Fraser Island - Inland Tracks Advice sought

Am heading up to Fraser Island soon and looking for some advice on some inland tracks. Will be staying at Kingfisher Bay and I see that there is a track inland where you can get to Lake Garawongera and Boomerang Lakes. Has anyone been on these tracks from Kingfisher Bay? What were they like? Is the track difficult to find? Key reason is that the tides are high in the morning so can't head up the beach until afternoon. Hence want to go inland and back via beach in afternoon.
Thanks
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 16:51

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 16:51
I was at Fraser last week end, the tracks are not hard to find and sign posted, but the one out of kingfisher is chopped up and rough because of the traffic they carry, most other tracks are ok but will take some time to travel, however,I didn't personally travel the tracks you are seeking.
2 hours after high tide is generally good enough tho travel the beach.

Shane
AnswerID: 493457

Reply By: chisel - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 17:14

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 17:14
Garawongera was a difficult track last year - not sure what state it is in now. When I say "difficult" I really just mean no place for a softroader. Any sensible, larger 4wd would be fine with appropriate care.
AnswerID: 493460

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 17:49

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 17:49
Fraser Island Track Conditions

If you go the website, it will tell you about the tracks. The main issue you will have will be ground clearance, as the tracks can become very deep, and with low clearance soft-roaders, you end up dragging your belly along the sand until it stops. Then out come the shovels.

Also tyre pressures are important, so you would need to be aware of that.

It's a terrific place. Enjoy it. At least at Kingfisher Bay will will most likely avoid the scourge of Fraser, namely the backpackers.

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493464

Reply By: braggy - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 17:49

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 17:49
It hasn't rained for for over 30+ days now up here ,
so all sand tracks will be getting soft, let your tyres down before ya start,
You will be fine plenty around to pull you out ... have fun

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 493465

Follow Up By: Member - Steve R (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 20:20

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 20:20
Thanks all for your replies. I'm driving a 100 Series landcruiser with 2inch lift so no problems with power or clearance. I've driven on Fraser a number of times before so understand what the sand can be like when there has been no rain, however, your reminder is ever helpful and appreciated.
Regards
Steve
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769085

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 20:27

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 20:27
Stay in front of a tour bus. :-)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 493482