diesel heaters

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 12:42
ThreadID: 97899 Views:8413 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of fitting a PLANAR diesel heater to my caravan,has anyone done this? can you give me some feedback it would be much appreciated thanks MATT.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 13:51

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 13:51
Hi Matt. Can't comment on the Planar one.Myself and quite a few others have fitted a Snugger brand which is similar. There have been quite a few discussions on the caravaners Forum about them and also mention of the Planar one. There is a bit of reading here if you are interested. Cheers,Bob
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26758
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29646
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29142
AnswerID: 494491

Reply By: Cruiser .- Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 14:21

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 14:21
Matt,

I fitted a Dometic diesel heater to my van in April this year and it was relatively easy. The hardest part was fitting the tank believe it or not.

I ended up rearranging gas bottles and regulator on my draw bar so that I could fit the tank behind the bottles as well as fit a jerry can holder and have it all in the one area.

If you can use a jigsaw, a screwdriver, make electrical connections and use a sealant gun, a hole saw plus a few other basic tools then anyone can do it.

Just think it all through about 3 times and take the installation at a steady pace and it will be easy. It took me 2 days to install the heater and another day to rearrange the drawbar and then fill the tank and fire it all up.

I just had a look at the Planar and it looks almost identical to the Dometic and it also looks like the electrical connections are plug n play just like the Dometic, which makes it easy to install.

You wont regret the investment, especially on the first night you have to use it.

Money well spent I reckon.

AnswerID: 494492

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 18:41

Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 18:41
Matt, here is a followup of my installation.

Works well but as my van is a 23 footer I think I should have gone the 4.6KW unit.

It is cheaper as well and apparently does not use much more fuel than the 2 KW one. In a smaller van the 2KW would be brilliant.

There are several things which do not come with the kit I got but 100mm ally flexible tubing for ducting is available from Bunnings as are some plastic floor 100mm grates with square flanges for inlet vent and outlet vent. I sprayed my floor grates black. Looks good.

As I said earlier I really need a frosty night to give it a real test but it was a little dissapointing the other night (3am) (could not sleep) when I tried it.
Might just have been a settling in period as it seemed to work better later that morning.

Definitely the go though.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770289

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 15:53

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 15:53
Hi Matt,

Just finished installing the Planar 2Kw unit which is currently selling for $680 on ebay.

So far I am very satisfied with it though it means I will probably have to wait till next winter to giver it a proper try out as the weather is warming up.

Took me 2 and a bit days as I was reading instructions, then do a bit, then read again.

Seems a little complicated at first till you get into it. Then it is fairly simple and fairly straight forward. The instructions are Russlish, a bit like Chinglish, but not too difficult to follow.

Fuel tank not supplied. they want another $80 for that so I went to Superdeer and got a 10 litre plastic jerry can and used that for my tank. It is only diesel after all.

Cheers, Bruce

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494498

Reply By: Member - peter & dawn m (QLD) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 19:14

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 19:14
we spent 8 weeks over winter out the back of cunnumulla minus 3 to 4 degress wish we had one!! swampy
AnswerID: 494511

Sponsored Links