Full time rear view camera

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 12:20
ThreadID: 97864 Views:5693 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can't see behind / over my Aliner. Don't want extender mirrors but asking if there is a simple one camera setup (not wide angle) that is full time on and display traffic behind me. Was thinking one camera on rear of van showing rear traffic and of course, when not towing, the normal rear view mirror is just fine. not particularly interested in having a mirror for reversing but perhaps I could angle it down when manouvreing into a parking spot.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 12:28

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 12:28
Triton

I think in most states there is a requirement to have external mirrors that are able t see what is behind a van/trailer and these should/must extend past the limits of the towed vehicle.

otherwise every truck in the place would have their mirrors removed to give a narrower profile.

regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 494352

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 15:42

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 15:42
Probably you will require a mirror to be extended for legal reasons but If you have a roof basket or bars the camera can be mounted on the bars/basket and it will then give a view of the tow vehicle rear roofline in the bottom of the screen and the van behind and it will also provide you with a view of what is following and on both sides to the rear of the vehicle and van.
This relative view is very handy because it gives you the position of the two vehicle and their relation to each other "Birdseye"and also the surrounds where the van is being reversed into.
Obviously it won't pick up a person on a scooter travelling too close behind the van though or give the immediate closeness behind the van as you reverse to a hazard.
AnswerID: 494357

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:30

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:30
Another option would be to strap the navigator to the rear of the van.
Equip 'her' with a handheld and this would cover all eventualities.
Even the reversing into hazards.
May even dispose of the handheld 2way in some instances

GTeoff
FollowupID: 770026

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:37

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:37
Oh come on Geoff!
With the navigator strapped on the back, left would be right and right would be left and distance calculations would also be of dubious quality too.
Following drivers are going to be overtaking on the left.
When a Mack truck gets too close it might skid on the "brake fluid which will suddenly be released.
I reckon everything would be frack to bunt.
FollowupID: 770039

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:31

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 16:31
Hi Triton man

With the correct focused camera for rear view as opposed to reversing, you will still find it useful for reversing in to a site. This will not negate the legal requirement to have adequate mirrors, as you are required to have mirrors of adequate width to see clearly behind and down the sides of your combination. The use of a rear view camera will certainly enhance the scope of vision behind you, particularly on straight roads. If you drive on dusty roads, the cloud of dust behind the caravan negates their usefulness.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494363

Reply By: wombat100 - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:15

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 19:15
We have one from 'Polaris' on our unit. It is a bit too 'wide angle' though..

AnswerID: 494369

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 20:30

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 20:30
Yes there are reversing camera/monitor setups available that will do what you desire.

I had a Brashs Imports setup on my previous vehicle.
The monitor (clip on over the rear view mirror) could be used as a reversing camera, or switched to full time display (about one third of mirror size) while driving.

Have a read of David's web page where he recommends a particular type of camera for a particular purpose.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 494378

Follow Up By: Triton man - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 16:46

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 16:46
Mr Sand Man of SA. Thanks for the link of Brashs Imports. I think this is exactly what I am after and will do me to a T. Had never heard of this before and was impressed. Will now do some measuring of the rear view mirror so I can order approriatelly. Q) Is the image reversed or is it in the correct sense ?. Thanks again Sand Man

Triton man
FollowupID: 770097

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:03

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:03
Hi there Triton Man,

No problem, glad I could help.
No the image is not reversed and is the same as looking at the rear view mirror.
I found David great to deal with and I am happy to refer folk to his business.
The amount of both monitors and cameras available has expanded considerably since I bought mine first equipment from him.

I now have a number plate camera from Brashs on my current vehicle, but the mirror/monitor is from an Adelaide radio business supplier. It's not as good as the Brashs monitor I previosly had.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 770107

Reply By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 21:45

Thursday, Sep 06, 2012 at 21:45
We have had a Polaris retro fitted in the dash [replacing the existing radio/cd] but has all those functions as well as a full-time camera view. We have two cameras, one on the back of the Landcruiser and one on the van. We have a switch on the dashboard that toggles between the two views. Our cameras are infra-red and don't appear to be wide angle. They are fantastic and make travelling so much safer. When turning in dual lanes you can check the rear before going wide, see traffic build up behind and pull over, see trucks approaching, reverse safely without having to get out and take a look. When we go home and get in to our second car, we miss the camera so much. The higher you get your camera, the less dust interference.

You will still have to have extended mirrors though for legal reasons. Ours are just $35 mirrors that strap on over existing mirrors. They never get taken off and are pretty non-obtrusive. We looked at getting the big flash Toyota mirrors for towing, but the wouldn't fit through our garage doors, so gave them a miss.

Happy Travels
AnswerID: 494382

Reply By: Triton man - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 08:23

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 08:23
Thanks to all the respondents for their time and guidance. I am a newbie to both 4WD and caravanning and my first ever forum question (on anything). I am impressed with the spirit shown and the wealth of knowledge which is out there in the field. Think I will go for both, the cheaper and legal option first (the mirrors) and then the camera. I look forward to years of touring and joining in forums to both learn and eventually be wise enough to contribute.

Once again my thanks for all respondees for your help and guidance. Much appreciated - Triton man
AnswerID: 494390

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 16:50

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 16:50
Hi Triton

I had a look at the site and noted all the cameras are NTSC format.

Here in Aust we use a PAL format.
Just be careful as local supplied monitors may not operate correctly if they are PAL and the video input is NTSC.

Geoff
FollowupID: 770098

Reply By: andrewg - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:36

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:36
gda ive just fitted the new arb reverse camera.. works great and you can push a button on mirror and 25 % of mirror works in reverse mode full time. it replaces the car mirror, works great...
AnswerID: 494437

Sponsored Links