Scratches on GPS face

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 12:50
ThreadID: 97368 Views:2098 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have managed to get some scratches on the face of my hand held Garmin GPS. Does anyone know if there is a product to polish the scratches out. One patch is just a fuzzy wear mark when it rubbed against something in my pocket and the other is a scratch from a zipper when taking the GPS out.

I have now ordered some face stick on covers but would like to get the scratches out first.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 13:55

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 13:55
Hello

Toothpaste works with a bit of hard rubbing (for smaller scuff marks). Apparently you can also use Brasso (or similar).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 492705

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 14:41

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 14:41
Might work on glass or some perspex but definitely not on the soft plastic that screens are made out of - will just make things worse.

Go to your local shopping mall and visit the local kiosk that sells phone bits and they will be able to put a new cover on the screen - it is not as easy as it would seem.

Garry
FollowupID: 768359

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 15:24

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 15:24
Sorry

I should have said non-touch screen gps units - toothpaste works - I ve used it. I am not aware of any way to get scratches off gps units with touch screens. Not sure if thats the case in this instance.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 768361

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 20:59

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 20:59
Hi Greg

It is just a standard Garmin CSx 60 handheld. I tried the toothpaste for a while, it seemed to work a bit but might take a lot more elbow grease.

I read on the GPS website and others recommend tooth paste and a product by Mcguires polish called 'Plastx'. I have been working on it with this and it makes it a bit shiny but still have these scratches. Maybe they are too deep.

I will keep looking. Some super fine grinding powder. But I don't want to ruin the face. Looking for a range of suggestions.

Serendipity

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 768373

Reply By: hazo - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 14:09

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 14:09
There is a product called " Plexus" it was developed for the aviation industry for removing scratches and polishing aircraft windows etc.

It is used also for motorbike plastics, windscreens, caravan windows etc.

I got mine from a motorbike shop.

It last for ever as you only use a small amount and a lot of elbow grease.
AnswerID: 492707

Reply By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 16:04

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 16:04
hi serendipity
my neighbour used talcom powder on a scratched headlight glass on his falcon car and it got rid of them
a lot of rubbing involved of course
have you googled it something will usually come up
cheers
AnswerID: 492709

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 03:37

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 03:37
Hi,
there is a product that comes in the same format LipEze in a small lipstick type tube. It is usually sold by the mail order catalogues such as magnamail for removing scratches out of reading glasses. Sorry, can't remember product name. It works, but you do need to execise caution and go softly.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 492742

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:54

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:54
Mothers Plastic Polish will take out hairline scratches. Fine hair that is.
AnswerID: 492807

Sponsored Links