sat phone we had borrowed from a mate. Well the instrucions from our mate had lost something in translation and we couldn't make a phone call to anyone apart from our mate who owned the phone and he wasn't answering. So with nothing to lose we got the spanners out and took the hub off and it had been reassembled backwards so after a few trial and errors we put it back together the right way around and we were off for another 5000 km trouble free. Eventually we got hold of our mate who owned the phone and worked out how to make a call but it was lucky we did not have a real emergency before then
Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:02

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:02
Hmmm - the 6 Ps Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance. Been there done that (not) - thankfully all worked out in the end - hope you otherwise had a great trip. .
AnswerID: 492552

Follow Up By: Member - Nick T2 - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:28

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:28
Hi Garrycol
It certainly is a glorious trip and the cruiser did it ridiculously easily It was our first big trip in the cruiser with the alloy canopy and our new Oztent, usually we travel with our Prado and Campertrailer. It all worked really well and we were very glad we didn't take the trailer it made a huge difference not towing anything and nearly all the convoys with trailers had had some sort of hassle from broken springs and spring hangers to broken hitches.

Cheers Nick T2
FollowupID: 768305

Reply By: wjh41 - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:17

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:17
Sorry to hear of your problem,the apprentice probably pulled it apart with the hub in the lock position and it all flew to bits,glad you got it working.Wally
AnswerID: 492553

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 08:02

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 08:02
Things do happen even with the best preparation but good to see you still had enough gear and knowledge to get around the situation. I believe you can't avoid every incident but you can be prepared to deal with them when they happen.

Good outcome for you guys.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492574

Reply By: Member - Keith B (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 08:56

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 08:56
Same thing happened to me but I had learned from previous experience to check following a service. And yes it was the apprentice!!! My experience was with a Toyota dealer in Brisbane - not the same with you by any chance?
AnswerID: 492575

Follow Up By: Member - Nick T2 - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 02:50

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 02:50
G'Day Keith B
Yeah it was a Toyota dealer.
FollowupID: 768304

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:25

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:25
I think when I get home tonight I'll be checking the hubs on mine. Something you don't think to check after the cars been serviced.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492576

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 13:40

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 13:40
You remember that moment of words flying, well we know that moment very well. From our truck having its first service only to require a new gear box 60km down the road which was a fair distance with out oil in it. Motor bikes serviced then turn up at an event with a bike not running properly due to something not tightened properly. Ive even had a wheel fall off while towing the camper.
AnswerID: 492584

Reply By: Member - Nick T2 - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:16

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:16
I Haven't had much luck with dealers lately. Last year I had a very near miss from another dealer when I had my 120 Prado serviced before our trip out the great central road to Uluru, the Olgas, Chambers Pillar, Lake Eyre and the Eyre Peninsular. at the service they found a dodgy engine mount but didn't have one in stock so we took the car home (140kms) for the weekend and the engine mount job was booked for the Tuesday. So the wife heads off for the dealer early in the morning and 20 mins later I came out of the house to go to work and there is a pool of oil in the carport ( about half a cup) I couldn't work out were it had come from (front Diff, Transfer case or motor) but it was the front of the car so I shot back in and called her mobile. Very luckily considering the mobile coverage I got her on the phone and asked her to look under the car for an oil leak. She had a dekko and said there was oil coming from somewhere so I said stay there I'll be down with some oil and some spanners directly. I got there 40 kms down the road had a look and the oil was coming from the sump plug. when I touched it, it moved so it wasn't even hand tight I tightened it and we checked the oil and luckily it was still OK. We were very very lucky. The service manager wasn't quite so lucky nor was the apprentice who did the deed or so they told me and we changed dealers after and then we had this years drama although not quite so potentially devastating.
AnswerID: 492622

Sponsored Links