Storage Box for caravan

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 14:55
ThreadID: 97651 Views:7355 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, I am looking at fixing one of those metal boxes to the front of the chasis on our Jayco Van for storage of bits and pieces. Had a look at some sold buy Bunnings. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with them. They are riveted and a bit flimsy,but probably would do the job, for a while. Just wondering whether the rivets loosen in time.. thanks johno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 15:21

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 15:21
johno
the fact that you are worried about them looking flimsy should already tell you the answer. Dont want to lose all them bits while you drive along, its gunna cop all the stones etc from the road aswell, best spend the money on 1 you feel comfortable with then you never have it in the back of your mind as you enjoy your holiday.
AnswerID: 493591

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 19:37

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 19:37
Hi Johno, try and get one that has also been welded along the seams so you don't get too much water inside.
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493602

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 21:25

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 21:25
Hi Johno59,
I have two 'ute' boxes on my Windsor Rapid. Bought off eBay for $200 made of aluminium with locks.
Will try to load pics.

Image Could Not Be Found

Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493607

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 21:28

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 21:28
Lets see if I can add more than one at a time!

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769198

Reply By: P & G - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 08:40

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 08:40
Johno,

I looked at doing the same when we left Melbourne now over a year ago and decided that I would wait and see, my questios were:-
1) what was I going to store in them
2) how might they upset the caravan balance
3) if I needed that much extra storage was I maybe just carrying too much
4) Jayco had advised me when I bought the van that additions to the towbar invalidated any warrenty

Now over a year later I have subsequently gotten rid of a number of what I thought were vital items before we left and have plenty of room in the front locker and other little storage areas in the van to store all without the extra lockers.

Cheers

Peter
AnswerID: 493623

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 09:54

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 09:54
Has the trailer Drawbar (A Frame) been engineered to carry the additional weight of a bax and its content and still comply to ADR 62/01 ?
I know plenty of travellers add box's etc to drawbars, but are they safe, and are they legal?
Ozjohn.
AnswerID: 493702

Reply By: BIGFOOTDAD - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 11:17

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 11:17
Hello johno59,
I have viewed these forums for many years and finally thought I would post.
I get annoyed with everyone posting who have no experience in what you ask.
I have built 2 caravans,one 10 foot off road pop top and a giant 26 foot full height and a slide on camper from scratch,registered and insured them.

I have this tool box on my small off road caravan.$99.00 from Bunnings.

They are ok but you an do better.
I bought it because we were going away the next morning and the kids wanted to carry all their crap.Sometimes life is not perfect.

Things to note-I siliconed the rivets and put a rubber seal on the lip to make it water tight.

It works ok but at high speed and off road dust did get in.
To avoid it sagging I had some 7mm plywood off cuts put under the base.

It will do and yes it is not overly strong.
If you have a MASTERS hardware nearby they have a black 2-3 mm steel toolbox of that size that is welded and very sturdy for $99.00 If only I had seen it before.

Regarding weights make sure you do not exceed the recommended ball weight of your van.Balance does not matter as the weight is front of the axle.

If a Jayco cant take 20-30kg on the drawbar then it would be junk!!
The toolbox is an accessory and should not invalidate your warranty.

Screwing into your drawbar will!Use polyurethane adhesive about $15 a tube.
I joined many of my components using polyurethane adhesive as it provides a stronger joint than screws and is removable!

If on a budget it will do just note for the same price you can get something more sturdy.It works for me and as a bonus keeps the ball weight down!!
Good Luck!!
AnswerID: 494064

Reply By: johno59 - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 18:28

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 18:28
Bigfoot, Thanks, I think I will go with the $129 metal and powder coated box I got from a Disposal Outlet . Its nothing fantastic, but not expensive either.But by the time I reinforce with some Aluminium angle and put some Plywood in the base, should do the job for a while johno
AnswerID: 494082

Sponsored Links