vehicle security

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 13:51
ThreadID: 97557 Views:2627 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Not sure if everyone gives much thought to what would happen if someone were to think that our car, should become their car and steal it. Below is a link to a product I came across that others might give a bit more thought to. It's cheap and looks like a good product.

http://carboncarsystems.com.au/mongoose-vt404-gps-vehicle-tracker-w-phone-mapping-p-104.html

Just to ad, I have no connection to this business at all, just thought others might be able to use the info.
Cheers
Penchy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 14:11

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 14:11
Hi Penchy,

I used to have an alarm system with multi point dissabling in my previous 2 cruisers.

They dissabled the vehicle in two or three seperate locations on the vehicle. It worked on the principal that if they cannot get it going quickly they move on to someone elses vehicle or just give up on the idea.

Better to not let them get it rather than tracking it all over the counrtyside I suppose.

As I recall it was not very expensive either including fitting by my local auto electrician. About $450 all up as I recall. It also provided keyless entry on my 80 series cruisers.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493333

Follow Up By: Penchy - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 14:29

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 14:29
Thanks for that Bruce. I have done some more looking on that website and there are other variations of that listed to suit peoples needs and budgets. I'd still like to be able to track it to tell the police which address it is parked at.
FollowupID: 768916

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 17:51

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 17:51
Hi Penchy,

It looks like a smart gadget but be aware that it "Requires a SIM card" therefore there will be ongoing costs of subscribing to a phone connection.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493347

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:19

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:19
and another point is these mongrals often steal cars in "low life" areas and they also have bad signals and they will probally take it to an area with NO coverage and strip it or burn it ............
I did look at them but here where i live it would be good for a few mins and out of range......
My choice is as always ...... NOISE ... it scares the crapper out of them and alerts everyone else around so they quickly move on and away, also make it go off instantly then less damage is done to the vehicle ......
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 768934

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:53

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:53
And Joe, the Vehicle Tracking device does not protect against having your windows smashed whilst parked and all your goodies stolen.

Your choice of NOISE and lots of it, has some chance of causing them to abandon the act and vamoose. You may have a broken window but you still have your camera. The only proviso is to hide your goodies so that they are not quickly located, maybe even have a secured and locked strongbox.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 768940

Reply By: Nutta - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 21:38

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 21:38
Most are against it it seems, but when scum drag away your gtho phase 3 falcon on a tow truck at 3 in the morning it would prolly come in handy.

I dont think disabling the vehicle would help at all in the above case.

And Id say most scumbags burn out cars in mobile serviced areas, anyway.
AnswerID: 493366

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:30

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:30
No, not against it Nutta. In your example probably very helpful.

I was considering only my case with the troopy parked & locked while I hike up a gorge and a low-life breaks a window to loot it.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 768952

Follow Up By: Nutta - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 06:52

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 06:52
Cheers Allan B, I'm just having a whinge moment so ignore : )
FollowupID: 768959

Follow Up By: Penchy - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:50

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:50
My Phase 3 isnt parked on the street, its next to my Bugatti Veyron in the garage.

Good point about smashing the window, something to consider.
FollowupID: 768968

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:04

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:04
Yep, had it happen in a motel courtyard a few years back. The one night I forgot to remove the navigator.
Next morning... one smashed window... one missing navigator.
No alarm... it was a hire car.
Insurance? Not worth the claim considering the excess.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 768969

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:16

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:16
Something else to consider.

A workmate had his locked car stolen overnight from his carport. No broken glass. Not a sound heard.
Police asked where and when was his last vehicle service..... "About a month previously".
In due course he got his car back. The culprit was an employee of the servicing workshop. At lunchtime he took the car key and had a new one cut. The customer's address was on the workshop job card. Presto.....!

Also not wise to leave your house key on the ring while having the car serviced for the same reason.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 768971

Follow Up By: Member - allan t (NT) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 13:33

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 13:33
Hi A phase 3ho should be chained down with hi tensile chain ikept my gt chained down and took the rotor out when parked in the street

Allan
FollowupID: 768976

Sponsored Links