Exmouth to Perth

Submitted: Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 01:50
ThreadID: 98001 Views:1667 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone. We are 4 x 4 travelling Exmouth to Perth and south to Esperance over 5 weeks from Nov 8th. We will have Lonely Planet WA issue and good road maps but what if we ask the question " what was an eyeopener - a highlight, to you, when you made that journey" ?
We are flying in from UK.
Cheers,
Ted Sclater
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mylestom - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 06:43

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 06:43
Shell Beach, Denhman, Shark Bay, Monkey Mia, Kalbarri and Murchinson Gorge, Natural Arch, Pinnacles. The list goes on. Lots to see and do and depends on individual taste. We did it in June, July, Coral Bay is very expensive for everything, try and take in what food you need. Also lots of on water activities, but extremely expensive compared with east coast equivilant.
AnswerID: 494833

Follow Up By: mylestom - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 06:44

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 06:44
Double post, didnt see date of arrival, no wildflowers and will be quite warm that time of year.

FollowupID: 770517

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 08:32

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 08:32
Hi Ted,

If your wanting to 4x4, you could go inland and pick up Karjjini, Mt Augustus, Kennedy range, then come out to the coast and go up to Gnaraloo via Quobba, then down to Carnarvon and Overlander Road House and go to Steep Point and then down to Kalbarri etc.
Most of these spots are trek noted on this site.

safe travels

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494838

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 08:52

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 08:52
Such a trip in WA has highlights galore for the route you have in mind.......just a few of our biggies Ted...............
Exmouth - around in Cape Range National Park (nearby) you can walk along pristine beaches and then step into 1m of water and swim with the most beautiful tropical fish, on the world famous Ningaloo reef - the reef is accessible elsewhere but that spot blew me away - don't forget the fins, snorkel and mask. While there, you can see several ancient shorelines in the adjacent terrain from previous climate extremes - fascinating to me.

Shark Bay - just about anything in that area - we loved the Francois Peron NP.
If you fish, a bit of budget tackle should get you a fish or two around dusk, anywhere in that region.

That time of the year will be high risk for sunburn and dehydration in the northern part of your trip - make sure you have all the goodies.

Down from Perth - the whole coastline from Augusta through Esperance to Cape Legrand held great interest for us - the coast itself plus the tall timber country just inland produced continual highlights - special spots ? Cheynes Beach and the Waychinicup Inlet in the NP nearby ... Bremer Bay (a wonderful beach area and the huge estuary is full of easy to catch bream, at the time of your visit - yum).....Lucky Bay in Cape Legrand NP (hard to leave, that one).

Have a great time !

AnswerID: 494841

Reply By: The Greta Bunyip - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:39

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:39
If heading south, make sure you do the obligatory detour to Hyden & "Wave Rock". While down that way, for stunning scenery consider the Stirling Ranges which I understand is the only place in WA it has ever snowed. Halfway between Geraldton & Perth, the "Pinnacles" desert is also must-see. Denham/Monkey Mia is great if for nothing but the sheer isolation & a good place to chill out for a couple of days.
As others have mentioned, scratch the surface & with WA being so big there's lots to see.
AnswerID: 494858

Reply By: hazo - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 14:59

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 14:59
Hi
Do not want to pour cold water on your trip, but coming from the UK in November to NW Australia you will be in for a heat shock !

My son came over from the uk a few years ago in December and the heat nearly killed him and his wife when in Exmouth ! he became very dehydrated as he was just not used to it.

I assume you will also be under canvas, so expect even more discomfort there trying to sleep.

Having said that it is beautiful country with many natural wonders to be seen.

We are currently in Shark Bay and the heat is just starting now.

Further down the coast in the South West will be wonderful at that time of year.
AnswerID: 494873

Follow Up By: hazo - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 15:01

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 15:01
Oh and yes we have lived here for 23 years !
FollowupID: 770545

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 15:55

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 15:55
Great call Hazo and one that should be treated with a great deal of respect as it is a real 'shock' to the system to one arriving from that type of cold to that type of heat at that time of year
Cheers
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770548

Sponsored Links