Comment: Wandoo Woodlands

We did this trek on Saturday 18 August 2012. We came in from Great Eastern Highway along Flynn Road. Suggest following the plot until just before the gate into Great Sands sand supply. You need to take a left just before the gate to get on the right track (Goods Road). From Longitude: 116.425608 Latitude: -31.908887 the track is impassable. We tried for a few hundred metres but the saplings in the middle of the tracks have now become trees and the track has all but disappeared. At Longitude: 116.425608 Latitude: -31.908887 turn right along Bunyip Road and you will come across some nice steep climbs and descents. You will need a bit of clearance for some. This section rejoins the plot at Longitude: 116.457778 Latitude: -31.933193 (Yarra Road). From here on it's fairly straight-forward. I will try to load the plot I took into User Treks as Wandoo Woodlands 2012.
Enjoy!
Peter Beard
Support Atheism: A not-for-prophet organisation

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sludgie W.A - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:35

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:35
Hello Peter, the whole woodlands area has some great driving and as you noticed some of the tracks are very overgrown now. In saying that I think half of the enjoyment is trying to find the tracks and make your way through them, especially if you can find an old wood cutters camp where there litter or rubbish is now part of the history of the area.

Sludgie
AnswerID: 493354

Follow Up By: Member - Peter B (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:34

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:34
Hi Sludgie, we did give it a good go. I've uploaded a video to YouTube of the "track" up to the point we found a bit of a clearing and turned around. The track just disappeared altogether into thick bush. We were heading down hill to a watercourse and the bush was getting thicker and thicker. As you will see from the video we weren't too worried about scratching our cars. A chain saw would have been handy, a D9 would have been better. Ironically, you can see the track on Google Earth but you can't see it from the ground! The video's at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgV469B37fg.
Peter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 768973

Follow Up By: Sludgie W.A - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:25

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:25
Just watched your video Peter and yep that's what a lot of the tracks are like. I did think you a bit woosy to give up when you did but thats life:)
One thing I noticed was that although she had a great laugh/giggle your navigator/camera person gave plenty of advice but I didn't notice her shifting trees etc. The second law of 4wdriving states that the passenger is obliged to change flat tyres,cross rivers to check the depth, shift or cut trees out of the way,dig out from a bogging and get the first beer at the end of the day. I am sure you enjoyed the trip.

Sludgie.
FollowupID: 769020

Follow Up By: Member - Peter B (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:58

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:58
I'll pass that on. One thing; she always gets the first beer at the end of the day, generaly she drinks it herself!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769024

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 04:43

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 04:43
funny you mention that. i always say such a mess now is considered diabolical bogan trash

- i ask you the same question i aleays ask. when does it stop becoming bogan looser trash and become a fascinating site to visit?
FollowupID: 769029

Sponsored Links