Dalwallinu - Albany Which route?

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 00:43
ThreadID: 97658 Views:2182 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I will be making my way to Albany in the next couple of weeks, and just wondered which way is the best. Coming down the Great Northern Highway, i am wondering how much time i will save by turning off after Dalwallinu and going down through Northam, Wagin etc?

I usually just go into Perth and then down the Albany highway, but i dont need to go into Perth this time, plus i hate the strecth from Dalwallinu into Perth, all the hills and traffic is a real pain.

I wanna know if the Northam route is any different? Is it windy and hilly also?

Because i will be travelling from Meekatharra, its a big day so wanna take the easiest route possible. I know the Northam route is shorter, but that doesnt always equate to a better route.

Plus is scenery any good down that way?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:10

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:10
Hi, I find any chance to get off the main route heaps better. Not sure what the exact route would be like but the scenery going the country way will be lovely. The canola crops are starting to flower and the wild flowers should be starting by then too!
Sue
AnswerID: 493633

Reply By: Geoff P - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:26

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:26
We live in Geraldton and quite oftern go that way a though Northam, Beverley,Narrogin,Katanning and then on to Albany.The road is quiet and good at this time of year.
AnswerID: 493636

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:29

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:29
Absolute no brainer! Why would you put yourself through all the aggro of Perth drivers (the most inconsiderate, impatient & uncooperative on Earth) when you can have a lovely leisurely drive through the verdant green wheat fields and yellow canola paddocks and wonderful country towns like Wongan Hills, Northam, York, Brookton, Pingelly, Wagin, Katanning, etc.

If you want to drive straight thru you could do it in 7 1/2 hours, but why would you, when you can stop off here & there and have a look and a yack.
AnswerID: 493637

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:35

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:35
actually after moving to perth 6 years ago I find the drivers nothing like that despite people saying do.

bit of a qualafier i live in the eastern suburbs and the traffick is nothing like the mega lightfilled "trendy" western suburbs with its freeways that double as parking lots

to come through perth he would travel down the GNH through the swan valley and straight onto roe highway which he would take through to kalamunda road and through the bickley valley and pickering brook along canning road to brookton highway then through to brookton

i could give you over a days worth of things to see just along that stretc Honey places, choclate factories, wineries, waterfalls old heratage railway tracks, local stonefruit produce, cider houses, historic wells etch alone and its a total of 3 lights from memory with no insane traffick

not saying id go that way but just correcting the erronous opinion that just because its perth it has to be bad
FollowupID: 769241

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 00:17

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 00:17
Yep, the canola is coming into flower.... bloody pretty. The route Paul describes is a nice drive on good roads.
FollowupID: 769291

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:57

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:57
Hi Muntoo

I have made the same trip recently several times and ended up turning off after Dalwallinu and going through Wongan Hills.

Main reason is the 8m wide loads coming out of Perth - it is a lot harder to get off the road south of Dally and they go a lot slower. Don't try it on a saturday as that is there favourite day for 8m wide haul pack loads.

It is a nicer, flatter and easier on the eyes stretch going the Wongan Hills way.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493646

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:10

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:10
Yes, the wide loads were another concern also.

Thanks, i reckon i'll take the country route.
FollowupID: 769247

Reply By: Muntoo - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:13

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:13
Thanks everybody, i thought it would be well travelled and a better option.

Just wasnt sure if the terrain was the same.

I will take the country option, i have travelled Albany-Northam-Perth before on the bus but that was over 10 years ago and i dont remember any of it so will be good to see some new country.

Cheers
AnswerID: 493651

Sponsored Links