Tragedy north of Alice Springs

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:08
ThreadID: 97667 Views:3986 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I just saw this on the NT News site & thought it was worth sharing. Poor guy, I think the Ute was a D22? The roll-bar doesn't seem to have done anything to reduce the impact in the cabin?

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2012/08/25/313132_ntnews.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:20

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:20
I don't think those chromed "dress" bars qualify as roll-bars as such. Totally different specs.

Regards
AnswerID: 493644

Reply By: Muntoo - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:16

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:16
D40 i'd say with those big guard flares.

Those bars are only Sports bars, just for looks. They only mount to the top of the tub, and are usually thin walled stainless. No strength at all.
AnswerID: 493652

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 15:26

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 15:26
The later D22 and D40 guards are much the same. The way to pick them is the fuel filler is on opposite sides and the D22 rear door window has a straight lower edge. I can't see a fuel filler so I reckon it is a D40 (unless of course the picture is back to front.)

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769324

Reply By: veight - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:17

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:17
Second fatality this week in the NT involving someone overtaking a road train.
AnswerID: 493653

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:20

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:20
The Navara was towing a tandem trailer with a vehicle on the trailer.
The way the vehicle is tied down is critical to the stability of the trailer, and when you pull out to overtake, the inertia of the vehicle/load on the trailer would have caused the instability and wobbled in exactly the wrong direction for stability, added to by the buffeting by the road train.

Had some experience with this.

If the vehicle was only captured by it's wheels then the body will roll on the suspension and shockers,

The shocks of the vehicle on the trailer being the absolute critical thing here, and you don't ever need shocks on a trailer either until something goes wrong, then suddenly you do.
Navaras in std trim and done a few Km will have poor shocks, never good to begin with and if towing this creates an inability to control it's own body movement.

This goes to show a relatively light vehicle towing more than it's own weight is inherently unstable and as RECENT THREADS have discussed, not many people take due care. Just because it will tow it easily doesn't mean safety in all circumstances.
To tie the body of the vehicle to the trailer will make it more controlled as the weight of a caravan is, but it still reduces the safety margin when towing.

The Aluminium POSE bar which most vehicles have is either just worn away or just folds up when the pressure is on during an accident.
A human can bend those bars by only using full body weight on one end.
A rollover produces far more force and as the post above says, They can't ever be considered as a Roll Bar. If you think they will protect you, think again.

Probably would not have happened if all mechanical factors had been satisfactory.
AnswerID: 493654

Follow Up By: KevinE - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 18:04

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 18:04
My apologies if I've re-posted something that has been the subject of other recent threads, I must have missed them - it won't happen again!

I'm pretty much aware of the dynamics of what happened, as they put in the story how it happened. Basic physics & CDF pretty much cover the rest! But thanks for your very detailed reply ;)

I was just sharing something I thought like minded people may find interesting.
FollowupID: 769255

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 21:53

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 21:53
A bit like the Charger I was a passenger in a few years back towing a tandem trailer with a big old heavy FB Holden on it, on a dirt road. All was going well until the FB decided it wanted to overtake the Charger.
Heavy trailer, light tow vehicle. Interesting mix.
FollowupID: 769283

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 22:04

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 22:04
KevinE
You didn't post anything wrongly, it is just a situation which has manifested itself in and accident and the concept of towing was robustly discussed in prior threads.
Your report only shows what can happen when all is not considered with tow weights heavier than the tow vehicle.
So no drama, and thanks for making us aware of the accident as we all should take notice of the factors concerning safe towing.
FollowupID: 769285

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 23:04

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 23:04
Still, thanks for going into some detail about it for us that don't know...what you say makes perfect sense too.
FollowupID: 769289

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 09:40

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 09:40
Ross,

Your remarks re tying a vehicle on a trailer, has me confused(easy to do!)

I've almost always used the wheels/axles to tie vehicles down, and if available, used old tyres to sit the vehicle tyres in. See pic below. From my limited experience. I'd suggest that a vehicle tied down like this, would add little detrimental inertia, to the trailer, or the towing vehicle. And they DON'T move about on the trailer floor.

Image Could Not Be Found

On the odd time that I've tied the body down, it is impossible to keep the vehicle immobile unless you pull the tie-downs up so hard, that the vehicle suspension is resting on the bump pads. Even then there is often some movement, and the straps are tight, loose, tight, etc as the trailer is affected by the quality of the road surface.

I towed a Falcon XR6, on a borrowed car trailer, for 900 kms, from Ravenshoe to Winton, and didn't have any issues. Even on the very ordinary blacktop, from Ravenshoe to the Towers.

The instability in this tragic accident may well have been the positioning of the vehicle on the trailer, not how it was tied down. And maybe a bit of excessive speed???

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769496

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 14:06

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 14:06
HaHaHa, You're having a joke with me.

That vehicle is sitting on a semi trailer and the issue wouldn't be there with that situation but with a tandem, most definitely yes
I have had to rope vehicles to the trailer because the suspension was slack and the shockers of the carried vehicle were stuffed, pass a roadworthy though, the body roll was incredible and the rig couldn't travel at more than 30 40kmh.

With it roped to the trailer, 100kmh and stable. Been there done that many times towing for a wrecker. Captured bodywork no problems, chassis/wheels only, big problems. CG always had to be considered too. So the method of tiedown could easily be a contributing factor as others factor also would be. Combined effect together = disaster.
FollowupID: 769507

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 13:24

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 13:24
I used to gain a little cash by offsiding for the brother in law. He had a medium sized truck with a double deck car trailer. It was quite noticable that "late" swing put up by the full load of 8 cars. A single car on a flat bed wont make one iota of a difference.

But a car on a light car trailer will make a difference, even if tied down by the axles and tie down points.

The first time I felt it I got a bit of a "what the bloody hell was that" feeling but then my brother in law in his usual way just laughed.

Phil
FollowupID: 771400

Reply By: Member - nick b - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:10

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:10
Comments from the NT news article !!!!
Latest Comments:

I really find it hard to believe that a tandem trailer would start to sway, i have never seen or herd of such a thing, even when you get a flat tyre on a trailer single or tandem will they sway, i believe it was the road train trailer that swayed into the path of the over taking vehicle, because anyone who travel along the Arnhem or Stuart Highways will note that these road trains consistently sway into the opposite lane. people of the NT can expect alot more deaths on our roads NOW
Posted by: MARRAKAI MAULER of MARRAKAI 09:17am Friday 31st August

Australians just can't drive under any circumstances.

Posted by: Owen Hargreaves 11:59pm Monday 27th August

Very interesting comments " not " I think they needs to get out more .

It is my understanding that the car trailer clipped the drive wheels of the road train so it must have just about passed the truck and the truck had just left A/S and was most likely unloaded and traveling at speed . re roll over bars , Not much is going to save you when you go off the road into rocks at speed !!! Was this just a bad choice of over taking ?
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495801

Sponsored Links