Tyres ask a few questions?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 976 Views:1960 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I see there is a lot of interest in tyres at present, which is great and it must be the outback traveling season.
I see most people are preferring BFG of one dissribtion or another.
But no one has memtioned Cooper tyres.
I have found when they get down ( i mean down to 30% only) a bit they hang on in the wet and have an 80,000 km warrantry.
Lets continue this discussion further.
The average person travels outback on say one trip a year and does an odd weekend, but usually drives around town 90% of the time.
You want a good dual purpose tyre that gives a good ride and is sake in all conditions and wont get many puntures while away.
Hopefully we`ll get a few comments from the industry.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fraser Coast Adventures - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
here's my two bits worth

I have an 88 diesel troopy, it spends probably 80/20% of time on/off road but closer to 50/50% distance on/off road.

We started with 31x10.5r15 on 15x7's Dunlop adventurers and these did not please, until they started to get a bit baldy and were great on sand.

They were discarded as i took up an offer to good to refuse on Goodyear wrangler aquatreads, THESE WERE SERIOUSLY GOOD ON ROAD, but that was all.

Next came a set of Dueler ATs , which proved a nice compomise.

I was then talked into beefing up a little to Dueler MT 33x12.5r15. I was expecting the noise to be terrible but there was no discernable difference. These tyres are the BEST sand tyres i have ever used, and when you let air out, there's plenty of it.

Corners on wet roads on the other hand are a whole new issue.

that's my 2 (3or4) bits worth.

Dave
AnswerID: 2898

Reply By: donalddasher - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
the tyres that you decide to run with will depend on the use that the vehicle will be put to.i have a series 75 ute with dunlop 8 ply lt road grippers which is used off road and these tyres suit my requirements.
if i'm going to drive on the road i do so in my my car. Generally good offroad tyres imo will not drive very well on the road and visa vera good on road tyres will handle off road conditions poorly.
a dual purpose tyre again imo will do neither very well and are but a compromse.

cheers donalddasher
AnswerID: 2903

Reply By: Rod - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
Dear Fish N Track, re Coopers Tyres and the 80ks warranty, in the fine print doesn't a puncture, cut, nick or any other damage void the warranty??
AnswerID: 2910

Reply By: paul - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00
the warrantry on the coopers is only worth anything if you live in the big city so when it comes down to good after sales i will stick to bfg
AnswerID: 4206

Sponsored Links