Kangaroo Island by Caravan?

Submitted: Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 00:15
ThreadID: 97462 Views:2455 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We would like to visit Kangaroo Island this spring in our full size (6m) off road van and want to know if there are any sites suitable outside of the caravan parks. We don't need facilities just a bit of room.

Previous threads were great for what to see and do.

Thanks,
Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:16

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:16
Hi Paul, we visited KI in May,left van on mainland..Rapid Bay. We were only there 2
days & it was cheaper to get accom than take the van on the ferry. I dont know how
long you planned to be there, but check the ferry costs..horrendous for a big van & the local roads dont really lend themselves to towing it around, only a couple of van
parks & appeared to be limited casual camping.
Dont miss the sea lion thing & take the tour...fabulous..The NP is nice too..apart from
that we were totally underwhelmed..the best bit being allowed on an earlier return
ferry than planned. Probably cop it from KI lovers ,but thats how we saw it.
cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 493027

Follow Up By: Member - Paul L (VIC) - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:35

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:35
Thanks oldbaz,
It's a long time since I last spent time on the island and want to stay more than a couple of days. You were right about the ferry costs - wow!! But if I get any good recommendations I'll probably still go across.
Thanks for the heads up.
Paul
FollowupID: 768639

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:51

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:51
Paul, we found that accom booked with the ferry ,on the ferry site, significantly reduced the ferry cost & gave a discount on the accom as well. Not sure if this was a
"special" or not ,but may be worth the exercise to see how it compares to taking the
van over ,or just the car..cheers....oldbaz.
Forgot to mention..the little museum at Penneshaw is a beauty..
FollowupID: 768642

Reply By: jim h4 - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:06

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:06
We took our van across some years ago. On the ferry we met a local who suggested we stay at Stokes Bay.Basically it's in the middle of the northcoast. The site is very basic thyen with only facilities being a drop toilet wiith a solar powered light and a water tank attached. It made a good base to explore the island from and if your lucky enough to meet one of the locals there you may even score a crayfish or two as we did. Yes I would recommmend that site to you. Lots of space for any size rig.
AnswerID: 493037

Follow Up By: Member - Paul L (VIC) - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:48

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:48
Thanks Jim,

Sounds lust like what I had in mind. I looked it up on Google and found a phone number to contact. One more spot like this one and I'm away.

Thanks again,

Paul
FollowupID: 768641

Sponsored Links