Camper trailer tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 17:16
ThreadID: 97431 Views:6279 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all.

No, I don't want to open a can of worms, but what sort of tyres do you run, on a camper trailer, and I mean brand tyres or Chinese ones. Considering that they don't carry a great weight, and as long as they have a good tread.

I have to change the ones on the camper and I was quoted $ 260 for 31x10.5x15 Cooper AT3, but they suggested I put Westlake CR 857 Mud Terrain at $ 150.
Have you ever heard of Westlake??

Thanks in advance

Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 17:33

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 17:33
Hi Rob,

I don't have a view on brands but it can be unproductive to put cheap or low-grade tyres on a trailer, especially if going off the bitumen.

Tread pattern may not be too important as they are not driving although they should have at least legal tread depth. However they are subject to the same forces as the car.

Bear in mind that if you get a leak in the car tyre you have some chance of becoming aware of it due to vehicle handling changes but low pressure in a trailer tyre will probably go un-noticed until disaster occurs!

If the rims are interchangeable with the car then it can be useful to use the same tyres so that the spare is fully interchangeable.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492934

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 18:48

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 18:48
Rob,

I run the same size rims and the same size and brand of tyres as what I have on my vehicle.
This gives me two spares which is a distinct advantage when travelling in remote areas.

Although I have a tyre repair plug kit, there are times when due to sidewall damage, a tyre may not be repairable.

I do not believe in the false security of cheap tyres, but also don't necessarily buy the most expensive ones either.

I have been a user of Bridgestone Duelers for quite a while now and now use the light truck construction which has more robust sidewalls.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492938

Reply By: Member - Josh- Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:59

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:59
I agree with sand man. We had exact same tyres and rims on the trailer as the car when we did our lap. I had a spare on the car and 2 on the trailer. I rotated them all regulary so got good mileage. It meant if we had a really bad day with puntures we were covered. In remote areas it is important the be able to switch tyres and rims.

Josh
AnswerID: 492943

Follow Up By: Member - Grant- Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:45

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:45
I have the same type of tyre and same size rim on my trailer. That way when we go into the bush I can interchange the tyres.
My experience is that you get a lot of advice and suggestions from people that have never done remote travel.
Your advice needs to come from people who understand and are experienced in remote travel.
As far as weight goes, my trailer tyres are carrying as much or more weight than the car tyres. The Prado loaded would be close to 3 tonne, the kimberley Kamper trailer loaded would be close to 1.5 tonne.
I think you save money by buying quality.
FollowupID: 768549

Follow Up By: Off-track - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:55

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:55
Grant has a very good point there and one that is often misjudged; that being the actual load each tyre is carrying. A lot of people dont realise that in most cases the tyres on their camper are actually carrying more weight than their car.
FollowupID: 768552

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 21:24

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 21:24
Hi we also run the same wheels and tyres on the camper as the tow vehicle as well as spares , its worth the expense if you have several flats in the bush.
cheers Judy
AnswerID: 492949

Reply By: Hi-ryder - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 06:01

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 06:01
I have a set of Chinese tyres on 4wd and camper . Light truck is the key with weight . Usually better side wall construction . Tyre size the same on both . I have a brand called Goodride so far so good . LT is your best option .
AnswerID: 492955

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 04:20

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 04:20
Rob

Same as your vehicle, Mate
Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 493014

Sponsored Links