Giles Met Station tours to cease and some road updates

Apologies if this has already been covered. Last Saturday we joined a few othes to watch the weather balloon launch at the Giles met Station. The launch is included in a tour of the station and an explanation of the work done there - very informative and interesting. But we were also told by Craig our guide that ours would be the 7th last tour as his maintainance position has been made redundant. So in a couple more days these tours will be a thing of the past, a great shame.

From Giles we travelled the GCR as far as Warburton, then travelled down the Connie Sue Highway and into Laverton via the Anne Beadell Highway. Very little traffic in either direction. The Connie Sue is currently very rough and corrugated.

But a surprise was in store at Neale Junction as two Council graders have been working out of there for some time. The ABH west from Neale Junction is graded and in excellent condition with just the occasional loose sandy patch to watch out for. ABH has also been graded east from Neale junction but not sure how far. The Connie Sue has been graded south from Neale Junction to the shire boundary and in a couple of weeks the graders will start work on the northern section of the Connie Sue.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 23:38

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 23:38
Thanks! It's a great thing to watch the balloon go up isn't it! Feel welcome to pop Travellers Comments into Road Conditions pages too (you have already, I didn't check before I wrote that) ;)

MM
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 493494

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 00:22

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 00:22
Hello John and Val

I reckon there will be a few travellers happy to hear of some grading on the Connie Sue and Anne Beadell. I was out there last year and the Anne Beadell west of Neale Junction was a bit of a test of the teeth and the top end of the Connie Sue was badly washed out. But it is great country ... just reading your post got me thinking ...

Cheers

Rocco
AnswerID: 493495

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 03:42

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 03:42
Val
Thats a shame, its a great place to visit
The people there were brilliant.

I only hope that they leave the place oopen for tourists

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 493496

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 09:49

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 09:49
Hi John and Val

Sounds like you are having a great time in fantastic country. That is a real shame about the weather station tour, as it was always great to visit and it was also very informative.

Have a great time away.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493509

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 18:32

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 18:32
Hi J and V, your post is timely for us as we head to the ABH in Sept. I would suspect that graders on the WA side will stop at the SA border so being an Easterner as far as you Sandgropers go I will have a zillion corrugations going W from Coober Pedy. LOL.

Back in 2005 the BoM guy at Cobar told us that Giles had the most visitors of all their balloon release weather stations. Looks like I'll miss out this time. And after reading Steven L's post the flowers may have passed their peak by the time we get there. But it's going to be fabulous anyway.....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 493530

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 22:41

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 22:41
Gday Warrie,
The graders usually stop at the Ilkurlka Roadhouse or soon after.
The best wildflowers we've seen out there have been in Sept/October, so I'm sure you'll see plenty.

Its been a very quiet year for outback travellers, so you're unlikely to see more than a couple of groups when you travel the ABH.
FollowupID: 769141

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 19:11

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 19:11
Update to Val's report:

Media release from Bureau of Meteorology:

The tours at the Giles Station have been well supported over past years and visitors to the station have gained a greater understanding of our operations. We are in the process of restructuring our operations at the station and this means that staff will not easily be able to supervise people coming to see the weather balloon release and tour the observation enclosure.

Tours will continue as normal until 25 October. At that time staff from Adelaide will be visiting the station to review whether tours can continue in a safe manner. If we can arrange for these tours to continue safely, while also satisfying our operational demands, then we would be pleased to continue.

However, at this stage I cannot guarantee that tours will continue beyond 25 October.

Paul Lainio
Senior Meteorologist, Media and Community Relations

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 494320

Sponsored Links