What is the downside of installig an AGM battery on its side

Hi All,

It's time to replace the battery in the camper and I an considering installing a 150ah AGM battery. The only way I can get it in is to install it on its side. The battery is an Amp-Tech and the web site states "Fully Sealed AGM batteries give added safety in rough conditions. No danger of battery acid spills. Battery functions at any angle (Upside down not recomended)".

I'm not installing it upside down, just on its side. Anyone have experience with this set-up?

Thanks in advance,

Sn00py2
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sn00py2 (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 19:47

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 19:47
Found this for Lifeline AGM batteries. No qualifier about "upside down"

Key Benefits & Features:
“LIFELINE” batteries offer nearly twice the expected life cycles of so called “maintenance free” Gell cell batteries, and are not affected by fast charging, the leading cause of Gel Cell failure. Uses AGM technology. Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM), is a fiber mat that is placed between the battery cells that absorbs the electrolyte acid. This creates a durable, sealed, maintenance free and non-spillable battery that can be used at any angle. Complies with AYF requirements.

Seems to be a few websites stating "any angle" for installation.
AnswerID: 493667

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 20:43

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 20:43
Not going to comment whether you can or you can't mount them on their side but ours at work are mounted on their side and have been mounted that way for 14 years.

Different battery manufacturer though. Others have a different slant on it and say No! No! No! Well buggered if I know. All I know is I haven't seen a problem in all that time. Guess they have mounted them on their sides and have had a problem.

Bit cranky with the manufacturer of the above batteries as I have just had 2 failures from their products in my own vehicle.

RA.
FollowupID: 769281

Follow Up By: Member - Sn00py2 (NSW) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 07:42

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 07:42
Hi Rockape,

Thanks for this information, without breaking the rules of this forum, are you able to tell me the brand you use at work?

Regards,

Sn00py2
FollowupID: 769294

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:43

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:43
Mate they are Optima batteries.

RA.
FollowupID: 769300

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:53

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:53
Yep, agree with what Rockape posted. A while ago we had a dealership for a certain brand of ATV's (quad bikes). They were fitted with either Deka or Yuasa AGM batteries from the factory. Because of the positioning of the larger engines and frame configurations they mounted the batteries on their sides. When the particular models first appeared we questioned them regarding the side mounting. They sent us various info sheets from the manufacturers, including safety documents and a general letter assuring us that side mounting had been extensively tested and would not affect the operation in any way. We had no problems after many years and I can assure you that an ATV in the hands of a geological survey company will be put through a far greater battering (if you will excuse the pun) than most 4WD's.
Having said all that I have never seen an AGM upside down and I guess common sense would tell us that no space restriction would be overcome by mounting the battery upside down.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 769310

Follow Up By: Member - Sn00py2 (NSW) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 15:07

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 15:07
Thanks Rockape and Pop,

I'm now reassured that mounting the batteries on their side is the way to go.

Thanks everyone,

Sn00py2
FollowupID: 769322

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 22:20

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 22:20
Hi Rockape,
I know you’ve had a run-in with Optima regarding the life of your last 2 batteries – but it sounds like a good endorsement if your mining company has been using them for 14 years.
FollowupID: 769370

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 06:22

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 06:22
Dennis,
yes I may have been a bit hard on the product.

I was buying something else at the auto sparkies who also sell Optima among many other brands, so I asked the question about whether they were having any issues with the quality of the new batteries.

His answer was that they hadn't changed and they had very few returns.

FollowupID: 769381

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 23:14

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 23:14
AGM batteries do incorporate a pressure relief system that would only be called upon to operate under very unusual extreme conditions. Because the electrolyte is absorbed in the glass mat, no electrolyte would be expelled if venting occurred when the battery is on its side or end.

However, it is possible that small amounts of free liquid electrolyte can exist and accordingly it is not recommended to mount the battery upside down as this electrolyte could drain to the vents and be expelled if venting should occur.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493683

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 01:10

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 01:10
AGM batteries are technically not sealed batteries. They are VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) batteries. They have liquid acid in them, it's just absorbed in the glass mat separators and none of it sloshes around inside the case. These batteries are just as liable to suffer run-away failures as flooded batteries if something goes wrong. If they are mounted upside down when this happens the liquid and muck expelled from the glass mat may block the valves. You then get a bit of a bang for your buck. Don't take your chances and mount them upside down.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 769292

Follow Up By: Member - Sn00py2 (NSW) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 07:45

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 07:45
Thanks Guys,

I was not intending to mount them upside down, just on their side. Height is my problem in the space I have so mounting the battery on its side allows me to go to a much bigger battery.

Regards,

Sn00py2
FollowupID: 769295

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:07

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:07
You can mount them on all their sides and rule of thumb you loose about 5-10 of their rated capacity...... this is one of the advantages of AGM and Gel over other battery's.

Done many installs like this.

You can not mount them upside down.
AnswerID: 493726

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:12

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:12
Well Richard, you CAN actually mount them upside down ........ but you would have to be pretty stupid. LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 769336

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:18

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:18
Allan all the specs I have have a note saying "do not mount up side down" but any thing is possible with DIYers.

Was it you who had a big dispute a month or so back about mounting angles oh AGM battery's?...... you saying you can't mount them on their sides.

If it was, why the change of heart.
FollowupID: 769393

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:47

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:47
Did you miss the "LOL" at the end of the line? Tongue-in-cheek mate.
"Do not" is not the same as "Can not". Get it now? D'oh.

Wasn't me in a past dispute about AGM mounting.
I am well aware that side mounting is approved.
A search revealed thread 90063 of Nov 12, 2011 titled "AGM Batteries" where there was some dissension about mounting angles, but I was not a contributor to that thread. In fact, did not even see it before. I was crossing the Simpson at that time!
Maybe you should view the thread to clear my name?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 769408

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:55

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:55
Hi Snoppy.
Have had a full river agm 110amp mounted on its side under the tray of my hilux for 5 or so years now. Its connected via 8mm cable to a 65amp full river in the engine bay. The 110amp is far to heavy for the aux spot in a hilux and mine cracked the firewall on a gibb river trip.No probs on the side and mine is at the back so cops all the bumps dust etc.
Cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 493756

Follow Up By: Member - Sn00py2 (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:58

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:58
Thanks Graeme and everyone else for all this valuable information.

Looks like I will go for the side mounting. All I have to do now is adapt the tie down mechanism.

Thanks everyone,

Sn00py2
FollowupID: 769402

Sponsored Links