Forester gear changeover

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 21:06
ThreadID: 97343 Views:1548 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently stripping off the bullbar, driving lights and towbar of the MY10 on my partner's work car because the vehicle is being replaced by another Forester, although this time a diesel. I'm doing it because the dealer is 200kms away and wants big money to do it.
The bar is an ECB alloy one using a couple of special packer blocks to suit the Forester and it bolts on to two 10mm thick "towing plates". (They're like the tow plate on the RHS of the Ford Ranger chassis rail. Not the one on the left which is a big hook) I've looked at other Foresters and they don't have these towing plates, only the fragile OE tie down loops.
So it seems that these towing plates have to come off but I can't see how they're attached to the subframe.
I've given up on taking the towbar off myself because it appears that the whole back body panel has to be removed but I'd like to do the bullbar.
Does anyone have any experience of doing this?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:18

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:18
Try these guys:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/

Love your user name BTW :-)
AnswerID: 492810

Follow Up By: werewasi - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 14:04

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 14:04
thanks Sigmund. i've posted there but because it seems to be a predominantly US site, I may be lucky to get a local response.
FollowupID: 768440

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 14:22

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 14:22
Did you post in the Aus sub-section?

Or try the Aus-based:

http://offroadsubarus.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=46&

Good luck with it.
FollowupID: 768441

Follow Up By: werewasi - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 19:41

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 19:41
No, I didn't know then that there was an Aus section but it may not matter now because I sent ECB all the pics of the bits I got off so that they could see
what sort of bar it was, and they sent me back an incredibly detailed PDF with
all the installation details and pics.
I can see how it mounts after you rip off the bumper bar and fairing stuff so it's a case of reversing the process.
I just wish that I had the same explanatory guff so that i could see the best way of getting off the towbar.
Unfortunately when the towbar was fitted, the former reinforcing brace was not retrieved from the dealer and this must go back in when the towbar is removed. Now, the only source of one is from the new vehicle which means that you've got to have the two cars side by side and swop the bar to the new one and the brace to the old one.
Yes, this means that you strike a problem if you ever want to pull the towbar off the new car because you haven't got the brace that came with it when new.
Bullbar on a Forester? you say.
This all sounds crazy but her employer is obliged to have one fitted, in order to show that they have taken all posssible steps to avoid her being injured if she strikes a roo. The dealer is 250 kms away so it involves a 500km round trip, lleaving home at 5am, sitting at the dealers for most of the day, so that's why I got involved in doing some of it.
The good part is that getting a diesel means that the car can be kept for a lot longer and avoid all this messing around.
Anyway, thanks for you interest and help Sigmunf
FollowupID: 768460

Follow Up By: werewasi - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 20:27

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 20:27
make that a "d" - not an 'f'
FollowupID: 768464

Sponsored Links