Sweaty Old Man Emu shockie

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 974 Views:4643 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
One of my 6 month old OME shockies has an oil leak. Upon returning to ARB - I was told that OME units do, indeed, 'sweat' oil in everyday use.

I pointed out that I was off to the Simpson and did not want a sweaty shock. They said that they would not replace it until it had an 'excessive' oil leak or had ceased to function completely (and I could always limp home on the remaining 3).

I think this was a complete about turn from the bull they spin at the point of sale about how tough OME is (the OME springs have noticeably sagged as well!)

Anyone else had rough after sales treatment ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
Rob,
This is my story:
I got a set of OME shocks and springs. I did complain about the sweat as you say. I was given the same answer.
I did a trip to Cape York and at 35000kms one of the front shocks started to make a noise (play in the shaft), they said they could not believe it as this was the first time etc etc. After making enough noise they replaced it under warranty but I was not happy to change just that side and they would not replace the other side so I bought the other side (at cost) and kept the good one as spare.
at 39000km one of the rears had the same problem (play in the shaft)... Same story, they replaced one and I paid for the other and I kept the good one as spare.
Now the new ones are sweaty too....
Springs are OK. My next shock are going to be Konis as I used them in the past without problems...
Will
AnswerID: 2884

Reply By: ray - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Rob, Had same problem with the last set of OME. They worked fine, but had oil stains down the front OME. They were removed and tested and passed with flying colours. Went back in and still leaked alittle oil. They are gas shockers and OME stated that the gas was fine.
AnswerID: 2887

Reply By: Goran - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

I am currently running my second set of OME shockies and never had any problems at all despite freaquent off road use.No oil or any other leaks.I am very suprised at this problems as all my mates are running them as well.
It is very unusual, in my experience for ARB staff to be treating you like that.One of my friends works for ARB franchise and he said to take the matter to the top.If your springs are coils OME they are to be replaced free.Not sure about leafs.
Cheers
AnswerID: 2905

Reply By: All Terrain 4WD Adventures - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Hey Guys,

IMHO I run and love Bilsteins and have never had a problem. They truly are a fantastic shock and they provide a very comfortable ride on road as well work damn hard off road. Stuart
AnswerID: 2907

Reply By: Ken - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
Hi, I had a similar problem with oil stains on OME shocks fitted to a Ford Courier it was only slight and the vehicle had just completed 1000 km of corrugations on the C.S.R. I Contacted my ARB agent who enquired about the problem . It seems that a certain amount of oil is trapped between the seals whe the shockies are assembled and this is subsequently forced out during severe use, I have had no further prob's and the oil leek 's appear to have dried up. Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 2938

Reply By: donalddasher - Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00
The question is if the arb sales rep at time of purchase told you that their shockers sweated ie leaked oil would you have gone ahead with the purchase. i am of the opinion that if the unit leaks (any type of shocker) the seal has been comprimised and will lead to failure. after all there is only a set volume of oil in there. cheers donalddasher
AnswerID: 2965

Sponsored Links