Canvas seat covers - Are they a necessity?

Submitted: Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:45
ThreadID: 97682 Views:2961 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
we have recently seen cotton lined canvas seat covers that are recommended for travelling for 4 wheel drive vehicles.They are a heavy duty,breathable, waterproof canvas and we were just wondering what your thoughts may be as to whether they are a necessity or not whilst travelling around Australia.

Happy Travelling,
Cant wait till we are out there with you all !!
Kind Regards
Sue and Shaun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:54

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:54
It all depends on what essential really is.
I had looked at them for a couple of years and decided to buy some cheap ones for just the front seats.
Couldn't justify $300 for two front seat for the full canvas everywhere so when Supercheap had some for $50 I fitted the two front ones.

It is amazing how dirty the drivers seat gets while the passenger seat, not often used is clean. So it must be keeping dirt out of the seat fabric. That was the effect I wanted to achieve.
AnswerID: 493705

Reply By: TheMightyMoose - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:43

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:43
Have been travelling in a 4WD for yonks without them so I guess my answer is NO.
AnswerID: 493707

Reply By: Dr Hook - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 15:12

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 15:12
I use sheepskin covers:

- tough, lasts a lifetime (more than the sheep!)
- cool in summer, warm in winter
- waterproof (did you ever see a sheep leak??!)
- non-shrink (did you ever see a sheep shrink?)
- colour of choice
- holds the dust without smearing it on your clothing
- easy cleaned (handsoak, with laundry products designed for Woollen garments) and dry on the line
- current pair have already lasted 10 years over 2 Patrols (300,000kms and lots of far north travels and they still look like new (unlike me).

Dr Hook
AnswerID: 493717

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 14:54

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 at 14:54
We have them because they came with the car. I still have lambs wool over the top in the front because the front seats in the 76 are not exactly comfy on long runs. The kids don't seem to mind on the back seat, neither do I the cleaner. I wouldnt go out and buy them for the front in our next car.
AnswerID: 493790

Sponsored Links