How to transfer new Qld caravan to S.A.

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 14:52
ThreadID: 97579 Views:2969 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Need help! We are buying a new caravan built and registered for 12 months in Qld. We live in S.A. and plan to travel back here spending 3 weeks doing so. I rang S.A. dept. Transport and they tell me not to register it in Qld and I have to have it back here within 2 weeks to have it inspected at Regency. Has anyone worked out a way to get around this? It comes with 12 months free Qld. rego!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:23

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:23
Not sure of the answer to your predicament....
How can it be registered,in Qld, in your name, unless to a Qld address..?
AnswerID: 493397

Follow Up By: Member - Vicky & Geoff - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 18:19

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 18:19
Thanks for your reply.
Apparently we can register the van in our names in Qld as long as we have a registration address there. The company who are making the van have given us all the paper work to do it that way. I didn't really want to burden our friends who live in Qld with this problem. But think we may have to take them up on that idea by the sounds of it and transfer the registration to S.A. once the renewal comes up. Regards, Geoff.
FollowupID: 768986

Reply By: dindy - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:32

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 16:32
I have not been down that track before with respect to the S.A. rego system. However I do know that all states have reciprocal arrangements in place regarding the transfer of rego for all vehicles. I don't know why someone from S.A. transport
would tell you not to register it in QLand and get it to S.A. asap for a rego check.
What happens if you need to be away from S.A. for more than the three weeks you intend to be. I suspect that the S.A. transport person was thinking in terms of a temporary rego permit which usually allows you two weeks to move an unregistered vehicle from one point to another. If it was me I would take the free 12 mths rego in Qland, take my time getting home, then take it to the S.A. transport place nominated and tell them that you bought the van in Qland and now wan't to transfer the rego to S.A. rego. That should not be a problem unless there are some standards that the van must comply with in S.A. and need to be brought up to spec, you would need to do that in any case. Also there may be some financial differential you may need to meet. I would quiz the mob you are buying the van from I bet they know and get back to S.A. transport and findout what the exact situation is if you rego the van in Qland then want to transfer the rego when you return to S.A. When you contact S.A. transport have a list of questions ready to ask them so you don't forget when you are in the midst of a conversation with a person who will probably only tell you the minimum amount of information so the they can move onto the next person in the queue. Whew! Does that help yo a bit?
AnswerID: 493400

Follow Up By: bazz - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 17:06

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 17:06
hi, I brought my van 2nd hand in Victoria then towed it to Adelaide where I registered it in my name, (10 mths ago) , they dont do an over the pits inspection , or test lites etc ,just check the details on the compliance plate/info/ details and make sure it matches the sellers /buyers details on the paper work , you need to book into the Lonsdale facility as it only opens a few days a week , cheers Barry
FollowupID: 768981

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 18:04

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 18:04
In nsw you only have a few weeks to change over regardless of how much rego is on it. You pay for a brand new twelve months on transfer. Cheaper for us to get those interstate to cash in their rego, and maybe get a discount on sale price.
FollowupID: 768985

Follow Up By: Member - Vicky & Geoff - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 18:28

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 18:28
Hi, thanks for your replies. Seems strange that we live in one country but have different rules in regards to registration of vehicles. When I spoke to Dept of Motor here in S.A., they said that we had to come directly back to S.A. with the van - do not pass go!!!! We have bought an off road van and want to test it's off road worthyness before we leave Qld so any problems can be fixed before coming home, hense the three week holiday.!
Regards, Geoff.
FollowupID: 768987

Reply By: Outnabout.. - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:57

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:57
Ok here is your answer. I purchased a car in Queensland and to get it into my name I had to prove by way of a document that I had a Queensland address.
What was acceptable was a credit card receipt and invoice from the motel where I stayed the night before and a story to the very helpful rego person on how we didn't have a permanent address in Queensland as yet and that we had bought a car up there and were going to drive until we found an area we liked and then we planned to move up there. We were then able to have a postal address in Adelaide to have the papers/disc sent to.

Did the same thing with a NSW rego'd camper a few months ago with the caravan park receipt.

Now the thing is if you can get it into your name in Queensland then when you get back to Adelaide you don't need to take it to regency park. They will just transfer it over if you give them the papers and the plates which is a lot cheaper

Now there is a downside. If it is in Queensland rego there is no third party cover if towed with an interstate rego'd vehicle as in Qld the trailer TP insurance goes with the car TP.

I agree there should be a national system and now we have moved up to Qld it has cost heaps to change over the car which ended up SA rego and the camper NSW rego not to mention the/gas compliance certificate.
AnswerID: 493444

Sponsored Links