water storage for 4wd

Hi there

Planning a trip to Alice Springs from Sydney in october (Im doing a three month secondment there for work) and then plan to do a loop around Australia the following year.

Just wondering thoughts on flexitank vs jerry cans for water storage. The flexitank I was interested in is 50L and hangs off the cargo barrier behind the second row of seats in my 4wd. Great use of space but wanted to know if any one has any bad experiences with them?

Do they make the water taste 'plasticy'?
Is it easy to get all of the water out of them or are they prone to stagnant water that grows stuff?
There is also a 55L tank that lies in the foot groove behind the front row of seats. Does anyone think this would be a better option than the hanging tank? (Only two of us travelling but do expect to have friends etc in second row of seats sporaldically, which means they rest thir feet on the tank)

The advantage of them over the jerry cans is usage of space but just wondering thoughts/opinions.

Here is a link which shows some pictures of them...

https://ftaustore.com/products/50-ltr-HiLux-Dual-Cab-%7B47%7D-Universal-hanging-4x4-bladder-tank.html

Thanks,

James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 07:03

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 07:03
James, the flexi tank looks to be a very practical solution to carting water and utilises a normally wasted space. I have used one of the products before and the water was not tainted at all. I will investigate these further as it looks to be a solution to a water storage problem I have at present. Cheers.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493152

Reply By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 08:12

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 08:12
G'day James, I've got a 50litre bladder that lies on the floor behind the seats; water tastes fine even after a few weeks and it's easy enough to get ALL the water out at the end of a trip. I do secure it down to the floor as I don't want it moving around in case of an accident. If I take passengers in the back I just throw an old tarp or blanket over the bladder to protect it a bit. Hasn't leaked yet!
Cheers,
AnswerID: 493157

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 08:40

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 08:40
The alternative to a flexible tank is a rigid tank. I have a dollium tank between the second row of seats and the cargo barrier in my Prado. See their range of tanks here
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493161

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 23:21

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 23:21
Also consider lots of used PET drink bottles stashed in amongst your other gear. You can carry a lot of water that way... easy to handle and if one breaks you don't lose the lot.
AnswerID: 493227

Sponsored Links