Exmouth\Coral Bay to Perth

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:00
ThreadID: 97720 Views:2356 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Currently in Broome but we are heading down the coast after visiting Karijini NP starting from the Exmouth \ Coral area towards Perth and am having trouble figuring out we should stay (which towns and which Caravan Parks)

We have about 2 weeks for this portion of our trip including Exmouth &\or Coral Bay and my current thinking was:

Exmouth 3 nights
Coral Bay 3 nights
Carnarvon 1 night
Monkey Mia 3 nights
Kalbarri 1 night
Geraldton 2 nights
Cervantes 1 night

Could someone suggest a better itinerary?

We are looking forward to snorkelling at Exmouth or Coral Bay (do we need to stay at both??) and seeing things like the Pinnacles etc (ie we like to see the natural attractions but are not into fishing)

How critical is booking in early mid September down the coast? Here in Broome the peak has just passed about a week ago and you can now rock up to caravan parks without pre-booking
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi100 - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:48

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:48
The Broome mob will have all continued on the west/south-west circuit so you should find there is no need to book anything. It's a couple of years since we went through there at the same time of year, but it most likely hasn't changed much. We found that the westerly winds tended to predominate at that time of the year, making it a bit less idyllic for all except the sail/kite-boarders who were having a blast, but it was worth it to miss the crowds.
If the Exmouth nights are not around the corner in Ningaloo, they should be ;)

Michael
AnswerID: 493848

Reply By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 13:28

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 13:28
We are currently working at the Denham Seaside Tourist Village and have been nearly completely booked out for the past 3 months and it is the same up to mid September. There are a few vacancies here and there and no problem for very small vans, campers and cancellations, Kalbarri and Geraldton are the same. Will pay to book ahead just in case. :-)
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy but the bible says love your enemy

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493851

Reply By: kym111 - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 16:20

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 16:20
I can't vouch for the availability, but there are a few parks in Geraldton. North end of town is the Drummond Cove Holiday Park (prior to the Gull 440 Roadhouse), then there's Sunset Beach Holiday Park and the Batavia Coast Caravan Park. On the southern end of town is the Belair Gardens Caravan Park, Greenough Rivermouth Caravan Park and S-Bend Caravan Park.

We're at the start of wildflower season, so will be pretty busy in the region. I'm not sure how the rains went, but you can expect to start to see everlastings probably from south of Carnarvon. There are some spectacular sights usually inland a bit towards Mullewa and down around Mingenew and the Coal Seam.

I'd be more inclined to see how I felt about a place before deciding how long to stay. See if you like the local attractions. If not, move on, otherwise stay!Kalbarri is 1 1/2 hrs or so from Geraldton, Shark Bay is about 5 hrs from Gero, Carnarvon also 5 hrs, from memory, I think Exmouth/Coral Bay is about 8-9 hrs, but perhaps someone else can verify this (it's been a few years since I have been in there). These times also working on 110kms/hr, if you are towing, you will naturally take a bit longer.

Hope this helps. I usually drive straight through to Karratha from Geraldton and back again, and bypass the other places!
AnswerID: 493861

Reply By: OzNjB - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 16:57

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 16:57
Thanks

The Exmouth Caravan Park just emailed me to say that I shouldn't need to book with them which will give me some flexibility there.

Sounds like I might need to book in the Monkey Mia region based on Hayjude's comments
AnswerID: 493867

Follow Up By: billy the kid - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 23:31

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 23:31
I recently stayed at the shark bay c/van park on a powered site for $24. It's a fairly basic park but for 24 bucks you cannot complain.
FollowupID: 769542

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 23:12

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 23:12
Kalbarri is worth a few days OzNjB

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493893

Follow Up By: OzNjB - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:12

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:12
Thnks Motherhen - we just realised that and are going to stay there for a few days
FollowupID: 769552

Reply By: scoots68 - Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 00:32

Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 00:32
We are currently in Exmouth at the Big 4, nice but quite expensive & a long way from the beaches. We just turned up and got a spot & are staying 5 nights. Would be well worth trying to book into a site at Cape Range NP while you are in Exmouth region - no power or facilities other than drop pits but spectacular location only 100 metres or so from the beach. Other options here would be the Lighthouse CP or Yardie Ck station which are both out of town but nearer to the reef. We've been away 9 weeks and haven't pre-booked anything yet other than ringing Pt Hedland on the morning we planned to arrive. Our itinerary is similar to what you've planned but with extra days at Kalbarri. Cheers Rachael
AnswerID: 494093

Sponsored Links