Short trip options from Orange NSW

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 10:00
ThreadID: 97338 Views:1591 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, i am starting to set my car up to do some travelling, i grew up travelling with my brother and parents and loved it and would love to give my kids the same love of Australia and the bush/outback. My question is, where is a good spot for a short trip from Orange in NSW where we are based? i am only talking like a week or so, something to test out our setup/things we are taking and not useing etc. I have thought about something like camerons corner but i also want something that will give the kids (11 months, 4, 7, 11) something to look forward to at the end.... help please!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Honky - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 14:17

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 14:17
Silverton near Broken Hill wood be good as you can stay at the caravan park.
Let them watch mad max 1 and 2 first.
Plenty to see in Broken Hill also.

Honky
AnswerID: 492588

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 23:30

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 23:30
Wel well....another member from Orange that I didnt know existed.
X2 on the Broken Hill idea...2 days there (easy ones) and 3 there ...n 2 home.
Have done this trip about 3-4 times now...and no doubt will do it again as we will finish the Oodnadatta track sometime!!!!!..

Cheers Keith

(Lives in Orange too)
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 768298

Reply By: Greg Newell- Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 06:01

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 06:01
Try the mid north coast around Taree great forest and 4wd tracks water falls and you can camp on the beach in the national parks for a few bucks have great showers . safe beaches at crowed head and kileys beach lots to see and do for kids and adults the area around Wingham is well worth a look
AnswerID: 492624

Reply By: yumpet - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:16

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:16
Thanks guys, Keith, I think I may have met you in TJM one day actually! I have been trying to get to a 4wd club meeting but it seems I'm always working when they are on, we are originally from the mid north coast so I'm not overly interested in heading up that way again real soon. I will look into silver ton and broken hill, I remember going there as a kid.

On another point how much does everyone budget for a trip? Is there a rough amount people allow each week?
AnswerID: 492639

Reply By: funnyfarm - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:58

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:58
Hey there, i live in Orange too (or just out of orange at Mullion Creek), small world. We have only lived here for a year and before that, lived in Broken Hill for 3 years. We have 3 kids, 8, 5 and nearly 2 year old. From here to Broken Hill, it's a good 2 day drive with kids to get there. We usually stay at Nyngan or Cobar when travelling back and forth, kinda works out halfway. Not sure of suggestions for you but there is so many great things to see and do, you could always just wing it and drive until you decide to stop. If you go to Broken Hill and want a different way to come home, you could do a loop and go via Mildura. They have a great indoor wave pool that the kids will love. Down that way is also Mungo National Park which we found good.

We have just finished a 6 week trip away up to Darwin with the kids and all i can say is "take warm clothes" it was even cold up that way. I am quite enjoying being home in front of the fire with all this cold weather around.

no matter where you decide to go, hope you have a great trip and enjoy.
AnswerID: 492661

Reply By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:46

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:46
Plenty of options closer to Orange also. The bridal Track, Ophir, Glenn Davis in the Capertee valley, Newnes, The Garden of Stone NP including the Glow worm Tunnel, Kanagara Walls NP (4wd the Kowmung fire trail) including Jenolan Caves, The Abbercrombie river (Goulburn not far) Plenty of free camping and fishing around the Macquarie River near Dubbo, Windamere Dam, Dunns swamp, and then as suggested you could head to the Hill or down the Darling out through Cobar, Tilpa, Louth, Bourke and back through Nyngan. I am in Bathurst mate with a couple of kids and am essentially chasing the same thing with my crew.

Regards

Jas

AnswerID: 492891

Reply By: yumpet - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:44

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:44
yeah thanks for that Jason, will certainly have to have a look at some of them places, we are plannign to head out to Ophir some time soon (was going to be this weekend but its not exactly great weather for it) so i might have to start ticking some of them places off the list soon!

Next time your heading out somewhere around here, maybe drop me a message and we might tag along if thats alright?
AnswerID: 493110

Follow Up By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:24

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:24
No worries mate I will PM you my details. We have only been in Bathurst about 3 years so are keen to find areas close enough for weekend camps that tick the boxes with a bit of 4wding thrown in. We do plenty of week long trips all over the place but there is so much to explore right here in the mountains, its just a matter of knowing where to go.

Regards

jas
FollowupID: 768698

Follow Up By: yumpet - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 20:20

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 20:20
Hey mate try email, not a member yet, yumpet@bigpond.com would be good to find some people to camp with that are close by!
FollowupID: 768717

Sponsored Links