6+ seater car advice

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 13:44
ThreadID: 97668 Views:1853 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently driving a BA ford wagon with dickie seats (extra seating for kids) in the back. It's a good reliable car but the dickie seat can be a pain in the butt at times with the kid either having to climb over the back seat (not good in the mud through winter) or get in through the tailgate.

I will be in the position to upgrade the car soon and we are planning to upgrade from a tent to a camper trailer as well. We have 4 boys aged between 7 & 11 so need a minimum of 6 seats. We are toying with reigniting my previous plan to cross the nullabour which had been put on hold previously. But when not holidaying the car will be taking kids to school and doing the groceries etc.

So many options out there but do we go a 4wd (higher running costs but more flexibility of where we can go) or a people mover (lower running costs & increased comfort)....would be happy to take recommendations.

Also my prefered seating configuration would be 2 seats in the middle and 3 in the back (7 seater) so kids don't have to fold back seats to get to the back row but I've yet to find a 4WD with that seating configuration - really only seen it in a tarago?

planning on a 2nd hand purchase and hopefully around the $25000K mark (am allowing $10K for camper trailer too).

Jude
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trev6 - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 15:43

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 15:43
I don't know if this helps but we was in the same position as you a few years back and decided to go with an 80 series landcruiser, it is one of the basic models with the longer front seat so now we put 3 across the front and 3 across the middle and have all the space available in the back for the luggage (we can also put 3 across the back if we put the seats in).

You con also do the same seating arangements with the basic 100 series as well

and you get the flexibility of the 4wd that you were talking of

Trevor
AnswerID: 493655

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 18:45

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 18:45
I have a Delica 8 seater (though mine is set up more for comfort, there are only two of us!). When set up well these are fairly capable vehicles, though you're never going to turn one into a competition off roader!

With a 2" lift and a rear locker mine has been through many Vic high country tracks , along much of Binns Track and through the Oodnadatta track (though in good conditions that's a bit like saying I've been down to Woolies!) amongst other places.

Take a look at the Delica Club site, you might find them near to meeting your needs. You can get 7 or 8 seaters, long or short wheelbase, high or low roof and deisel or V6 petrol. Being a Jap grey import they have pretty good standard fit-outs and have been around long enough to have a good parts and accessories back-up.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 493664

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 06:11

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 06:11
We've got a 7 seat tribeca for the wife. Nice car, but not big enough for proper sized teenagers right up the back. Maybe a CX9 or kluger but still not big. We had an 80 series as well but once the seats are filled up there's no room. I'd be having a long hard look at the imported busses as per the above post. A TD Delicia would be hard to beat for your purposes, and not having a bonnet means you get a much bigger payload area.
AnswerID: 493690

Follow Up By: Jude&theboys - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:42

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:42
Never heard of a tribeca so will go look that up. I did look (online) at a kluger last night and am thinking that perhaps that might be the way to go. When did they stop making the delicias though? I thought it was a while ago meaning they all would have been around the block a few times. My ford has only done 150000km and I don't want to trade it in on something thats done heaps more as the idea is that it will last us some time yet.

as a child mum and dad used to drive a toyota hiace that had had rear seats put in. it was awesome as there was room for sleeping bags to store under the seats - we kept them there all the time and had them whenever we needed them. It was sooo much better than the old valiant where the 5th gear stuck into the middle front seat passengers leg lol!

Jude
FollowupID: 769299

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:35

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:35
Jude,
TriBeCa is the big Subaru. Not big enough for the team though I'm afraid. There are current versions of the Mitsubishi being imported. I believe the newer ones are all v6. I am no authority on them though.
AnswerID: 493703

Sponsored Links