Cracks in Caravan windows - just a "heads up"

Submitted: Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 07:57
ThreadID: 97472 Views:7633 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Folks,
This might be of interest to some of you... We bought a new Jayco (17.55-3 OB) in Jan 2011. We havent done a lot of travelling yet and about 6 months after picking the van up I noticed hairline cracks appearing from the bottom of the windows and spreading upwards. The longest crack was about 60mm or so. Both windows on the "passenger" side of the van showed similar cracking. The windows are the tinted bubble type as sold by Camec.
I reported the cracks immediately to Jayco as I believed it to be a Warranty issue and they agreed. I knew that it would be some time before I could get to an Agent to have the repairs carried out. (2 to 3 days and about 900 klms round trip).
To cut along story short the windows were replaced by a local Camec Agent - I had to pay a call-out fee and labour. Whilst the Agent was here he checked the window on the "drivers" side and found that a crack had appeared in that window also. Camec had agreed to replace that window also (about a month ago).
At the time of the initial replacement of the two windows it was insinuated that I was to blame for the cracking and I was given "the benefit of the doubt" regarding the damage and replacement. There is no obvious sign of impact, scraping or anything else on the windows or caravan.

It may be worth checking your van windows for cracks appearing so you have an opportunity for a Warranty claim. I do hope though you don't have similar problems.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Polaris - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:13

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:13
Thanks for sharing the info and the 'heads up' Mapesy.

Will keep a close eye on same type of windows on our 2012 Sterling 17.55-4 OB.
AnswerID: 493025

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:43

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:43
We had the same problem with double glazed Dometic windows . The cracks were around the lock handles. They were replaced under warranty.

The windows we have are being installed in most new caravans.
FollowupID: 768634

Reply By: JimDi - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 15:24

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 15:24
Hi Mapesy,
Had a problem about five years back. My problem was that my windows on our dual axle caravan kept opening whilst travelling which was frustrating as there seemed no apparent reason for it.
The problem turned out to be a cracked weld in the upright that joined the dual axle springs. I hope that makes sense. Prior to discovering the real problem I was seriously going to replace the windows. The cracked weld allowed the upright to become "floppy" whilst travelling thus causing the chassis to flex,I think. Had the weld repaired and the problem ceased.

Anyway I thought I might just throw this comment in , just in case your problem happens again it just made me think that the cracks may be caused by something other than hat may appear to be poor quality windows.
Jim
AnswerID: 493061

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 09:57

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 09:57
Something to think about.Ill be under ours this weekend ill have a look too.
FollowupID: 768691

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 10:05

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 10:05
Our top bunk Camec window cracked (assuming) on the way home from the show room, we never opened it, noticed it while walking around the van at home. The seal was also hanging. It was fixed under warranty. At $700 a window plus labour, not a cheap warranty item for them.
AnswerID: 493105

Sponsored Links