Far North NT

I am researching visiting northern NT next year and would welcome people's views - in terms of number of days recommended stay - of the following areas -
Tennant Creek
Wauchope
Daly Waters
Cape Crawford
Barkly Homestead

Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 23:31

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 23:31
Hi

May pay to provide a time frame.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493430

Follow Up By: garytee - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:06

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:06
Hi Greg. Good point. I will be leaving from Melbourne and spending 6 weeks on the road. After NT region we are moving onto Mt Isa, Longreach and Charleville but we have been to those two centres before.
FollowupID: 769041

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 00:16

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 00:16
Hi Garytee

It depends on what you like. At Tennant Creek after spending our one night there, we spent much of the day at the Battery Hill Mining Centre - this is the Visitor Centre which has extensive mining displays.

You can check our travelogues from My Blogs covering the region for what we saw in the area you are asking about.

If you don't need power, stay at the NT Parks campground at the rear of the Devil's Marbles rather than Wauchope Roadhouse.

Daly Waters has the historic airfield, but the Pub scene and crowds did not suit us so we moved on. Others love the place. We prefer to bush camp on our own.

Cape Crawford was an overnight stop i would not choose again.

We stayed in a quiet spot along the Tablelands Highway before reaching Barkly HS Roadhouse where we did not stop (apart from parking in the vicinity to send text messages while briefly in coverage area).

I hope this helps - further questions welcomed.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 493433

Follow Up By: Honky - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:01

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:01
Motherhen,

You mentionede that you would not stop at Cape Crawford again.
As I am up that way in two weeks can you expand?

Thanks

Honky
FollowupID: 769039

Follow Up By: garytee - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:18

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:18
Hi Motherhen. Thank you for your detailed reply. Don't really like crowds but heard the Daly Waters pub is at least worth seeing.
Even though you didn't like Cape Crawford - is the drive there worth it or not really necessary?
Did you avoid the Barkly Homestead deliberately?

Gary
FollowupID: 769042

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:23

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:23
Thats why they call it heartbreak Hotel. Nothing their and run a generator all night. Would be better off going to Borroloola or Lorella Springs instead.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769043

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 13:02

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 13:02
As Andy says - nothing there. You can take chopper flights over the Abner Ranges and yet another 'lost city'. I may have mentioned these in My Blog.

Noisy generator all night, trucks stopping close by, crowded disorganised camping area, amenities all needed a good dose of tlc. It was a hot afternoon so we opted for power and we ran the air con for a while - until the power outlet we were using with a long cord due to the informal camping and crowd died on us. I told them at the office but the person on duty could not help with electricity but said there were more outlets than campers present. None were near us and it appeared that all were in use, so he offered to give us money back to unpowered price (which was a big difference) but i declined as we had used power for a while. They offer campers a 'discount' on the evening meal and lots of them went - but even at the discount it was beyond what we would normally pay. Fuel was very expensive - much better price at Borroloola.

We purchased fuel at Borroloola - better price at the second fuel outlet - but the town did not appeal for us to stay at either. We had intended to stay at the Caranbirini Conservation Park but when we got there it had been changed to no camping. We enjoyed the walks and found the sandstone formations more colourful that many of the lost city type formations we had visited.

We prefer to camp quietly on our own and had no reason the stop at Barkly RH. We have good fuel capacity.

From my Travelogue: "Daly Waters Hotel claims to hold the Northern Territory’s longest licence, being licensed since 1938. The building itself is not the original. This quaint and popular Pub offers camping behind the Hotel and a feed of barbecued Barra and Beef, followed by entertainment. There used to be cheap camping and meals, but prices had risen with the times. When we arrived, the paddock behind the Hotel was overcrowded with campers and the very basic camping at no longer what I consider low cost. With the meal now $27.50 it did not entice us in to brave the crowds swelling towards the Pub. "

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769051

Follow Up By: garytee - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 13:27

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 13:27
What time of the year were you there?
FollowupID: 769056

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 13:35

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 13:35
We were travelling in 2009 and left Alice Springs early July reaching Darwin early August and with further touring Cape Crawford through to Camooweal in Qld late August.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769057

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 21:34

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 21:34
Sorry to hijack thread but I'll be at Lorella Springs in about 3 weeks Andy are you able to tell me if there will be fuel available there?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 769089

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 08:07

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 08:07
Hi Beatit

I wouldn't like to put my life on it but I can say with a fair bit of certainty that there is no fuel for sale at Lorella. Nice place to stop, Rosie creek is excellent if you have a tinnie and like EXTREME four wheel driving.

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769102

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:27

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:27
Hi Beatit, I just rang Rhett and he said there will be fuel for sale when you get their. Hope you enjoy your stay. I should be back there in 4 weeks time.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769105

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 20:25

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 20:25
Thanks guys, and sorry for the hijack! Anday, we may be there to see your return who knows.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 769137

Sponsored Links