iPhone app for maps

Hi all,
I know there are plenty of apps for 4wd-ing and camping sites, but I think I am looking for some slightly different features. I do a couple of camping trips per year but not to designated camping sites, more so to various stations. I am not familiar with many of the stations in regards to navigation so I was looking for an app that would allow me to do the following:
-precisely mark on a map where our campsite is
-precisely mark on a map where the homestead is
-have the app track my location when I want it to so that it plots the various tracks on a map
-view as many outback tracks/routes as possible

If anyone could give me some advice on whether there are any apps fitting this description that people are happy with, I would much appreciate it.

By the way, I'm not going to be depending on this app to rescue me in a life threatening situation or anything, but it would be handy when exploring larger stations.

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:04

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:04
Hi

Not sure what "4WD/Camping" apps you are refering too but suspect most if not all do exactly what you want with respect to
-precisely mark on a map where our campsite is
-precisely mark on a map where the homestead is
-have the app track my location when I want it to so that it plots the various tracks on a map....

as they are gps mapping programs/apps (the fact that 4WD/campers use them and you dont put yourself in this category is sort of irrelevant)

What you appear to be chasing is actually a set of the most detailed available maps for one or more of the availble apps. Suspect the 250K Natmaps would be your best bet for a starters as they show all the stations and many station tracks..though the scale isnt that accurate (but may suit you needs). There are also 100K, 50K and 25 K maps for some areas (25K raster maps have limited coverage in "station" areas so not really an option). Also it is possible to create or use google earth images in some programs (e.g. if you cache images from an area before you leave town you would not need the internet when out there).

Having said all that I dont know what program/app would be best (which uses maps I have suggested) as havent dabbled in that area much. The Hema app maybe the go but not sure if the 250K maps are available in a suitable format. A program called TwoNav is good and can use 250K maps. These both cost money - there maybe free apps. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494066

Reply By: mikehzz - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:50

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:50
To do what you want would require the more detailed maps, down to 25K. For the iphone you would need to run something like Memory Map and pay the bickies for the appropriate map set. Motion X will also do it but you would have to download and cache the maps from the web before you went if there was no mobile service at the location. There are plenty of applications around, it's decent maps in the right format that are the problem. Good maps already in the right format usually cost a bomb. That's where Oziexplorer is good as you can snag the maps from "various places" for free. Only problem is it doesn't run on the iphone yet. It's in development though. Cheers
AnswerID: 494069

Reply By: ExplorOz - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 19:11

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 19:11
Sam have you looked at the Places section of this site? The mapping engine here offers 250k topo. Also take a look at OziExplorer software. Give our office a call on Monday and have a chat with Adele for advice if you wish.
michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 494083

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 19:58

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 19:58
Hello

OziExplorer at this point in time doesn't offer Ipad/Iphone version so no joy there for the OP...I do however feel ("in my water") it may not be far off.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 769747

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 11:39

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 11:39
Yes true Greg but my intent was to suggest going beyond the device limitations and wasn't taking the "app" statement too literally - most people we deal with don't really know what they want, but initially start with questions like this. Highly recommend anyone with queries give our office a call. Most happy to help. Ask for Adele.

CheerS!
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 769799

Sponsored Links