So many places

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 00:30
ThreadID: 97488 Views:1500 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I am in the process of trip planning heading round oz in Jan 13

planning to head from Tas to Vic up to the Murray river reagion then to Adelaide for starters

travelling with my dog so does any body have any tips to where to start there are so many places to choose from

any info and or tips would be of great value

Thanks in advance

ps cant wait :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: martin c1 - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:04

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:04
You dont say for how long. hope you intend over 9 months. Northwest cape & Ningaloo Reef are great even if you dont snorkel. The wet season in north aust is a wonderful experience. We locals love it. Not as hot as you are led to believe, as it is mostly overcast and breezy. Local flooding may cause delay for a day or so when on the road, but if you are delayed you will have good company. So it looks like you need over a year, or another trip.
AnswerID: 493107

Follow Up By: wemont - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 22:08

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 22:08
Thanks for the reply's

Ill be going for an extended time travelling in a 2wd, but I don't mind where this takes me me and my dog will be having a great time

Wemont
FollowupID: 768729

Follow Up By: martin c1 - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 16:05

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 16:05
Forgot to say that we found 'The Lonely Planet' (aust) a great guide, and their 10 must do tips for each state were spot on with our experience. You will have a great time. regards marty.
FollowupID: 769067

Reply By: RodnSue - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:10

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:10
Hi wemont
You don’t say how long you will be travelling for & whether you are towing anything or not or whether you can be self sufficient. What type of vehicle you have can determine where you can go. Will you be going off road or staying on the bitumen? Many of the better places to visit are via rough corrugated roads.

There are too many variables with out knowing further details.
You will still enjoy yourself if you don’t have a 4x4 as many folk here will tell you.

I haven’t visited Vic yet, so I can’t comment on what to see down that way.

If you do a search in ‘Places’ on this forum you will get an idea of temps & rainfall etc. Also check out road reports if necessary.

We have a Camps Australia book that has full list cheap van parks <$25 & free camping places if you can’t get a park with your 4 legged friend, or just want to get away from the crowded van parks. January is still school holidays.
There’s a list of dog friendly van parks on Badger’s web site – it’s linked with another van forum – just follow the links when you google.

We visited information centres in most major towns & got booklets for that area & for the next region in the direction you’re going. Word of mouth from travellers going in the opposite direction from you is also great.
Most national Parks don’t allow dogs, but I think some folk find dog kennels for that duration if they want to visit those areas. We visited dozens of NP’s on our trip as they’re just beautiful places to be in.
I’m not sure about Vic & SA, but you can purchase NP passes for a set duration to lighten the wallet long term.

You can spend a lot of your spare time reading the many blogs on this forum that are great reading as part of your research. Mine is www.ournomadicways.blogspot.com for some of the Murray River to Adelaide, western ½ of SA, plus WA & NT.

Hope you enjoy your trip. The pre trip excitement is almost like a kid in a toy shop
Cheers
Sue

AnswerID: 493108

Follow Up By: wemont - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 23:11

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 23:11
Hi Sue

Thanks for the reply

Will be travelling in a 2wd have my courier twin cab set up ( almost there's always something to add) and my dog Monty ( King Charles Beagle)

I have a camps 6 book and was just given a 12watt Solar panel and led kit for a gift have not much knowledge on these but should be helpful I guess

I have been to Vic on a trial mth while back with my dog to see how he went was great lots of free camps I loved Joannah Beach and Firth Park both great spots

Enjoy
Wemont
FollowupID: 768958

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:23

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:23
G'day wemont
Irrespective of other advice, all good and helpful, be aware the first 3 months of the trip, if an extended one, may be/will be HOT weather everywhere. Sometimes over 40 degrees.
If you also have a dog with you then it will require some consideration for the camping situations.
AnswerID: 493114

Sponsored Links