camping at Cocklebiddy

Hi all,

Just looking for some confirmation. We are crossing the Nullabour next week and just want to confirm Twilight Cove camping. The dirt road about 15km's East of Cocklebiddy is the track we take for beach camping at Twilight Cove?

Also is the track fairly 'easy'. We'll be fully loaded (heavy) and be alone so recovery from soft sand will be an effort; especially considering the time of day we would be arriving (late).

Thanks,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wizzer73 - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 18:32

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 18:32
This may be useful info

Site Link

We stayed at the cocklebiddy roadhouse last year and they said the twilight cove track was a fairly tough track which may take a couple of hours to do. So we went to the coast via the eyre bird observatory. This was a fairly easy track and takes you all the way to the beach. The bird observatory was worth a look.
I wouldn't tow anything down there though.

wizzer
AnswerID: 492830

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 18:57

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 18:57
Hi Gossy,

There is a more or less direct track from Cocklebiddy to the escarpment and camping area near Twilight Cove.

It's not a bad track, the only bit you may find troublesome is the track going down the escarpment. It could be done, however there are huge washaways in the centre of the track and careful driving techniques may be required.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492836

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 19:04

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 19:04
We went there late last year and the road was a bit rough, the last bit of the track has you dropping probably 30m down the escarpment where the track had a fair bit of washout damage and a small step off the rock shelf on the top. I think it took over 2 hours to get there.
The camp sites are quite nice, in the sand dunes and sheltered from the beach, and with a lot of tree cover. You have to walk over a few dunes to get to the actual beach though.
Wasnt too bad really, but I wouldnt be going down there if there is rain about.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492837

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 19:08

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 19:08
great info all, thanks,
AnswerID: 492838

Sponsored Links