Broken Hill - Flinders Ranges - Oodnadatta Track.

Submitted: Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 20:59
ThreadID: 97948 Views:3309 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
We are heading off in a few days on our first road trip to Broken Hill, then through to Flinders Ranges before the Oodnadatta Track.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me some not to miss places along the way. And also some freebie/cheap camp spots with toilets.

Any info appreciated.
Thanks,
Kat.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 09:49

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 09:49
Hi Kat,
If you get hold of the latest Caravan and Motorhome mag there is a feature on the DVD of the Flinders with regard to the many things on offer especially a couple of free camp sites. About $9 something. Have you got a copy of Camps Australia Wide, the travellers bible?. Invaluable in most peoples opinion and mine also.

As you travel from Quorn to Leigh Creek you are travelling beside the old Gan railway bed. Not nuch left now but there are plenty of ruins and some of the bridge pylons are still there as well as some abutments for the old line. the whole area is steeped in history.

One free camp is near Quorn and there is another between Parachilna and Blinman to the east of parachilna.

Rawnsley Park Station, just near Wilpena pound and just north of Hawker, has a very good caravan park, costs of course, but it is well setup and is worth a stay for topping up water tanks doing the washing etc.

Allow about 4 days for Broken Hill and surrounds as there is a lot to see and do in the area. Make sure you see Silverton just north of Broken Hill and there is another good park at Penrose Park at Silverton.

Make sure you have your camera with you as there are a million things worth a photo, well in my opinion anyway. LOL

Have a great time and all the best.
Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494679

Follow Up By: Alf n Kat Family - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 19:37

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 19:37
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info. We have the latest Camps book, it is definately invaluable!

We are planning on staying at Penrose Park for a few nights as base camp to see Menindee, Broken Hill and Silverton.

I have just got new sd cards for my camera as I normally take thousands of photos wherever I go!

We are thinking of camping around Blinman and seeing the mine there.

I was told Flinders is overpriced? I am guessing there are still things to do on the cheap though?

Thanks again,
Katrina

FollowupID: 770359

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 20:14

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 20:14
We were last there in Oct 2007 and Rawnsley Park station was not overpriced at that time. Mind you we were there just after the Sept. school holidays and so it was after the peak season. The young lady in reception told us that we were lucky as we could have the pick of the sites. They were pretty full just a week before as it was school holidays.

As the chief and I are retired we like to travel outside school holiday times for all the obvious reasons not the least of which is we get cheaper rates.

As I said above, get a copy of the latest Caravan and Motorhome as the DVD is very informative as this one is specifically on the Flinders Ranges, well certainly the southern section anyway.

Blinman gets covered on the DVD in some depth so I recommend it specifically as it fits in with some of your plans. Take the DVD with you and if you have a player or a laptop you can review it as you get to each area that way you will not miss anything.

We are taking off for the Flinders in about 3 weeks time so you never know we may bump into you and your crew on the road.

Cheers, Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770363

Follow Up By: Alf n Kat Family - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 08:04

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 08:04
Thanks Bruce,

I would love to avoid school holidays but while our kids are still in school we have got no choice! we are at least taking a week either side of school holidays off as well to have a bit more time.

I will have to go looking for the magazine today.

Katrina.
FollowupID: 770386

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 17:45

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 17:45
Katrina,
I just realised today that I have given you the wrong information regarding the correct issue on the Flinders DVD.
It was the one before last. It was in issue #176.

Hope you did not get the latest although it is on Coober Pedy which is not all that far from Oodnadatta. May also be helpful for you.

Sorry about the confusion.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770416

Follow Up By: Timboc - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 19:22

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 19:22
Hi Kat
We recently returned from 3 weeks in the Flinders and beyond. if you would like to send me your e mail address i will give you the log on to our blog, which has plenty of info.
Apolgies to everyone that i cannot make public just for the time being.
All the best
Timbo
FollowupID: 770424

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 16:33

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 16:33
Covering a long distance. Would need a book for a proper reply ... But wait, there is a book and track guides, and a website or two!
AnswerID: 494708

Reply By: Wayne M4 - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 22:21

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 22:21
We travelled down the Oodnadatta Track in early August, Algebuckina Rail Bridge well worth a look or O/N stay, William Creek Pub has plenty of History and Coward Springs is another good spot to stay as well as Farind Campground. Suggest you get your supplies early as from lyndhurst onwards there is not much on offer.
AnswerID: 494740

Follow Up By: Alf n Kat Family - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 08:07

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 08:07
Thanks for the info,
Have you been to the painted desert? I have heard it is worth a look.
Katrina
FollowupID: 770388

Follow Up By: Wayne M4 - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 15:20

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 15:20
No unfortunately we didn't but we met quite a few travellers who did and said worth the visit. There is not much to see from Marla to Oodnadatta so you vary your route accordingly. Enjoy - Wayne
FollowupID: 770409

Follow Up By: Alf n Kat Family - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 16:38

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 16:38
Thanks for that info Wayne.

Kat.
FollowupID: 770412

Reply By: Member - peter & dawn m (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 07:11

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 07:11
when in broken hill do your self a favour go for a drive out to silverton + 5 ks further out is the mundi mundi look outwell worth the time & theres A caravan pk out there, swampy
AnswerID: 494745

Follow Up By: Alf n Kat Family - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 08:10

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 08:10
Thanks Swampy,

We are planning on staying at Penrose park.

Katrina.
FollowupID: 770389

Reply By: Jim & Anna - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 15:17

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 15:17
Hi Kat,
We've just returned from the Flinders. We usually stay at Wilpena Campground.
For a powered site (2A + 2C) was about $42. It's a bit pricey, however we like it as the kids can use the resort pool next door.
The campground is spacious with loads of trees. Kids like the kangaroos and emus wandering about. Great walks around the Flinders for all levels of fitness, my 10yo just completed St Mary's Peak and was thrilled.
Kids also enjoyed the drive up to Parachilna through Brachina Gorge, with lunch at the pub. Around lunch time, the long coal train rumbles through and our kids thought that was good.
We usually drive straight up from Adelaide, however this time we came through the Clare Valley and had 3 nights at Auburn. We loved it there. Caravan park is great ($22 powered site) would recommend as nice and quiet, very clean amenities. We rode our pushbikes along the Riesling Trail - nice way for us to wine taste!
Hope you enjoy your trip.
anna
AnswerID: 496193

Sponsored Links