Cape York Planning

Apologies in advance, I'm going to have a few questions over the next few months! We're planning a trip to Cape York next winter, four months in all (including getting there and back). A few questions to start with..

1. Best guide book(s) recommended?

2. How far ahead should I be looking at booking camp sites? (not impressed that you have to book- it loses some of the spontaneity- but I understand the Parks' point of view).

3. Not interested in challenging ourselves or the vehicle. On the other hand we're experienced 4WD'ers and the vehicle is sound. Can we see most of the best spots without going overboard on the excessively hard stuff?

Last question is a bit vague, but I've only just started researching the placs we'll visit.

4. Is it right that Lakefield is the only NP which allows fishing?

Cheers,

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - OzGazza (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 18:39

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 18:39
You are going to have a fantastic time we thoroughly enjoyed our cape trip.

My blog is Here with details of what we got up to.

Use the navigator on the left and go to June 2009.
AnswerID: 493663

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 18:47

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 18:47
Much appreciated, great site!

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 769261

Reply By: Member - John G- Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:51

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:51
G'day Mark

Best guide book is Ron & Viv Moon's book - worth every dollar and more.

We didn't book ahead for the roadhouse stops, but the deal with National Parks now is that you do have to book ahead.

We are only moderately experienced 4WD'ers. We managed the Old Telegraph Track with no problems, but did come unstuck in the Pascor River coming back from Chilli Beach/Portland Roads after a couple of days of heavy rain.

We did spend a lot of time looking at Youtube, where any number of people post videos of their crossings.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 493711

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 18:26

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 18:26
Thanks for the feedback John. My partner arrived home from work tonight.. with the Ron & Viv Moon book! Great timing.

When you say "come unstuck", hope no damage was done! One of my concerns is how effective the National Park booking system is. I wonder if, after having booked, you can arrive at a camp and find all the spots taken? I doubt they "police" this in most of the remote areas.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 769346

Reply By: Col & Razza - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:08

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:08
1 - We just returned from the cape, we did most of our research online, didnt really worry about a book, a good hema map and google and we were fine.

2 - We didnt bother with booking camp sites, found that it would restrict us to much, so we just stayed at the free camping spots at most creek crossings, but if you were not to do the Old telegraph track that may not be an option. We did go in and check out all the NP camping sites just to see how busy they were, and elliot falls camp ground was empty, chilli beach was probably at 50%, obviously this would depend on what time of year you went, and also i think as more people find that the spots are empty they are just going to start camping without booking. You would hope that if you booked and turned up and someone was in your spot that they would be curtious enough to move on.

3 - As I said we did the Old Telegraph track and didnt find it that hard towing campers, wouldnt take a caravan. We did our trip in August. Palm Creek and Nolans being the most difficult. Oh and getting to Vyrilla Point was probably the roughest road we encountered and one of the trickest bridge crossings. You can jump on and off the OTT in different spots, like I said a hema map will show all these.

4 - As for the fishing we mostly fished off the beach or in our tinnies in the ocean, but thinking back I dont think we saw any "no fishing signs at any of the NP entries.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 494913

Sponsored Links