AM and FM Station Tuning

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 21:22
ThreadID: 97565 Views:1699 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
This is in the way of settling an argument with the Princess and maybe gaining some information.
SWMBO is adamant that when you do a strong signal search - the six strongest stations are displayed - the next strongest are set on FM2 and FM3 (the same for the AM bands).

My take is that is you can set stations on each band depending upon where you are travelling regularly, to make it easy to find the stations. eg travelling north to Port Macquarie = FM1 and then south to Goulburn = FM2 and Bathurst =FM3. Ditto for AM.

Who is correct, Forumites?

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul K - VIC - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 21:35

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 21:35
Bill

I think you are both right

If you do an auto search it will store the strongest stations in frequency (lowest to highest) order.

If you do a manual search you can store the stations any where in any order you like.

regards Paul
AnswerID: 493365

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 21:48

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 21:48
Hi,
I didn't think the strongest signals went across the other bands. I get the six strongest automatically like on most radios, but across the three FM bands?

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 768948

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:28

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:28
If you do the scan and save thing on FM1 what you'll get is the first six stations from the point at which your search started. If there are 7 strong stations, the last one will miss out, likewise, if there are only 5 strong stations, that's all you'll get.......

THEN...if you flick over to FM2 or FM3, you'll again get the six strongest stations, NOT the next strongest. In other words, if you're in an area where there are only six strong stations, FM2 will end up as an exact replica of FM1, all be it, maybe in a different order depending on which station your radio was set at when you hit the scan button to start the search.

The only way to get weaker stations (what you refer to as the next strongest) is to manually tune them in or wait until the signal strength improves.

Now despite this... your missus is right. Why? Because she just is...no other reason. *wink*

Fab.
FollowupID: 768980

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 06:32

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 06:32
Gday Bill
I wouldn't argue with her as your life could become hell.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493373

Reply By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 09:19

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 09:19
Don't ever argue with a woman, they're always right, if you have been married long enough you should learnt that by now..

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493379

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:58

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:58
The ones I have used just pick the first half dozen strong channels. Refer to your radios handbook to find out which style radio you have, 6 strongest of first 6.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493403

Sponsored Links