Uluru/ Ayers Rock

Submitted: Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 20:02
ThreadID: 9801 Views:2291 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip with the missus and two kids in July to Alice and the rock. The price of accomodation at Ayers rock is scary. Anybody have any suggestions for reasonable accomodation in this area. I'd rather not camp so cabins, motels etc.
Thanx in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Herve - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 21:51

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 21:51
You either use the caravan park at reasonable expense or get fleeced horribly - take your pick. The multinational that owns the place has you in mind when they structure the pricing ! The only reason that caravan park users don't get ripped off blind is that the owner would be accused or profiteering and discrimination against the biggest tourism sector in Oz - backpackers ! If backpackers are treated fairly, they can hardly rip-off others using the same park. We had to pay $270 in 1998 for 1 motel room for 1 night (slept 4) due to a vehicle breakdown - we were towed in after dark, in the pouring rain. Still trying to forget it."This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 43283

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 23:54

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 23:54
Hi navaraman,

Why not camp (free) at Curtin Springs and do day trip to Ayers Rock and the Olgas. Curtin Springs has a great atmosphere, good food and cold beers...as well as fuel, showers and toilets. They also have rooms for accommodation.

Email: curtinas@ozemail.com.au

Stayed there for three nights in Oct last year and loved it. They also have camel rides, the sunset ride is spectacular.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 43297

Follow Up By: Davoe - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 00:32

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 00:32
From curtain springs you can also do trips to mt conner although the prices I saw to access mt conner looked excessive. I had to try and source accomadation paid for by the RAC as my van had issues and the lady from rac was asstounded by the excessive accomadation prices. From memory $150 a night for a cabin
FollowupID: 305598

Follow Up By: navaraman - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:00

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:00
The missus wanted aholiday without camping. I might compromise and stay in motels at Coober Pedy abnd Alice (reasonable prices there) and camp at Curtin Springs for a couple of night. Best of both worlds, she and the bank manager are both happy. Thanks for the advice
FollowupID: 305611

Reply By: Dunedigger - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 08:23

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 08:23
Been to the rock and never again. My advise is get a good photo, look at it for an hour and dont go there ! It is just a bloody great rock surrounded by nothing and packed with mindless people clambering all over and around it. It reminds me of peak hour traffic. Save you money and spend more time in Alice. There is so much to see and do out and around there.

The trouble is tourism kills tourism, and many of us in 4WDs love to get away from that sort of thing as much as possible.

Give me a deserted camp ground anytime, but perhaps I love the bush too much and am too anti-social

Dune Digger
AnswerID: 43406

Follow Up By: Dunedigger - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:30

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:30
Forgot to mention that the traditional owners charge a "kings ransom" to visit the damm thing anyway. Can't *SEE* what the money is used for.

Kings Canyon is another place where tourism has killed tourism

Dunedigger
FollowupID: 305861

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:28

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:28
narvaraman,
I was there in August 03 . If you are in the area i guess you must visit the ROCK, a couple of hours did me !! I would not go there again too many people,too many cars,buses. Curtain Springs seams a good place to stay otherwise i would camp in the sand dunes southern side of the road approx 20 klicks before the ROCK. we had 2 great days there .

good luck!!

jeff
AnswerID: 43409

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 18:30

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 18:30
There is a nice motel at the cnr of Stuart and Lassiter hwys in Erldunda.... Only 250kms from that crappy rock....................___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Sponsored Links