Camp cooking - Stefano di Pieri

Just as a change to snorkels, inverters, etc, I saw Stefano di Pieri do "spaghetti for the road" on TV tonight. Instead of using masses of water to boil the spaghetti he stewed some tomatoes and garlic in olive oil until soft, then added the spaghetti and just a little water. Couldn't believe I was seeing an Italian (and a chef) do that. But apparently it's good. Add some parmigiano (and basil if you have it). Saves a lot of water if it's scarce where you are. Could probably use canned tomatoes as well.
Louise
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 02:34

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 02:34
What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

If you like pasta why not use gnocchi? They need little water to cook and are quick to cook as well.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493371

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:15

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:15
we often make Bolognese sauce at home (and other similar) then chuck them in containers in the fridge. When we're ready for them, we just heat them up and add the pasta in the same pan. Usually need to add a bit of water but not much. Same principle.
AnswerID: 493376

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:00

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:00
We do the same but instead of putting them in containers we put the sauces in the double zip lock plastic bag and freeze them. flatter in the fridge, less space used in the freezer compartment.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 768992

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:30

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:30
that's what we'll be doing when we've got rid of our two protein/mysavings consuming teenage boys. As it is, we need shipping containers and a lot of overtime to keep them in food. I long for the day when we can pack manageable portions into human sized packs. We actually find the rectangular takeaway thingies ideal for now but will be following your lead when the day dawns. Talk about wishing your life away. We'll miss them really. Maybe.
FollowupID: 769005

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:35

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 19:35
the Fuhrer keeps "wondering" what takes up more space; my beer or their food. Haven't got back to her yet.

;-))
FollowupID: 769006

Sponsored Links