Road Safety Campaign Targets Grey Nomads

Submitted: Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 08:15
ThreadID: 97804 Views:3742 Replies:15 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
Police in outback Queensland have launched a road safety campaign targeting grey nomads around the nation.

See full ABC story here.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 09:20

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 09:20
G'day Allan

I will have an educated guess that the Police will make things "safer" for the Grey Nomads by issuing fines !!

Happy Travelling

Gazz
AnswerID: 494156

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 09:43

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 09:43
Allan,

I thought the timing was a bit late, but might "save" some, on their way home, and if re-introduced early next year, would certainly be of some benefit.

Some of these "travellers" need all the help they can get!!! We live very near one of the servos in Winton, and yesterday, watched with some amazement, as a bloke bounced his 100 series, and caravan, over a cement barrier, so he could get his rig into the bowsers, in a straight line. The positioning of some of the bowsers is not so caravan friendly, but many do fill up, without the need to abuse their rigs.

Suppose there'll be another mob next year, with similar attitude to some, that were here this year?

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 494159

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:29

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:29
I watched one the other day have 4 attempts to park his car at the bowser.........three times he pulled out onto a busy highway to turn around because he just couldnt reverse it. And the worse thing the bowser is set up for trucks, away from the driveway were there is enough room to get a road train in and out!!!!
FollowupID: 769797

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 18:40

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 18:40
Don't know how you manage to put up with it Bob.Must be a hell of a strain on your nerves. Prehaps a testing station on the border might help.
Cheers, Dave.
FollowupID: 769814

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:16

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:16
Don't worry, Dave. Get a lot of entertainment out of some of the grey nomads, and others.

Boosts my confidence, and let's me know I'm not the best driver in Qld, but not the worst either. LOL

Testing Stations? Ha ha, the copper said today, when asked if all the roll-overs were from interstate, Dominic said "No, They might be able to win the footy, but a lot are from Qld" or words to that effect.

Also see some bloody nice 'vans, so should know what we need, once we win Lotto.

Bob.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769822

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 09:49

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 09:49
Gday,
They do need to do something......Id be in favour of everyone haveing to sit a practical driving test to tow anything bigger than a 6x4 trailer. (including reversing!)
Trouble is they would turn it into a revenue thing and try to make a heap of money out of it.
AnswerID: 494160

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 19:41

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 19:41
x2
FollowupID: 769818

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 04:43

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 04:43
G day Hairy

That is good call Mate !
I see it all the time, as people flock down this way, to Visit South Gippsland and Phillip Island.

Big super payout, and practically no experience, spell potential disaster.
It really is up to the Authorities to do something, without making a money spinner out of it. (good luck there)

Heavy Rigid, Semi trailer, B-Double, and Road Train drivers have to work their way up to drive these monsters, but a Caravanner, can basically just go and buy a big van, and not know how to control it. The caravan dealers are not gunna police "can I see you reverse a van first" and loose a sale.

The other side of the coin, not all are bad drivers. There are some ripper people out there pulling vans around. Hopefully one day soon I will be one
Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 769832

Reply By: Mad Habits - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:16

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:16
Great timing! I'm on my way out there in the next couple of weeks. Fortunately for me my hairs not grey yet so they won't bother me as I sail by with 3.5ton in tow, they will probably just wave with a smirk on their faces whilst thinking "we'll get him in a few years" when he's a grey nomad - Yeh right:-) Where's my wallet?
Cheers!
Nigel
AnswerID: 494162

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 18:22

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 18:22
Not a worry - as soon as someone tells those cops that it's against federal law to discriminate against people on the basis of age, all will be fine (hair color is a different matter but - that may be the weak spot in my cunning plan). If cornered though, a small 'consideration' in a plain brown wrapper has, historically, solved many issues with the 'law' in Queensland (according to reliable sources).
AnswerID: 494187

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 19:07

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 19:07
Hey Guys........ C'mon,

Perhaps I got it wrong but I understood this was to be an education campaign.

What's all this about "fines", "driving tests", "wallets" and "discrimination"?

A cop comes up with a positive plan and you cynics slam him!

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 494188

Follow Up By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 19:20

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 19:20
The only thing positive about it will be the revenue they raise to help Qld out of the financial mess they have got themselves into.
FollowupID: 769817

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:04

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:04
You must be reading more into it than me?
I cant see anyone slaming him?
FollowupID: 769820

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:09

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:09
Allan,

Heard an interview with Dominic Richardson, on ABC this arvo, and he sounds more than genuine to me. He mentioned the distress many couples face after they write of their 'van and/or tug, or both. Many of them have only been on the road for a fortnight!!!

Would imagine you'd be totally without compassion, not to feel for these travellers, and the end of their "dream".

As for polishing his biro, I doubt if he's that sort of bloke. Okay, he's got to keep up some quota, but there's plenty of mugs on the highways that would make it real easy for him. He has to live in that community, and the easiest way is to get along with most people in the district.

Anyway someones gotta educate these Grey nomads. The way they're trying to wipe themselves out, I'll be the only baby boomer left in 20 years.

Good post, Allan,

Bob.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769821

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 21:57

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 21:57
Hi Allan,

I've nothing much to comment, only thanks for the post and don't worry about the cynics.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769828

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 19:53

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 19:53
The last photo sent shivers up my spine.I think we can all learn a thing or two. I'm in the middle not old and certainly not young and learn something every time were out towing. Just wish the authorities would just introduce a licence class for towing.
AnswerID: 494191

Reply By: mountainman - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:13

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:13
definatly needs to be done now.
working on the albury wodonga bypass, saw a elderly couple drive their car,van through the site when the road was closed.....to the public.
holy CRAP
and recently saw a older couple almost drive off with the caravan leveler stands still down........
AnswerID: 494192

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 04:53

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 04:53
Not all idiots are Grey Nomads

The Transport Supervisor at work, did exactly that, but with the jack wheels down on a B-Double, and totaled them.
He was only in his 40's.

He was a bit of a DH, so the rest of the mechanics, just let him go.
The boys were still drying their eyes a week later.

FollowupID: 769834

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 23:40

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 23:40
Hey! come on Bucky! enough of the beat up on 40(ish) year olds!......Im still there. LOL
FollowupID: 769928

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 06:03

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 06:03
LOL
FollowupID: 770064

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:59

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 20:59
Hi Allan,

I'm sitting here at Tomato Island on the Roper River having joined the hordes migrating north for the first time. No I'm not yet grey!

I love these campaigns because they rarely produce any accountable results other than revenue, No one will ever know how many lives have been saved by the righteous. It is a tough argument off course but I bet that if there were more rest stops with facilities, better servos, better roads and pullover lanes to let everyone past we'd save a lot of lives. I know I'm out on a limb on this stuff because looking in the mirror for that blue light will no doubt make it safer for all.

Thanks for the tip I'll go back via the coast road. The problem with us cynics (my wife tells me I'm one) is that sooner or later someone will prove us right.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 494196

Reply By: Dreadnought - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 01:55

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 01:55
I think this is a great idea. We all know, as we get older and turn 50 and over, the rate of ageing increases remarkably. Reflexes aren't as sharp as they once were, eyesight diminishes, and even bladder control isn't what it used to be. Any tools that old people can use or learn that keeps them on the road and not doing laps around fuel bowsers has got to be a good thing. The nation was built on the backs of a lot of these elderly Australian citizens, any campaign that helps the oldies in their senile years is something we should all support.
AnswerID: 494205

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 22:02

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 22:02
OMG any other broard generalisations to throw in there?
sheesh, how about the male drivers stupid for about 70% of their lives, the aggressive girlies . mums driving kids to school..people who drive wearing hats? How about the just plain stupid people that always have been & always will be stupid, indecisive, annoying & sometimes dangerous?

I think an education program is a good idea for everyone, not just the "grey nomads" - and as long as it does not turn into a money grab - a risk with Qld's current financial status.

as for bladder control... at least I have good a laugh tonight :) ooops hahahhaha
Deadnought - you are usually entertaining & did not disappoint with this :)
FollowupID: 769916

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 04:58

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 04:58
And about time. Good on the coppers.

I will miss the entertainment but not the prangs and near misses.

Phil
AnswerID: 494208

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 05:15

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 05:15
Here is a truckie's poem from the road which says it all.

Caravaners and travellers.

It's is called - "Not on sixpence"

You can’t stop a big rig on sixpence
If only the car drivers knew

With such a long load you gotta have room
It takes just a gear change or two

And -
If I come along to a crossing
For you to walk out when you choose
Just think for a bit - if I have to pull up
Imagine the revs that I loose!

Then -
When I drive along in my Kenworth
I see all the cars weave and duck
They think its all fun but it isn’t for me,
I just can’t do that in my truck

And -
When you drive along all the back roads
And see the dead animals there
Don’t think for a minute that we didn’t wish
That we could just give ‘em a scare

Cos -
We can’t stop a big rig on sixpence
We need a fair distance for that
As we see roos coming we just grit our teeth
And hope that we don’t hear a…….splat………..

So -
As we roll along all the highways
And look out our window at you
Just give us a wave – not the finger
We’re doin’ what we have to do

Cos –
We cart all the grain for your brekky
We cart all the milk for your tea
We cart all the fruit for your family
We even cart fish from the sea

So -
When you drive along in your auto
And you pull in front of a truck
Just think of what’s pushing behind him
Or BOTH of us might need some luck

Cos –
We can’t stop a big rig on sixpence
And when you don’t know what you’ve done
We have to decide how to miss you
And that’s when we tend to have fun…………

Of course there’s some cowboys among us
And sometimes we owe it to you
But just try to think of us kindly
It’s a hell of a job that we do

- Cheryl(Cill)Van Der Velden

AnswerID: 494209

Follow Up By: Harry - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 19:47

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 19:47
Lotta truths in that little poem, I'll print that so I can read it over the airways while on the road.
Thanks Rockape
FollowupID: 769897

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 20:34

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 20:34
Harry,
mate had a caravan pass him between Winton and Longreach a good few years ago. As the van pulled in front of his prime mover they lost control and his rig went over the top of them.

He lost his living and he was a very troubled person for a long time.

The more education the better.

RA.
FollowupID: 769908

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 23:35

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 23:35
Good call.......
I drive a truck occationaly and Im pretty sure a lot of people dont understand you cant just hit the brakes and stop! Most people try their best to allow for the unforseen......but .........education in towing would be a good start I reckon.

Cheers
FollowupID: 769926

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:18

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:18
After reading most of the answers here, I have a question .....
Should P-Platers be allowed to tow?

AnswerID: 494216

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 12:48

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 12:48
NO they should do their time with out towing.
FollowupID: 769857

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 15:48

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 15:48
An "L" is for learning how to drive and control a car on the road and exercise their knowledge of the road rules actually behind the wheel and not just reading or studying a book or the computer. And also assisted by a guide to assist or take over if required. Not going solo or towing (???).

A "P" plate is to gain some driving experience actually on the road and in any traffic/weather situation when solo.

Would you really let anyone inexperienced both on the road as a solo driver and having never towed before solo let alone with a guide, behind the wheel of a 3 ton car with another one to two tons on the back.

Darned if I would.

Phil
FollowupID: 769875

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 16:36

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 16:36
I did a fair bit of my Learners towing a boat on the then very narrow roads South of Bussleton WA :-)

Never had an issue all my life with towing & backing a rig.

So should it be part of getting a license? After all you can tow when you get it :-)

(And before:-)

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 769876

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 17:16

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 17:16
Learner drivers are not allowed to tow!

FollowupID: 769881

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 19:30

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 19:30
Same as Shaker here in NSW.
FollowupID: 769893

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 23:37

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 23:37
If they pass a test.........why not?
FollowupID: 769927

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 08:09

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 08:09
If only they would produce testing for towing, Hairs. Some kids can back, they do it at home but driving around in traffic is something else. Moving along now before off topic comes along.
FollowupID: 769934

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 08:54

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 08:54
I agree with the principle that if you pass a test for towing then fine. But then I think of how many other aspects in which do we need to specifically do an offical formal course and pass a test. Snatch strap usage and associated safety measures immediately comes to mind. And even how to chop. What!! You say. I had a new supervisor who had been an academic all his previous 20 years working. Believe me, that he wouldn't even know which end of a hammer to hit with. Brilliant mind, but atrocious mechanical skills.

And that is what we have with a lot of our "targeted" mob. Maybe not all but a hell of a lot of us. I am not ruling me out but then again I have done a bundle of 4WD and off road courses and that's why we joined a club.

So where would the etsting end.

I think that we need to privately get the education. Do the towing or 4WD (snatch) course. And with an approved mob. Not necessarily Bob at the pub. But then something may be better than nothing.

So we have to bite the bullet and use our own maturity to decide. Education but not necessarily official.
FollowupID: 769936

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:47

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:47
"I think that we need to privately get the education."
Yep yep.
How does the saying go? The onus is on our selves.
FollowupID: 769939

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 16:08

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 16:08
PJR - Anything where you are controlling a car & a load on the Main Roads should have a test of competency.

It is mostly already in place, they just forgot to factor in a vehicle towing. For instance I had to get a HR truck license to drive bigger & longer etc etc. If you want to go B-Double you need further endorsement. Semi etc...

Once you have to tow you should be tested and have an endorsed license to show you are competent to tow.

The Off road stuff should be always be on the person to learn.
FollowupID: 769958

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 16:11

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 16:11
Shaker - back in the 70s on WA Roads it must have not been an issue :-)

Or my dad was naughty :-)

I know my mother & other siblings were very nervous :-)

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 769959

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 16:33

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 16:33
Here is a scary one involving the granting of MC licences.

2 people I know well with HR licences that they had hardly used went to a provider and in the space of one weekend, $750 and 15 mins in the B-double obtained MC licences.

Makes you wonder don't it.

FollowupID: 769961

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 18:41

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 18:41
Tonyfish

True. I can't see where I said anything to the contrary. Just as I did.

But we are not talking about trucks and professional driving here. Thats way off mark and good on you. These are elder citizens on "holidays" in family type cars towing only a few tons. Maybe even a ute if you want. But not registered trucks etc.

I just used the ones that immediately came to mind to show that some training is needed even for them. Even though they are not generally used on gazetted roads. But they could be.

Do I have to spell it out for you. Read my point and don't "pick" words within.

Phil
FollowupID: 769969

Reply By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 10:11

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 10:11
Here in the West on our inland and coastal Great Northern Hwy the speed that some of the trucks are travelling at is not legal and is resulting in very dangerous road conditions .We had another head on collision last week north of manilya Road house south os Nanutarra . The Road there is very narrow .
AnswerID: 494221

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 16:39

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 16:39
It would not only be the trucks :-)

It is the driver. Some trucks speed, some cars speed, some bikes speed etc

Some go to slow

Most go around the speed limit.

Cheers Tony

FollowupID: 769877

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 23:46

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 23:46
Gday,
Most trucks are speed rated.....not all, but most.
I see more near misses from trucks spending too much time in the wrong lane because they take too long to get around the bloke in front rather than speeding up and getting aroung quickley? Catch22 I suppose.
FollowupID: 769929

Reply By: Member - Keith B (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:19

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:19
I wonder what police will actually target - speeding, hooning,........?
I know police were checking caravan weights, tow weights, tow ball loadings etc near Rockhampton some weeks ago.
AnswerID: 494286

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:56

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:56
It's an education programme Keith.
Did you actually read the news report?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 769941

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 06:25

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 06:25
The Police set up a similar "Safety Check" at Childers a couple of weeks ago with the scales etc, on 4WD's, caravans etc heading south.
Lyn
FollowupID: 770065

Sponsored Links