Tinny towing options once off camper trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 17:24
ThreadID: 97727 Views:6994 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am taking a tinny on top of a camper trailer on tour. Any suggestions on a set of wheels to hook on the back for towing it to the boat ramp from our camp?

I would like to use something simpler than a folding boat trailer if possible, like two detachable wheels with G-clamps, some kind of plate to bolt onto the tow bar and ratchet strap to hold it all together.

I have heard of system by AQUATRAIL with two wheels mounted on stainless with guards and springs, which clip onto two lugs fitted to the transom, and a detachable D-bar for around $550 but I can't find any information on it or dealers. I am not sure but they may have changed their name??

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Nathan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 17:48

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 at 17:48
Places like BCF have wheels to move kayaks/canoes around. I'm sure I remember seeing some for tinnies. How they work with tinnies i'm not sure.
AnswerID: 493869

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 07:21

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 07:21
Hi, Depends a bit on where & how far you want to move you boat. If on public road would probably need fold up that is registerable. Short distance to launch or across beach you can get small balloon tyres that bolt to the back of the tinnie & fold up when in the water. Simple system that could be home made. Have seen clamp type that fit to side of boat but need to be braced under boat. For towing have seen a V arrangement that fits to the towing point on the boat with a light tow hitch. Again home made & only suitable for short distances & slow speed.
Researched this when I was planning my travels but in the end gave the idea away as talking to others they said the boat was not used as much as they planned. Bill
AnswerID: 493898

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 07:25

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 07:25
The clamp on type wheels (at least the pair I have) are useless to use for anything apart from concrete/bitumen surfaces and they would certainly be illegal to tow with.

A folding (and registerable) boat trailer is your only real option Nathan.
My trailer (Flip'N'Easy) is excellent for towing the tinny over relatively short distances, although it doesn't have suspension like some models do.

The Clamp on wheels I have tend to twist off when wheeling over sand or other soft surface and they are barely useful.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493900

Sponsored Links