Comment: Great Western Woodlands

Having been very pleasantly surprised by the GWW west of the Norseman - Kalgoorlie Road, we would definitely try this trek next time we are heading that way - hopefully in Oct 2012 - so have really appreciated this article. The estimate of 4h 30m travelling time, but 6 days to do the trek is the way I like to travel - plenty of time to have a good look at what might be there. Incidentally, botanically plant names should have the genera with a capital letter, and the species with a lower case i.e Eucalyptus flocktoniae.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:48

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:48
Always wonderful to hear of people enjoying the Goldfields woodlands, Jenny. Not just west of Kal & Norseman either. Some of the tracks south east from Kal along the old Lakewood woodlines take you through some wonderful country all the way down to the Eyre Hwy. Have a look at the treks on Exploroz.com for some great hints.
AnswerID: 493171

Follow Up By: Jenny 2J - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:21

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:21
Thanks, Paul. I am very new to this site – its amazing! The more I read, the more I wonder how I am going to have enough time to visit all these wonderful places!
FollowupID: 769001

Reply By: ExplorOz - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 14:59

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 14:59
Thanks Jenny,
I noted your comment re: punctuation/capitalisation so I think I've amended all the occurrences. My fault I should have proof-read this one better ;) Let me know if I've missed any.

Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 493261

Follow Up By: Jenny 2J - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:17

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:17
Many thanks, Michelle. The trek makes even better reading now! I am very interested in the flora of the various regions. When we left Cave Hill and surrounds we went on to Kalgoorlie for two days. Unfortunately the weather was very wet but I did manage to spend an hour in the arboretum there, which helped in identifying some of the trees I had seen. I am sure your description of Eucalyptus flocktoniae and the other common bushes will help me identify them next time we are there. I do have some floras but they mostly concentrate on the SW rather than Eremaean plants.
FollowupID: 768999

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:26

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:26
Well Jenny full credit must go to Member - John Baas, who you'll see listed is the original "author" of this one. We like to encourage people share their knowledge - supplying the information for the trek notes such as this one, are just an example of some of the things people can do. John is a long-term valued site Member who is well travelled, and has documented quite a few other treks also. I'm glad to see people enjoying the "environment' & history sections we include in our trek notes. We are very much hoping to encourage people to read up before they travel, and when out there, to look around, to explore with their eyes, hearts, and ears when they travel - its less about the vehicle/road than what you experience as you go.
Enjoy,
Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 769004

Sponsored Links