Strzelecki Track

We are off on a bit of a tour for the next few weeks doing Flinders Ranges, Strzelecki Track to Innaminka, south to Cameron Corner via old track, then Broken Hill, Menindee, Mungo and then back home. I'd be interested if anyone is able to let us know of road conditions and places to stay (we are self sufficient so don't need caravan parks all the time but will stay in some occasionally). Research so far has indicated that the roads are open and 'reasonable' with some slower rougher patches. Any and all comments appreciated as fore-warned is fore-armed. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 05:28

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 05:28
Ross & Kerrie

Most will depend on rain.

We have not done the bit from Lyndhurst Pub, to Merty Merty/Cameron Corner Turn off. But I can recomend the pub at Lyndhurst. There is a small, but nice campground there
Just remember that the Track is a main supply Route to the big gas Fields at Moomba, and countless other OIL Pumps, so SANTOS and whoever like to keep the road in reasonable condition, even if it is wet.
We camped beside a Bore approx 10 k up from the Cameron Corner Turnoff, and it was just magic.
The Innamincka Common, and or Bourke & Wills Dig Tree, near Nappa Merrie Station are both gr8 places to set up camp.
The old Strzlecki Track is impassible if wet.

The intersection of the Old Track, and the The Cameron Corner Rd can be a challenge if wet, but not impossible, even when wet, and the next 4-5 km towards CC.
Have never camped at Cameron Corner but there is plenty of room around the place to set up, and the Pub/store is great.
Tiboburra Caravan Park is a good place to stay, and there are 2 gr8 pubs in the town.
A really nice pub at Packsadle, with campgrounds out the back.
Now if it is wet, and the road is closed, it is usually at Packsaddle Creek, and the worst part the pub is on the other side of the impassible Creek. BUMBER !

Most of the road back to Broken Hill is bitumen, these days

In Broken Hill the main parks were full, but we did find another Cvan park near the Greyhound Track, off Jabez Street.
There is a supurb information Centre there, so use it to get all iinformation you will need.
BH is an amazing place to visit, with Pro Hart's and Jack Absolem's Gallery's, and countless others as well, and a day at the Desert Park, and another out at Silverton.
That town is high on our "must return to" list.

We did Menindee,, but only stopped for ice creams, from what I remember, it is mainly a dirt road, again depending on rain.
Pooncarrie was real nice, and we hope to get back there one day soon, and do Mungo NP as well.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 493687

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 14:00

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 14:00
Good run down Bucky,

I would only add that a camping option for Broken Hill is Silverton. Great place to visit as well, good pub.
FollowupID: 769314

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 14:01

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 14:01
Opps then I re-read you comments... sorry you had added Silverton.
FollowupID: 769315

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 07:16

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 07:16
Silverton was awesome.
I took a heap of high resolution foto's there, especially in the old Jail/Museum

Sad part of it was the card died on the trip, and I lost them all

Bumber :(

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 769383

Reply By: CraigB - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:16

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:16
We were up that way last month. As mentioned any rain will dictate road conditions. In general roads were pretty good. However, parts of the Strzelecki did have some rough and cut up sections due to nincompoops trying to drive through during the last rains. Apart from those places already mentioned you might want try Montecollina Bore on the Strzelecki.
AnswerID: 493692

Reply By: Dr Hook - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:28

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:28
Just got back: Strz real good: Cameron Corner a few minor corrugations.
88kms east of Lyndhurst (turnoff a few kms past the Nob): Mt Freeling Station Shearers Quarters (they only just switched to beef). Best 4WD-ing in the Flinders but tracks a bit rougher than last time I was there (they had 60" rain in the last 4 years!) Say G'day to Scott. Good Bloke. 2 full days sriving around: Slate Mine & Yudnamuttana Mine one day, Mt Fitton & University Lookout the next.
Track out via Moolowatana is very slow. Best to track back to re-join the Strz at the Nob.
Don't forget Montecollena Bore for a night-time romantic spa.
Old Strz track should be passable but Merty Merty might still have "closed" sign up at their end. (too late!). Ditto for Bore Track & Bollards Lagoon.
Tibooburra: Nat'l Park at Dead Horse gully (North of town) has stuff to see (goldmine paraphanalia), but don't allow campfires: we stayed at the Lands Council park (just SE of town) : excellent toilets, shelter/tables and toilets, bring your own firewood. (Pay at the Family Hotel).
Broken Hill Tourist Park: great if you don't mind grey nomads: book ahead and stick by your booking. Other Camping Ground apparently has a resident thief (cash only, not stuff).
Menindee Lakes: whilst there are plenty of campsites on Kinchega, take a look at the website re: Shearers Quarters: EXCELLENT! (THey even set up a load of firewood for our big campfire.) Book and pay before you go! They post back your "tickets".
Have fun!
AnswerID: 493729

Follow Up By: Dr Hook - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:31

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 17:31
Tibooburra Lands Council campsite: I meant toilets & showers.
FollowupID: 769341

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 20:01

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 20:01
Is it practical to do a day trip from Tibooburra to Cameron Corner and return?
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769356

Follow Up By: CraigB - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:49

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:49
Tibooburra to Cammeron Corner & return easy in a day.
FollowupID: 769411

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 17:06

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 17:06
Thanks CarigB. Thought it looked dooable in a day.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769451

Reply By: s&p5762 - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 23:56

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 23:56
Did similar and got back 10 days ago. Suggest Farina, had flush toilets and donkey heated shower, Montecollina a must, but no facilities, Silverton good too. The Strez at the Lyndhurst end very stony, and the odd patch of corrugation along the way, stop and see Talc Alf on your way out of Lyndhurst. The rest of the Strez was very good. Camped at Innamincka Common, was very windy, has longdrops. Fishing was good, good sized Callop, take some bait prawns.
Enjoy
AnswerID: 493760

Reply By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 19:47

Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 19:47
Hi Ross & Kerrie B

I came down the OLD Strezlecki Track last week from Innamincka to Merty Merty and it was in excellent condition. We then went on down from Merty Merty to Cameron's Corner and the road was generally pretty good with some small areas of corrugations but easily handled with a bit of care. After Cameron's Corner we travelled about another 80kms and stayed at Sturt National Park in the Fort Grey camp area which is a large camp area and we were all alone so had a very peaceful night. It was a good place to stop overnight.

Regards
Snolly
AnswerID: 494142

Sponsored Links