superchargers

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 978 Views:1651 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
i have a 92 patrol 4.2 natrually aspired deisel am looking at fitting a supercharger have driven one on the black top, would like to know of any down side and how hard they pull in the soft sand, any input would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andrew - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
thats an interesting idea, i am not sure but i think fitting a turbo would be cheaper and possibly more effective however, i drive a gq 2.8td and i can understand a turbo doesnt suit everyone, ie i would imagine a supercharger runninng on a belt is more reliable than a red hot turbine spinning around, have you known anyone to fit a s/c to patrol, let us know how it goes, especially interested if you get it on a dyno.
AnswerID: 2900

Follow Up By: Colin - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
have only seen 1 mq patrol with a s/c and never got a chance to talk to the owner. drove a 4x4 shop patrol, he had a lot of weight on board, 3 tonnes. i was very impressed it drove like a petrol right from the start it pulled hard it wanted to keep pulling right up to 4 grand. Price wise cheaper than an intercooled turbo, $5500 fitted. they also keep both my air cleaners. they also fit a pyrometer temp guage connected to the exhaust, apparantly u drive the car of that guage for best economy.will let u know how it goes, about 2 weeks
FollowupID: 1132

Reply By: Hilly - Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00
Colin,
I have a 4.2 litre Cruiser with a Sprintex supercharger fitted. The improvement in power from standard is remarkable. I recently towed a Coromal Magnum 440 camper trailer across the Great Central road from Perth to Yulara, up to Darwin and then on to the top of Queensland before leaving it in Mossman and doing the Cape in tents. The economy has suffered a bit, but it doesn't seem to change whether you tow or have the aircon running. Overtaking no longer requires me to phone ahead a week in advance and make a reservation. It's just a matter of put the foot down and hang on. The greatest advantage is that you are getting your boost all the way from idle and do not need to have the revs up a little in order to get the turbo spinning. One disadvantage is that the belt spacer moves the fan forward about 25mm and I paaid the price for not blinding my radiator when crossing the Goyder River on the way back from Nhulunbuy, but that's another story altogether. Do i recommend them as a power booster. bleep yeah!
AnswerID: 3100

Sponsored Links