Purchasing Vehicle from Eastern States to WA?

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:08
ThreadID: 97553 Views:3891 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
G'day

I was looking (And nearly purchased a Mazda BT50) until I visited a dealer and found the VW Amorak, wow what a Ute, I had written it off due to only 120 Kw of power and a much lower towing capacity than the others.

Boy was I wrong, I have now decided to buy one and spoke to a couple of sales staff in WA (I use the term sales staff whilst trying not to punch a wall)

I was quoted $47,000 drive away for the Trendline Ute with nothing thrown in, a check on line found that the same Ute with about $3000 of extras can be driven away in the Eastern States for about $43,000, these prices include all fees and taxes.

Questioned the dealer, its all about taxes and each state is different and they have a small margin on the vehicles.

Has anyone any history of buying a vehicle and bringing it to WA, I am am thinking that as a lot of caravans etc are purchased from the ES that someone may have a bit of knowledge on it.

If it was a case of a few hundred dollars it would not be a problem but several grand is money for a few extras and a holiday.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Thinkin - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:37

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:37
Hi There,
For that price difference your talking about, make sure that its not a 2011 plated model, there could still be some around.
regards Alpero
AnswerID: 493320

Reply By: SDG - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:57

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:57
Could always fly over and start your holiday from the east. Depending of course what the airfare will cost you.
AnswerID: 493322

Follow Up By: 4 runner - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:04

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:04
Think it was more the issue of registering the vehicle over here would I be paying stamp duty again which over here was about $2900...

I have asked a vehicle broker for some quotes, never been down that track before but why not.
FollowupID: 768905

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 17:52

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 17:52
I looked at a vehicle broker to buy the last vehicle I purchased. They gave me quotes and asked all sorts of questions, to arrive at a quote but I found I could just walk into a dealership and buy it cheaper. The only advantage it was going to be delivered to my door with a full tank of fuel.
FollowupID: 768931

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:33

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:33
You DO NOT have to pay stamp duty to transfer an interstate rego.
It is only to transfer into your name.
I have done it. But best do it from Queensland, its easier and cheaper on Stamp Duty.
FollowupID: 768953

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 13:53

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 13:53
Regarding the price. Nearly all imported vehicles into Australia are around double the cost the dealer pays for them. eg dealers buys for his yard at $24000 and sells the vehicle to you for around $47000. Fact of life.

The Amarok is a nice vehicle but one owner recently reported, on the 4th tankfull from new, the high pressure pump and injectors are ruined because dirty fuel got through. If the system is doing what it is designed to do how did it get that far. Repair bill to owner, $10,000, VW say it is not their fault, no warranty given. Most vehicles will tell you of the impending problem.

The Amarok has as you said is 120kw. but because of the small, 2litre engine it has NO torque at very low revs. I drove one and stalled it twice while driving forward, not stopping. To used to a Landcruiser possibly.
The Amarok is more complex in the electricals but many others are getting there too.
Before you buy one check out, in detail, ALL you have to do to have extras like brake controllers and auxilliary battery systems fitted so you know the limitations/what you have to do, beforehand. No good finding out after there is complications.
If you are going to buy in ES and drive it across you can get a permit and then reg it in the west.
Will the dealer you didn't buy it off be ready, willing and able to help with servicing and warranty repairs. Many dealerships are very don't like it if you didn't buy from them. No doubt the double their buy price has something to do with it. However, I realize they must all make a profit to be in business.

The dealer should be able to match Eastern states prices or are they just going higher because they can play Monopoly? Ask VW.

Just a few thoughts.
AnswerID: 493332

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:33

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:33
All common rails will suffer major damage from dirty fuel. Not just the VW, and none of them will pick it up early enough. I remember when the 200 series first come out, the local dealership had about 5 or 6 in there all with major damage done. Thats about $500,000 worth of vehicles all stuffed from dirty fuel.

Relative has just had dirty fuel through his 2.8 Patrol, and its cost him over $3500. Non common rail. So really the common rails arent that bad. I can get a motor off wreckers for a BT50 for around $3500 complete. I would just do that rather then buy brand new, take off what i need and flog it off again or turf it. VW may be different as not many around yet.

BIL purchased a 2nd hand Hilux from over east, and when he got it to WA he had to put it over the pits and pay stamp duty etc. Cost him about $3500 i think. Plus the cost of the train ride over. He still saved about $5k to what people were asking in WA back then but and it had all the goodies he wanted. He actually sold it 2 years later for $2k more here in WA.
FollowupID: 768936

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:41

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:41
Muntoo if your BIL had bought it in Qland he could have transferred it for about $900 there then just put it over the pits here for $100.
FollowupID: 768954

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 09:31

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 09:31
QUOTE: "Regarding the price. Nearly all imported vehicles into Australia are around double the cost the dealer pays for them. eg dealers buys for his yard at $24000 and sells the vehicle to you for around $47000. Fact of life."

Can you substantiate that statement?
It may apply to parts & accessories, but after selling new vehicles for nearly 20 years, I can assure you that it is wildly inaccurate.

FollowupID: 768965

Reply By: Trev&Ness B - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:25

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:25
4 runner

we bought a camper from vic and saved $5000. The only issue was rego, we put it on the back off a truck to get it here. We had to pay for a permit in vic and also one for wa. One of my mates buys busses from qld and he has to get a seperate permit for each state to drive it home. Unless you know someone in the state your buying it from so you can rego it to them and just transfer it when the rego is up. If its from a dealer it wont happen. We pay to much for stuff here for no reason. Apparently everyone thinks we all work in the mines and they price accordingly.
hope that helps
trev
AnswerID: 493352

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:29

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:29
sorry mate, permits are only $50 or so
FollowupID: 768935

Follow Up By: Member - silvwayne - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:35

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:35
rchased a ute in qld, only had to pay for a permit in Qld which allowed me to drive it to Vic,

Wayne
FollowupID: 768937

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:41

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:41
Oh well that makes one less permit you need, thats a good thing. WA police are pricks they sit on then great eastern hwy into perth and wait for people to come in. I had to buy the permit in perth even though i towed the van less than 500m to the lic centre.
FollowupID: 768938

Follow Up By: auzinomad - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 20:42

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 20:42
If you can prove in WA that you have owned the vehicle more than a year, which means a renewal at least once in Vic, there is almost NO cost or pit inspection.
I have had it done with a van and also a ute.
Something to think seriously with any European Vehicle is the brake servicing.
The specs for a stop , forget the distance / time, in Europe is Without any Power Brakes.
In Au its with Power brakes, engine off.
This means that the rotors and disc pads are gunna cost you Motza $. earlier.
If you wanna check this ask a few "exotic" owners how soon the brakes had to be replaced and the $ involved.

Ron
FollowupID: 768942

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:43

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:43
Softer rotors and pads.....they brake much better.
When they wear out just purchase after market pads and rotors. Did that with my touareg and have now done 80k on the replacement set and just over half worn....brand was rda I think.
Toaureg is the best vehicle I have owned to date.....but it ain't a hard core 4wd like my previous utes and 100 series.
If they had the 3 litre in the amarok I would purchase it in a heart beat.
A neighbour has an amarok, and traded his 2008 hilux in for it. He is thrilled with the amarok....the motor is proven in many of its vehicles.
BW.
FollowupID: 768955

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 21:43

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 21:43
Hi 4 runner

I cannot comment of the particular vehicle but can give you a couple of different scenarios.

To get what we wanted we purchased our caravan pre-loved in Queensland. We had the rego transferred to us at purchase (stamp duty did not apply on trailers) using the vendor's residential address and our WA postal address. On return to WA we had three months in which to get and inspection and WA rego set up.

Our son purchased a Nissan Patrol sight unseen from the eastern states and had it trucked over so rego for driving it over was not an issue. It then had to be registered in WA. He wanted it to put an different motor in it and make a dual cab for family, so was wanting the body. It turned out to be in very good order both physically and mechanically. This purchase was because of the price difference between WA and ES.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493367

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:48

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:48
Motherhen is spot on about the address. We tried a purchase from Vic and without a Vic address the dealer could not register the vehicle.
I have had a few clients purchase in SA....probably the same rules that apply, but you won't use quite as much fuel getting home.
BW.
FollowupID: 768956

Reply By: Cyberess - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 01:11

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 01:11
Just been through similar process -- Purchased a Mahindra Pik-up and had it delivered to Darwin from Brisbane -- The reason it was just so much cheaper to get the build up done interstate -- getting stuff done and made up in Darwin costs a fortune.

Factory -- as standard
Rear Diff Lock
Dual air con
Cruise control
Good sliders (under seal guards as standard)

Extra -- most as supplied as a Mahindra factory extra..
50mm Suspension Upgrade kit with fitting
Snorkle
Steel winch bar
Runva Comp Winch with plasma rope
Tow bar
Sump guard
Alloy canopy with wired up central locking
Reverse camera
Extra spare wheel and tire
Dual battery setup
Centre bearing guard
UHF radio setup
Dash matt
145 Litre Long Range Fuel tank (bring the total to about 225 Litres) about a range of 2500km
Extra Aux wiring

The whole project was about the $45000

I have done a write up about the ute on the Myswag forum
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=17679.0

When the vehicle was delivered some of the paper work went missing -- Did make it a challenge at the motor vehicle registry. (You will have to be prepare for that sort of thing).

I would not be keen to say purchase a vehicle and drive a brand new vehicle, as most new vehicles have some sort of teething issues to sort out.. There is also the insurance question as well.

Remember to factor in your extras when considering your purchase, I did price up with a Amarok as one stage and the project came out just under the $70000 mark, as the extras were way more expensive.. another factor the VW dealer in Darwin just didn't want to help with the extras at all.. Did email and ring some VW dealers interstate and they just didn't price up the build either.

Cheers
AnswerID: 493368

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 04:57

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 04:57
Mate,
try this mob.

Private fleet sales
AnswerID: 493372

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:11

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:11
make sure all the warranty upgrades are done just had the recall to change the clutch, 9th warranty in 5months Not good enough VW
AnswerID: 493418

Reply By: Kimba10 - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 23:19

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 23:19
Now this is second hand news I got last night. My mate runs a 4wd tagalong tour company. They just got back from a 11,000 round trip last week. One of the vehicles was the new VW Amorak, engine wise was fine, but the thing was falling apart. Rear tailgate, straps that hold the gate up, the ute body its self come loose. Short circuit in the lighting due to an earth strap and the biggest problem was that all these things had those star type screws in them (he did tell me the correct name) but were not phillips head so they had fun trying to tighten things up till they got to the next town and tighten everything. Nothing major as such but he said the owner would have to go an use locktite on every nut and bolt. While he said the corrugations in some of the trip were pretty severe but for a brand new vehicle it wasnt good, other then that the vehicle performed faultlessly but did have a few rattles internaly (seemed to be from the dash) but will be reviewed under warranty.............
AnswerID: 493554

Sponsored Links