Recommended brands of motorhome

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 21:15
ThreadID: 97390 Views:2235 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we're new here! Hubby and I have decided we'd like to drive around oz with our two dogs. We've decided we'd like a converted bus and budget would be around 40-50k. We're looking at the older Coasters, Leyland or Civilian and hoping to get some advice or hear from people who have had these? Does the brand have anything to do with reliability? Hope to hear from you, thanks in advance :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: racinrob - Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 22:41

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 22:41
Just my opinion Jess but I would strongly suggest a Coaster.
Toyota parts are more readily available and go for the 6 cylinder diesel HZ engine as the earlier 4 cylinder engines were very under powered.

rr
AnswerID: 492792

Follow Up By: Jess S - Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 23:35

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 23:35
Thanks for the advice i've been struggling to find info on this. Cheers :)
FollowupID: 768417

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 14:42

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 14:42
a couple of things you might have to consider with the coaster.

If you are both on pasenger car licences, whatever coaster you get, you may have to get a GVM reduction done on it so it comes in under the 4.5 tonne GVM limit for the pasenger car licence....the factory GVM is arround 5 tonnes with a kerb weight arround 3.5 tonnes.

This is not hard to get done...a couple of friends of mine have had one done on theirs.

Also if you are thinking about towing.....make sure you check the maximum towing capacity....AND you have a tow bar rated to that towing capacity...which is not huge..

These friends rolled arround here one day towing one of their trailers......& I looked at the towbar.....MMMM...Mate...what does that trailer weigh.......xxxKg.....Um mate...that tow bar isnt rated for that.

they got it checked at a towbar joint the following day...damn straight......new tow bar easy fixed.

lots of these are fitted with light duty towbars when used as busses so they can tow a 750Kg luggage trailer...so be aware.

If it is a straight flat tongue it will be 1.5 tonne max ( some less), from memory ya get 2 tonnes with the correct bar.

2 tonnes allows you to tow a jimni (if ya carefull with weight) or a small hatch like a 121 or echo on a trailer...if ya realy carefull with ya weight a small boat on top of that.

They are a good buss the coaster...it'd be my choice

cheers

AnswerID: 492815

Follow Up By: Jess S - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 19:25

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 19:25
Thanks so much for the info, will pass on to hubby this is more his area haha. Looks like a coaster it is then :)
FollowupID: 768458

Sponsored Links