Snorkel for LC80-1HD FT

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 19:44
ThreadID: 9753 Views:3398 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys

I have done a search & seems like there is a slight hint that Safari is the one. Some of the comments are summerized below:
1) More noise created which is unbearable. Regretted it.
2) Safari over Airtek or most others.
3) More dust /dirt ingress due to ram air effect.
4) Economy may take a back seat.

It is a valuable item for protecting the engine when going thru water and even if it worked once in it entire life, it is worth the investment. But it must not affect the normal working of the motor. So hence my question:

Could you guys pls forward your feelings & findings about your precious Snorkel. Good or bad.

Thanks

Wil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Karl - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:09

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:09
My opinions and based on the fact that I have one fitted are as follows:

1. Increased noise is almost un-noticable and I normally drive with my windows down.

2. I chose Safari because I liked the design and it was priced right.

3. In three years of it being fitted I haven't noticed any more dust etc.

4. I haven't noticed any difference with the economy one way or the other; however, I was advised that it would be a benifit when I had my turbo fitted.

I haven't done any water crossings where I have sunk the bonnet yet (and I don't wish too), but it looks good fitted.
Everyone is entitled to have an opinion - just make sure that yours is correct.
AnswerID: 43011

Reply By: Rob H - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:17
Hi Wil

I've decided not to go for the snorkel option.

My view is that if it's deep enough to need a snorkel, it's too deep to be doing it anyway. Mind you, mine's a petrol 80 series and therefore depth is limited by splash from fan onto electrics more than anything else.

If yours is a diesel (don't know whether that;s indicated by 1HD FT), then I'd say a snorkel is a must as water + diesel engine = lots of money for repair. It will also expand your options though, as I understand diesel engines can be almost submerged as long well waterproofed etc.

Just don't forget to do the diff breathers if they're not already done. Very easy and cheap, and the first requirement.
AnswerID: 43014

Follow Up By: Wil - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:08

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:08
Hi Rob H

Yes mine's a diesel and will perform both the breather & snorkel at once.

Cheers mate
FollowupID: 305349

Follow Up By: Steve L - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:38

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:38
Rob,

I've seen what water can do to a petrol engine - even 'shallow' water - so I don't think you should make a snorkel decision solely on your stated views. Sure it's cheaper to fix than a diesel, but it certainly isn't cheap.

I have a petrol 80 with a Safari snorkel (no increased noise or dust or fuel consumption) and as an avid 4WDer wouldn't be without it. There is no minimum water depth where you 'require' a snorkel - the splash can just as easily go into the intake as into the electrics. Apart from that, who's to say if you miss your line while crossing water and drop into a deeper hole, or it rains while you're away and that shallow creek you crossed has risen but you need to cross it to get home?

Sorry, but a snorkel is cheap insurance for both petrols and diesels whether you think you'll be crossing deep water or not. Don't forget one of the espoused benefits of a snorkel has nothing to do with water - it is to pull cleaner air from higher up than the usual intake.

Steve
FollowupID: 305354

Follow Up By: Rob H - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:46

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:46
Hi Steve

Thanks for your comments - the underlying reason for my snorkel decision is that we're setting our rig up for a three month trip, and then having to sell everything as we are going overseas.

It a simple case of we're spending so much making sure we've got the basics - compressor, recovery gear, communications etc. - that we saw a snorkel as avoidable as we can avoid situations where one may be required. Hence my comment above about if it's deep enough to need a snorkel, it's too deep anyway.

I do really appreciate your advice though - it raises some factors for me to be aware of in even shallow water crossings!
Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 305377

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 22:35

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 22:35
Wil,

We have a 97 1HD-FT, with a Safari snorkel, and in the couple of years that its been fitted haven't noticed any change to:
Noise - no noiser I don't think, but we drive with windows up, as too bloody hot up here to have them down.
Economy - Can't say that it has improved, but certainly hasn't got worse. A trip to NT, in Oct '03, saw fuel figures from 12L/100 to 15/100, sitting on 110-120 clicks.
Dust - will be less in any slower work, because of height above ground. At speed, it should same or less than standard. We don't make it a habit of following too close to other vehicles, unless you're trying to pass a road train.

The only point I can see in favour of the Airtek, is that it sits closer to body at the top. The Safari could get the ram knocked off by enthusiastic driving in scrubby country, because of the way the ram is away from the A pillar.

It doesn't take much depth of water to get it to cover the headlights, when fording, at even a sedate pace, and that's where the standard intake is. A $350 snorkel is cheap insurance!

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 43036

Follow Up By: Wil - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:24

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:24
Hi Bob Y.

Yes I can see your point about the airtek's Ram head.

I reckon Airtek's only good from the look point of view. The shorter body before diving into the fender means less plastic visible. The big down side is there's a "S" bend intermediate snorket tube within the fender. This is where I reckon the design is too complicated and may even be a snorkel for a few other models.

Looks like the Safari takes the body all the way and penetrate the fender at the position of the OEM intake. Reckon it's a better design and more logical. I may be wrong but nevertheless, it's about where she's located. Performance wise, you guys are the expert.

Thanks for the reply and I would appreciate more comment before making up my mind. Can just about see one on the truck already!

Cheers
FollowupID: 305352

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 23:30

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 23:30
Hi Will
I wouldnt hesitate with a diesel, think of it as cheap insurance, you wont be using more fuel like a petrol might, and you will be drawing cleaner and cooler air from the roofline.
The new Safari snorkels for the 80 are majik aswell.
Andrew
94 fzj80 petrol.wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 43051

Follow Up By: Wil - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:30

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:30
Hi Andrew

Is there an updated model? Cheers
FollowupID: 305353

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:37

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:37
Yes, and they look elnt, rounder at the guard but not as long.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 305356

Follow Up By: Wil - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:32

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:32
Hi Andrew
Just the same questions that I have asked troy below. Could you pls give us your comment: fitting materials. Workmanship is a difficult issue, I know, but it is the though of drilling holes and lack of proper curing time for the paint/s and the use of zinc plated or worst chromium treated hardware that really gets up my nerves. Really serious about letting them cut the holes & I will install, but it is also the warranty that I wanted.
This is the main issue holding me up.
Could you also have a look for us?
Cheers
Wil
FollowupID: 305617

Reply By: troy - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 21:08

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 21:08
I have had my snorkle (Safari) for about 5 years. The only probs i have had with it is that at around 2200 rpm's it can vibrate - tweek the screws and no probs.
Fuel economy is the same, makes water crossings stress free (relative), no more noise other then what i have already said.
Great addition to your 4WD
Troy

AnswerID: 43173

Follow Up By: Wil - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 07:32

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 07:32
Hi Troy

Does the screws at the top (to the pillar) go into nutserts (pop on nuts) SS or metal) or plastic plugs like the Airtec ones?
The Safari is about $90 dearer then Airtec. Is that about right?

Cheers
FollowupID: 305518

Follow Up By: troy - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 22:54

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 22:54
From memory there is a bracket screwed to the pillar and then the snorkel is screwed to the bracket.
I'll double check in the Am and tell u if its different
they are metal screws by the way.
i paid about $450 - 470 for the snorkle cannot remember as i cannot find the reciept.
how much have u been quoted for the safari and airtec?
Troy
FollowupID: 305586

Follow Up By: Wil - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 07:55

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 07:55
Hi Troy
Installation prices varies abit from each ARB agent. Installed incl GST all comes to $600 for Airtek and $697 for Safari. Looks about right against what you paid.
I am wanting Safari but a bit concern about them not using Stainless steel componentry. Being in the industry that uses S.S hardware, I have a tendency to use S.S (where possible) on all my projects: Home & Play. Would not like to see anything else and would gladly supply my own S.S fitings for them to install the Snorkel. (no need for high tensile fittings for Snorkels anyhow)
Their Catalogue do not illustrate all these properly. Could you pls have a visual look and come back to me?
Cheers mate
FollowupID: 305610

Follow Up By: troy - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:34

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:34
Sorry Wil
the screws are metal and on mine this is evidence of surface rust in the top of the screw but nowhere else.
The ARB store that i took it to was most accomdating as they fitted an extra tow hook (that i suppied) to the front of the bull bar for no extra cost. I had the snorkle and bull bar done on the same day.
I believe that if u wanted SS screws then talk to the rep and see what they could do.
By the way where r u situated in the country?
Troy

FollowupID: 305715

Follow Up By: Wil - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:21

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:21
Hi Troy
Interesting about the screws corrosion. As I have suspected, they don't use S.S fixings. Maximium profit is more like it.
Anyhow I'll strip it & replace fixings after fitment. Fingers cross.
Sydney...
Cheers
Wil
FollowupID: 305807

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 14:59

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 14:59
Gday
Unless things have changed, the Safari top brace uses the plastic doovers that push through a drilled hole and are secured by the self tapper that screws into its centre.
There seems to be no rust problems associated with this setup, nor the body securing setup along the guard. I would ask the fitter to put some stickerflex around the guard mounting studs, (supplying it for them if it is not a std proceedure)
The safari has a larger diameter tubing to the air cleaner aswell, compared to the airtech, so i would stick with that brand (i have one aswell, so i may be biased)
What really sticks out is your comment about selling it later, i must admit, when it comes to resale, a snorkel can put some off, and make others keener to purchase, depending on what they want out of the cruiser, so, it is up to you....ask yourself, if u come accross deep water on your trip, and you have the snorkel on, but are with noone else, will you proceed or turn back???
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 43337

Follow Up By: Wil - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 19:59

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 19:59
Hi Andrew
I guess it depends. It is at the entry into the water that tends to pose a danger, otherwise my theory is if it is about plate level and base is firm. I should be able to go thru. May walk & check it first B4 crossing.
Will push it if there is a situation and knowing that I can is terrific. I'll go with Safari..Thanks for the info.
Wil
FollowupID: 305655

Sponsored Links