4x4 mags, is it time to pick up their game

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 21:19
ThreadID: 97344 Views:3350 Replies:15 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Called into the local newsagent to grab some magazines (non 4x4) and whilst i was there I had a quick look at a few of the 4x4 magazines....

There was one I grabbed, I think it was 4x4 Australia as it didn't have Rothy and the rest of his circus on every second page.

What caught my eye was a review over 5 pages between the Holden Colorado and the Ford Ranger.... now the Ranger is more expensive by about $4000 then the Colorado and as one would expect the Ranger has a bit more going for it.

The Ranger won every test and in some by a long shot BUT when it came to the verdict guess what won..... the Colorado.... why it was cheaper.

If they are going to do a comparison of two vehicles why do the put so much on price and not what most people buy them for.... there on and off road ability, looks, comfort, handling , features and performance.

Maybe they should of compared a Great Wall or Mahindra against the Colorado..... hell the Colorado wouldn't of had a chance... miles too expensive, but I know what one most of use would of bought.

Maybe that's the reason I don't buy 4x4 magazines... or is it the 70% of content that's advertisements..... one good this I do like about them is you can pick up a current issue after not reading one for 8 months and every thing is still the same... the features, the trucks and the advertisers.... bit like ground hog day.

How many times can they do a fridge, compressor, driving light or tyre shootout or how to drive in mud, sand, rock before you get sick of it; AND then there readers rigs.... all with lift kits, lights, big tyres and all the other gear most 4x4 owners have fitted.... WOW look another Patrol, Landcruiser, Jeep, Hilux, Navara, Landrover or Suzuki like they had in the last issue.

Come on and be honest.... how many have purchased a 4x4 accessory after reading a feature review saying how much better it is then anything else on the market..... only to read a month later it's not that good and there was something better.... love fees/sponsorships for endorsements.

Out of all the publications I glance at; 4x4 magazines are the only one's who can print the same stuff over and over in every issue and get away with it and get people who should know better buying them.

That's my rant....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 21:50

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 21:50
Stopped buying 4wd mags for that very reason nearly twenty years ago, no more than advertorial for the most part with only a few contributors columns worth reading
AnswerID: 492611

Follow Up By: IronMan - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 11:31

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 11:31
I recall a 4WD Magazine regular, who will remain unnamed, saying in an article that you should not turbo your non-factory-turbo-diesel ever. Not at all. No way. Even having a photo of a Toyota 3B conrod next to a far bigger and stronger 13BT conrod. Fast forward about 2 years and this same bearded burbler is spruiking on about how great his aftermarket turbo on his 1HZ is going. Seems someone crossed his palm with coin. Again.

Like other members have said, reading magazines in newsagents is a good thing.
FollowupID: 768346

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 02:19

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 02:19
Somebody must be buying them or they wouldn't be printing them.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492621

Reply By: mikehzz - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 06:21

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 06:21
Pick up their game how? Have less advertising? That would send them broke. I'm willing to sift through the product catalogues in case there is something there. You often see something you wouldn't have thought to search for on the net. The car reviews can be interesting. Also, the trip reports can give you good ideas on where to go. I especially like it if the trip is on the dvd. I'm not interested in comp rigs or people's trucks they have modified but they have to fill the pages and suit a wide variety of tastes. It would be tough doing it every month.
Having said that, I probably buy around 2 a year and only when the car review or trip report is of interest to me. I'm going back up to Fraser later in the year due to seeing a mag dvd on it. I haven't been there for over 10 years and the dvd spurred me on to do it again. You have to take the good with the bad.
AnswerID: 492626

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:13

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:13
My guess is that Colarado spend more money on advertising than the Ranger and that's why they came out on top.
Des
AnswerID: 492638

Reply By: yumpet - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:29

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:29
i used to be into jeeps pretty heavily, it always amazed me how they would test the top of the range cruiser/patrol/disco/defender and the bottom of the range wrangler, i mean the unlimited rubicon would be hands down the most capable 4wd out of the box, diff locks, sway bar disconnects, 32" AT from factory. And the Jeep would always get battered and smashed and they would say how bad it was, there really was no continuity in thier testing so i stopped reading any comparission, it all comes down to how much money is spent in advertising as to who wins!
AnswerID: 492641

Reply By: muffin man - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:38

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:38
Dont but em but am happy to borrow them from the library to keep in touch of new products etc.
Pointless whinging about advertising, it's simply needed, a bit like this site I suppose.
MM
AnswerID: 492642

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:39

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:39
Yeah, have to agree wholeheartedly.
The only magazine I read is the freebie I get from ARB, being a previous customer.

As for comparing vehicles, one just selects a vehicle that is suitable for the purpose they want it for and the price you can justify and afford.

I have a 2009 Colorado and love it. The only other vehicle I can compare it to was the Holden Jackaroo I had before. That was OK too.

I selected the Colorado primarily on the fact I saved in the order of $12,000 off the new price for an LT/R turbo diesel, due to employee discount. (My Wife, not me)
My intention was to keep this vehicle for "ever", or at least until I'm too old to travel any more.
This may change when the new "wagon" version of the current Colorado is released towards the end of the year:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492643

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 14:41

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 14:41
Spot on and that's what I mean, you buy to your price/needs but it seems all the mags think about is price so why even compare something dearer.... maybe they think if the dearer one was bad they could drive the message home more.

They seem to think you still can get more for less.

There is nothing wrong with the Colorado except for the common little problems that all the makes seem to have..... the only thing I don't like about the new Colorado/Dmax is the dog ugly ute body with sides that curve in and I prefer the front of the Dmax over the Colorado.

Everyone has different ideas on whats good and bad..... if it wasn't the case them Great Walls would be leading the market.

Heard something funny on the radio a few days ago on a talk back radio station talking about motoring..... a female caller called and said the have just bought a 18 foot caravan for there trip around Australia and the were going to buy a new Prado..... she went on to say the saw a Great Wall and they could save tens of thousands of dollars by buying that instead of the Prado..... she wanted to know how the Prado faired against the Great Wall...... The announcer didn't know what to say..... he was speechless.

FollowupID: 768319

Reply By: Zeroland - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 14:41

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 14:41
Adding to your point, majority of us have a 4x4 vehicle so that we can explore remote areas and enjoy a lifestyle that gets us away from cities.

Unfortunately, the magazines have been built on the need for a 4x4 industry to sell stuff... buy spotlights, but we don't recommend you drive at night ; spend money on your vehicle, money which could be used for fuel to go exploring.

I realize its a tough one... the magazines needs advertising to publish ; the product companies need us to buy to sustain their business. As a result its a never ending circle of getting consumers to buy product.

As a I write this, I have a flashing advert on the screen attempting to sell me four products (fridge, GPS & ready made meals)...

Personally, I think for good relevant content, it might be back to club newsletters written by people we know, and people that have similiar interests...

My contributing rant is over...
AnswerID: 492664

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 17:53

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 17:53
I used to subscribe but don't bother any more as it is all 'same same'
What I find more annoying is the constant barrage of deals that they are sending out, buy this and get that free etc etc.
I appreciate they need to promote their mags but with the amount of spam type mail they send you they look desperate for a sale which is off putting.
AnswerID: 492673

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 18:25

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 18:25
Member - Des Lexic replied:
My guess is that Colarado spend more money on advertising than the Ranger and that's why they came out on top.
Des

thats like cooper tyres.
but with no back up when you put them to the test, their waranty!.

u used to loove 4wd action, but the people at accounts thought it was a good idea to get us 4wd custom as well, soo didnt find out for ages as i worked away, and they were not one bit interested.
magazines unopened....
chick was being a mole on the phone, refuse to but their mag now.
i feel same stuff over and over, like if i went and tracked the article back a year or soo, id find the same article.

it was pretty good, before they got realy big and custom utes, blah blah blah magazine this and that, camper trailer touring.
dvds were awesome!! though
AnswerID: 492674

Reply By: Member - Keith Berg - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 19:30

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 19:30
It seems to me that the 4WD mags and TV shows are out to convince us all that whatever we bought is crap without several thousand dollars of aftermarket accessories. ALL ex works suspensions are rubbish. You won't get anywhere without a suspension or chassis lift; never mind the extra fuel and loss of stability. An, no matter what engine you have, you NEED MORE POWER.

I think they are designed to be read by blokes without girlfriends.
AnswerID: 492677

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 21:08

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 21:08
Member - Keith Berg replied:
It seems to me that the 4WD mags and TV shows are out to convince us all that whatever we bought is crap without several thousand dollars of aftermarket accessories. ALL ex works suspensions are rubbish. You won't get anywhere without a suspension or chassis lift; never mind the extra fuel and loss of stability. An, no matter what engine you have, you NEED MORE POWER.

I think they are designed to be read by blokes without girlfriends.

new vehicles are built to a price. thats a fact.
there wouldnt be a aftermarket business if they were good straight from the showroom.
thousands of people kit their car up before they even drive it from the dealer!

we ALL want more power, towing the boat, camper or the caravan.
chips improve that damn turbo lag we all haaaaate, response and performance, and safer overtaking. and sometimes better economy.
their wouldnt be a suspension market if the factory stuff was any good for what we do.
everything you go away with has weight associated with it, fridge, camp gear, recovery gear and the extra fuel you dont normaly carry.
i put arb stuff on my cruiser, it is superb when i got a load on the back like when im heading bush, full of fuel 160ltrs to increase my range, feels like ive got coils its that good.
every 2nd real 4wder has spent serious coin to make their 4by go further, safer along with more stable at speed!! and more in line with what they want from their vehicle.

most of the guys i go with have all the fruit except lockers, and married, kids...
we build our vehicles because thats what real 4wders do.
on the next what to buy list, gotta get myself that!, or that didnt work, and improve it.
then some say well next project, once happy, then sell the car, and the bug bites hard, on the tinker my 4by never ending search for working under the hood.

we improve on what we have than make do with what were given.
same on life.

drive a stock vehicle, then a kitted out one, youll notice the difference unless your blind.
we are all out to improve our rigs....
thats what its all about.
and they do that well!!

just get out their buddy, let the bug bite, its only money.
i work too hard for my coin! and the 6days a week that im doing, soo i can get out their, more often later on.
AnswerID: 492684

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 23:13

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 23:13
Simple....if you dont like it.....dont buy it.
I personaly dont bother reading it very often, but there are obviously plenty who do and like it or they wouldnt still be printing them?
AnswerID: 492692

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 09:18

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 09:18
"Simple....if you dont like it.....dont buy it."

AArrhh..... that why I read it at the newsagency..... I would sooner give the $9.95 to a charity.
FollowupID: 768340

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:48

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:48
AArrhh......what if you stayed home instead of going to the newsagent to read a mag you dont like. Then you could just bang your head on the wall for punishment and donate your fuel money to charity as well? LOL
FollowupID: 768345

Reply By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 14:06

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 14:06
Like you I have got sick of Mags with Roothy all over them.
What mag isn't in:)

He may be an OK bloke but I just got fed up with 'buy the mag and get Roothys shirt or what ever'

The guy must be making a fortune as he is so many of them I suppose good luck to him but not from me.

Rich
AnswerID: 492706

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 14:48

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 14:48
Have been subscribing to 4WD Action for a lot of years, mainly because the nearest newsagent was almost 240km away. A quick "read" was going to take you all day!!!

Also liked to keep in touch with what was available, and the ads, so many of them, took care of that.

Now living in Winton, there's not too many ARB or OL's out here either, so it's handy to have the mag as a reference. The local newsy took offence when I wanted to borrow a copy, to read in bed that night.

Anyway the mags are a product of you, me and all the other hairy chested 4WDers out there. They want to keep selling their product, and they do it through advertising, by any means possible.

Don't like it, don't buy it! But don't put any greasy fingerprints on that "borrowed" copy, I might want to read it too.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492708

Sponsored Links