Anne Beadell Highway Closure Dates

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 22:25
ThreadID: 97861 Views:2943 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

This may be of interest to those that are still planning a trip along one of Australia's great desert drives and especially if are hoping to be out there in Mid October.

I was speaking with one of the officials at Woomera today about some information from our last Anne Beadell Highway drive. During the conversation, the topic was raised about the permits and closures along the Anne Beadell.

I have raised this topic here on the forum many times in the past and I can not stress the importance of applying for and having the correct permits for this special trip.

Permits are FREE and are put in place for a reason, so there is no excuse for heading out that way without the correct permits in hand. Officials do go out at times and I was told that when they do stop and check for permits, "You should see the Look on their Faces" from those that shun the system.

Bookmark this Web page, and it is important to know just when the Anne Beadell will be closed to the general public:

Anne Beadell Closure Dates

If you still have any queries, you can contact the very helpful staff at Woomera on 08 - 8674 3210

Enjoy the Anne Beadell and be a responsible four wheel driver.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - SneakStoffel - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 23:04

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 23:04
I contacted Woomera a few weeks ago to enquire about the permits for crossing the Anne Beadell Highway. I found the forms on the site that you linked to. I emailed them -- woomera.enquiries@defence.gov.au -- with the completed form, and received my approved permit via email two hours later.

I also emailed the Maralinga Tjarutja about the permits required for the Maralinga Tjarutja and for the Mamungari national park. They now charge a fee for the permit and also for camping in the Mamungari National Park. The email address is senioradmin@maralinga.com.au. They sent me the new application form via email, I then completed it, transferred the permit money, and emailed the complete application with proof of payment back. About two weeks later I received the permit in the mail.

We have a deserts park pass, allowing us to access and camp in Talaringa National Park.

I agree with you, Stephen. It is so much easier to do the right thing. Hopefully that ensures that we will in future also be able to access these special parts of our country.

Regards,
Christelle

AnswerID: 494338

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 23:12

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2012 at 23:12
Hi Christelle

Good to see that you have done the right thing.

It is a fantastic drive and I am now counting down the months again until next years full drive again.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 769996

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 21:06

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 21:06
Hi Stephen.
Great info to post. We intend to do this trip just have not got around to it yet.

Cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 494380

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 21:56

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 21:56
Hi Graeme

It is a fantastic drive and a favourite of mine. Do make the effort and you will thank yourself. Yes the track has some good corrugations on the SA side, but with the proper vehicle set up and speed, you can live with them.

The horror stories of vehicle damage are caused by 2 main factors, speed and very high tyre pressures. Like I have mentioned on the other reply below, we are doing it again next year, and if it was that bad, I would not want to be going back.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 770060

Sponsored Links