Satelite and Solar

I will be travelling round oz in Jan 13 and am getting organised
I will be travelling in a 2wd and tent camping for an extended period mostly doing free camps so off the beaten track is in order. I am wanting to have some type of satellite dish / setup with me. Also what would the best type of solar set up be

Any help advise would be great

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:26

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:26
Satellite for what. Phone, internet or TV??? What do you want to run on solar, this will determined how big a system you will need. More information is needed
AnswerID: 493313

Follow Up By: wemont - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:48

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:48

Sorry should have mentioned this
Sat TV

Has for Solar this to Car battery's and Laptop, Camera etc.

I have a fridge and Freezer that connects to my inverter while on the move and Gas at free camp

FollowupID: 768957

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 13:52

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 13:52
Hi Wemont,
I guess you means satelite TV, as opposed to phones, when you say "dish".

I have no experience with them so others will have to help there.

Regards solar, I assume you are talking 12 volt power to supply fridges and the like.

In that case I would get a minimum 140Watt folding unit with an MPPT 20 amp regulator and a couple of 100 amp hour batteries. This should supply most if not all of your needs with regard to refrigeration and charging lights and phones etc.

The various chargers which run off 12 volts for your camera battery and the like are more or less a necessity. Easily purchased from ebay if you do not already have them.

My caravan gets by with 1 x 80 watt solar unit but I am using gas refrigeration.
However I also have a 160 watt folding solar unit with an MPPT 30 amp reg which is perfect for running the Waeco as well as anything else.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493331

Reply By: dean r2 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 18:55

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 18:55
hi wemont
at the moment i am travelling in my caravan with my austar box and a satalite dish.
the austar box only draws 50watts and my tv only draws 36 watts so i bought a 200watt inverter and whille free camping i run both of these off the 110amp hour battery in the van with no troubles at all, so is you have austar or foxtell get yourself another dish and an inverter and away you go.

AnswerID: 493351

Follow Up By: fawkesp - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:50

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:50

I have an Austar box at home and a dish on the roof. Obviously I can take the box with me (with an inverter) but do I need a special dish?

FollowupID: 769022

Follow Up By: dean r2 - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 08:43

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 08:43
the 1 on the roof would be the best so you should either use that 1 or get 1 the same. it needs to have the same LMB frequency which is 10.7 11.75 ghz you should also look on ebay for a satalite finder i just have a cheap 1 and it works fine. also you will need the cables that connect the box to the power and the tv as well as the cables from the austar box to the satalite.
hope this helps.
FollowupID: 769035

Reply By: Rosss- Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 22:39

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 22:39
get a VAST decoder box and a 75cm dish and you can have high definition TV anywhere in the country.

cheers Ross.
AnswerID: 493429

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)