Gaps in your personal travel map

Gday,

Like a lot of people I keep a record of places I have driven, and draw them on a map, so I can look at it and try and work out where I have to visit next.

I started my map when I was about 15 years old. Back then I drew on a paper map all the places I have driven on (as a passenger then) since birth by way of lines on the map. I'm on my third paper map now. I still keep the map updated, even though since 2006 I have had a master plotfile of my GPS tracks viewable on my Google Earth index.

Looking at the map, which is predominantly travels in WA, though covers all states except Tasmania, there are some frustratingly noticeable gaps where lines terminate near other lines and gives the impression that the map is somewhat incomplete - Which it is!!!!!

I have three gaps which I am determined to complete before I die (because one should not die with an map with gaps)

These are:
1. From Billiluna to about 30 kilometres east of the WA border on the Tanami Track (In 1993, I drove from Alice up the Tanami to near the border and back and have passed Billiluna in 2003 and 2010)

2. From Yeo Lakes on the Anne Beadell Highway to Neale Junction (In 1995 I drove to the lakes on a day trip from Laverton, and have passed Neale Junction in 1997 and 2006)

3. From Kiwirrkurra to Mount Webb on the Gary Junction Road (In 2008 I went north from Kiwirrkurra from the Gary Junction Road and in 2005 I drove from Kings Canyon to Mount Webb and back over a weekend)

Anyone else have frustrating gaps in their map? Or is it not an issue?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 23:59

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 23:59
It is not the little gaps on my map that worry me Alan - it is all the big ones :(

I can fill on your gaps for you on 1 and 3 :)

Looks like you have a few trips in the planning to cover these three short spans.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493432

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 00:23

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 00:23
Yes, the big gaps are a worry as well for sure Motherhen, perhaps more easily achieved than the small ones.

I could modify an old cliche', "take care of the big gaps and the small gaps will take care of themselves". Or maybe that should be the other way around!!!!

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769026

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 05:58

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 05:58
Hi Alan,

You'll get there - in the mean time there are so many other places to see, climb and investigate.

Anyway don't rush it, you've got to leave something to do when you retire (and may that be soon so we can travel more of this amazing country together).

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493434

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:47

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:47
Hi Phil,

I can't rush it unfortunately, only so many chunks of time I can allocate each year.

So there will be plenty left when I retire I am sure - which may be a bit of time away yet, I'll have to see how things go.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769046

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 09:31

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 09:31
Hi Alan

I am afraid that those gaps on maps will never be complete.

We are literally just back from another wander through the Great Victoria Desert and sections of the Anne Beadell Highway. I was able to add 7 mores lines to my map and to be honest, 2 sections I thought would never happen, as I have applied in the past 3 times for permits, and to be always declined.

It has only been 2 years since we were last out on the Anne Beadell Highway, and since then there are a number of very good track leading away from the Anne Beadell and in fare better condition. I now have it from very good authority that a number of these roads will be left open and kept in first class condition for use with Aboriginal Communities ( even though the nearest Communities are hundreds of kilometres away)

I am out that way again next year for a month, so guess who will be travelling some of these new tracks and adding more tracks to my maps.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 493442

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 15:53

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 15:53
Hi Stephen, welcome back.

7 new lines is a great effort for sure, and I agree filling them all maybe pie in the sky stuff (no harm in trying)

I've noticed too that it is worth reapplying for permits when previously access has been denied.

That's a nice looking new track you have pictured. I have two minds about such tracks. One one hand it's great as they allow easier access to features that would be hard to get to normally, on the other hand they will encourage much more traffic and the assoiciated negative aspects ie. litter, hooliganism, etc..

Look forward to your trip report :-)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769065

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:57

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:57
Lots of gaps here to Alan , like you I have paper maps going back decades with notes scrawlled on them.

However when reviewing our map I note that we have massive gaps in the good tourist roads but we are much more complete in the dirt roads.

Oh well soon enough we will have to catch a bus and use this to fill in the bitumen gaps that way !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493447

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 17:57

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 17:57
Hi Robin,

I'm similar, though I have a good blend of touristy roads and dirt, as I often travel long distances on the touristy roads just to get to the good dirt roads.

A bus? I have been across the Nullabor a few times on a bus, though not for 20 years or so!!!
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769073

Reply By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 14:08

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 14:08
hi all
yes i have many gaps on my collection of maps ive kept and have hi -lited them with different colours and have many notes written amonst the pages of map books
tallies of distances and fuel consumption etc etc
man i bin a lot of places but i aint bin everywhere yet!
but keep hoping that i'm gunna do
the wheels have ta keepa turnin
cheers
AnswerID: 493450

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 14:48

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 14:48
sorry ment to say i have hi-lited where i have been --not the gaps
FollowupID: 769063

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 18:59

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 18:59
Hi Mazcan,

That's it, keep the wheels turnin...

I used to religiously keep details of distances and fuel consumption, don't really do so much nowadays.

I'm going on a "blowing with the wind trip" in November. I can't say I'm planning it too much, then it wouldn't be blowing with the wind. Should fill in a few big gaps, and create a few more frustrating small ones!!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769075

Sponsored Links