Work on outback stations

Submitted: Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 09:33
ThreadID: 97880 Views:2762 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

I was wondering if anyone know of a web site that gave opportunities to work on outback farms or stations, Australian wide?
I am a city boy, with no experience but interested in seeing what this life is like?

Cheers
Tony
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: P and JM - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 10:25

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 10:25
Hi Tony,

I just typed: "Work on outback stations" in Google, and a heap came up.
The following may be of help, I did not read it just came across it in the Google
listing.

Employment and training agencies, major cattle station companies.

Once you get their and start doing the different jobs etc you will enjoy. A lot of my working days was in the Bush.

Cheers and good luck. P&J
AnswerID: 494402

Follow Up By: The Martins Place - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 10:31

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 10:31
Many thanks P&J, I'll give it a try.

happy travels
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 770074

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 11:36

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 11:36
Tony,

I've spent almost my entire working life on stations in Qld & NT. It's a great way of life, but you lose out some aspects, like being away from family, friends and civilisation(if that's your thing).

However, these days most stations have phones(no, no mobiles unless close to town), internet, email, TV, aircons, and good accommodation & conditions. It can be a hard way of life at times, but does give you a sense of achievement, when you look back and see what you've accomplished for the day, week or month.

Try Outback International (07 3720 8504) in Brisbane. They've been in the recruitment industry for many years, and should be able to set you up somewhere.

Think their website is: obirecruitment.com.au

Also, you could ring any of the major cattle companies to see if they had any positions over the wet. Most of the young jackeroos & jillaroos leave the stations about Oct-November, and head home, so at times they might be short staffed, until the mustering season begins in March-April next year.

Try Australian Agricultural Co Ltd, Napco, Parraway Pastoral Co., Consolidated Pastoral and Western Grazing. If you google these companies, you should get their phone numbers, and get to speak with their recruitment staff. They are mainly Qld/NT companies. Not sure of too many that are in other states except Jumbuck Pastoral.

Just remember it will be getting hot in many areas now, so that can make the work somewhat harder. Just depends on how much cement you've got in your system, LOL?

You could ring me if you wish for moire info? 0427 727 302.

Good luck,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 494409

Reply By: Member - Darren M (VIC) - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 22:18

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 22:18
Tony,
We run into some guys at cooberpedy last weekend that were working on a station near Glendambo. They used the gum tree website to find work and also post their resume. Apparently if you are any good the outback word of mouth keeps you employed. It's a great country and there are lots of great people to meet.
Good luck
Darren.
“Not all those who wander are lost.”

J. R. R. Tolkien

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494461

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 23:54

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 23:54
Hi Tony

If the leads given so far don't help, Google "pastoral station positions" for more options and agencies.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494466

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 09:05

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 09:05
Hi Tony,

Good on you for wanting to experience the outback life, it's hard but rewarding life.

At this time many of the northern stations will be gearing down for the wet season and go to minimal staff, but this will give you an opportunity to acquire some knowledge before the next season.

First thing I would be doing is reading The Land and Queensland Country life every week to give yourself some background as to what is happening in the bush as it certainly has changed, it will also give you an idea of what employment opportunities there are.

To make a career in the pastoral industry you will need to acquire some skills, I would make some enquires to places like Western TAFE at Dubbo who offer a range of courses. Just remember now you have to be "Certified" to do some of the most basic jobs on a station. Skilled quad bike riding and LOW STRESS stock management would be very helpful.

I would also contact places like Agricultural Appointment (downtown Sydney)
www.agri.com.au and Anna Brown in Bathurst annabrownrecruitment.com both offer employment services and recruitment.

The established system in the industry is to be a Jackaroo 1st year through 4th year, then progressing to Overseer, Stock or Farming Manager, Assistant Manager then Manager.

Just remember that city raised jackaroos are always the butt of jokes in the country so don't take things to seriously.

Best of luck.

AnswerID: 494476

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 09:35

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 09:35
We have assisted on a couple of outback stations for short periods in more of a housesitting role, but it also involved quite a bit of farm work. We made contact via the housesitters.com.au website.
There are a lot of young travellers getting short term accomodation at many outback stations in return for a bit of work through the WWOOF organisation.
cravenhaven

AnswerID: 494479

Reply By: The Martins Place - Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 05:41

Sunday, Sep 09, 2012 at 05:41
Many thanks everyone, got a bit to look at.
I feel I will be shearing the cows & milkng the sheep in no time :)

Tony
Tony

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 494533

Sponsored Links