PointPlace - OziExplorer Plot Swap

Submitted: Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 20:55
ThreadID: 9802 Views:1827 Replies:9 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Well I have spent a few more hours working on PointPlace and can now tell you that the Plot Swap database is almost finished. I have the ability to upload and store your plots in the system. This also allows you to build a Map of your plots on the fly.

The download sections are next weeks job but please have a look at the current upload and map drawing systems - they are very cool and very unique. Any problems let me know.

URLS
Plot file Index
PointPlace Home

If you load plots into this system they will be used as live and you will receive upload credits for them. This is not yet displayed but the system is recording the info.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 20:56

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 20:56
Oh and also ensure that you zoom in and out of the Map in the View Map window the information and detail changes as you move in and around the maps.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
AnswerID: 43272

Follow Up By: pedro - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:57

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:57
David as a novice to this area can you please tell me
1. how do I find the pages you are talking about
2. could you please tell us a bit more about the system and what it is for in laymans terms
FollowupID: 305635

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:40

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:40
Pedro,

The pages are in the links above - just click on the Plot file index or point your browser at http://www.exploroz.com/pointplace/plt/default.asp - You will see what is going on there.

Basically you can take a recorded plot .plt file from OziExplorer (more mapping products comming soon) and create a dynamic map on the fly showing the excat road that you travelled. Next week others will be able to download these maps and plot files directly into their computers for use as either geo-referenced maps or plot files. This basically means that the system has the ability to allow people to share GPS recorded and driven map details on ExplorOz.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305641

Follow Up By: pedro - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 19:00

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 19:00
David I have just added Stockyard Gully to the list but I see it has listed me as Pedro (visitor) rather than by my member name (Peter Hewitson)
I was loged on when I loaded it on , is this something I have done or is it standard ?I would rather it show the file as beeing loged by a member
FollowupID: 305653

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 23:29

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 23:29
Must be another little bug i will check it on Monday thanks for the feedback Peter - I will get the bugs out soon.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305691

Follow Up By: pedro - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 17:42

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 17:42
David , I have looked at the small map that comes up on the page but how do I down load the track into Oziexplorer so that I can view it on the raster maps and take my own waypoints to upload into the GPS? I see the word DOWNLOAD but only getting the small map showing..
FollowupID: 305736

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 20:56

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 20:56
As already mentioned the downloads are not finished. Also you should be able to go to the View Map this will show you a full map of the location. You can zoom in, out and pan around on this map to give you more details - It will be an extract of this map that you will be able to download.

BTW: You will be able to drive the downloaded maps if you use moving map and the laptop in the car. Also I will be extracting the waypoints automatically for you and supply a .wpt file with the downloads - this wpt file will be based on devations from the map - ie. if the direction of the plot changes by say 30 deg I will provide a waypoint automatically at that spot - This will may that you will just be able to upload the .wpt file into your gps also with the .rte file that I will also be able to build for you. Basically you should not have to do anything other than get in the car turn on the gps and dirve the route as loaded, and have a printed paper copy if all else fails. This is the proposed end result of PointPlace I expect about 2 more weeks and this will all be running.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305746

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 23:40

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 23:40
excellent work there david just what i needed.
keep it up
you looking for ozzy of the year nomination?
lol
1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 43295

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 23:48

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 23:48
Hi David,

I clicked on the "Load your plot file" button in the Point Place screen and it won't accept log on. Just Do It!

AnswerID: 43296

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 23:50

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 23:50
In fact neither URLs will allow log onJust Do It!

FollowupID: 305595

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 01:23

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 01:23
I am confused - If you can use the forum you should have no problems with the plot file index - In fact I have removed the requirement to be logged on for this screen.

Try copy and paste this:

www.exploroz.com/pointplace/plt/default.aspRegards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305602

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:41

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:41
Glenn - Try again and let me know how you go.

Also as a test if it does not work try the trader submit add page - it uses a similar piece of code.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305642

Reply By: Member - Doug - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 00:38

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 00:38
David,
I seem to have successfully uploaded 17 waypoints relating to the approach to Levuka Camp Site from the direction of Brisbane starting at Beaudesert, but haven't investigated the map functions yet.
These are not GPS points taken on the road though, and it occurs to me you may only interested in those. Or are you going to accept routes such as this one that I've built using Oziexplorer planned from an Aus Geocentric 1994 Map?
rgds
Doug
PS takes some time to do each point; I guess I'll get quicker.

The Welshmun & The Witch
setting off in 2004 for 2+ years
in '93 Series 80 & Dream Camper
AnswerID: 43303

Follow Up By: Member - Doug - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 00:52

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 00:52
David,
This was just a test from my point of view; hence the small number of points. (plus we haven't done a big trip yet !)
I've since had a look at the Map function. Impressive; you've obviously put a lot of work into this. There's a small typo in the "Legend" on the map display.
It occurs to me that the existing sets of waypoints are actually 'routes' in Oziexplorer terminology.
Is there no way of handling a waypoint set as a route?
When I was checking the waypoints I put in, they were displayed in an apparently random order; very confusing when you're checking descriptions. (which I did by having an Oziexplorer map on my other screen to remind me - but I had to wander about a lot)
Dougfrom:
The Welshmun & The Witch
FollowupID: 305601

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 01:27

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 01:27
Doug at this stage the major new development is the plot file system. The load waypoints system was written some time ago and needs to now be modified to support the new mapping system and the new methods of loading and building the databases.

For now it is best to look at the Plot file system only as the waypoints & routes will be re-written to support the upload of the entire file and the presentation of the data as a whole.

Sorry I did not make this 100% clear in the original post. So for now look at and load PLT files in the plot file index system. www.exploroz.com/pointplace/pltRegards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305603

Reply By: Member - Doug - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 02:23

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 02:23
Understood
Dougfrom:
The Welshmun & The Witch
AnswerID: 43306

Reply By: William - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:13

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:13
David I get this error message

Currently 7 matching plots. Page 1 of 1

Description Stats Location Actions
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e37'
The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'Visitors'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.

/pointplace/plt/Default.asp, line 210

AnswerID: 43319

Follow Up By: Bitsumishin - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:25

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:25
me too. Is this facility only for members?
FollowupID: 305638

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:35

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:35
I have found and fixed the system - I had not tested a visitor submission and there was a bug in the code that displayed the Screenname of the person that submitted the data.

Thanks for the feedback is is fixed now and you map is showing correctly.

See www.exploroz.com/pointplace/plt/default.aspRegards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305640

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:28

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:28
Hi David
Started to try out your map thinge got one to work ok Holland Track
the next two came up with error as follows
FileType - OziExplorer Track Point File Version 2.1
Datum - WGS 84
Expected number of points in file - 94

The mapping parameters are now being computed - Please Wait

Upon completion you will be automatically redirected back to the Plot Index where you can view this map

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'CDate'

/PointPlace/Utilities.asp, line 388

one problem I have with this site is that we cannot go in and edit your info if we make a mistake, or can we and I just don't know yet (this also goes for treknotes) it would be nice to be able to edit my own stuff under my membership

Regards

Richard Kovac
AnswerID: 43365

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 23:28

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 23:28
I have had a few drinks at a mates place I will check again tomorrow or Monday. Thanks for the feedback I will work out the problems and get back to you.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305690

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:03

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:03
Richard,

I have fixed the bug - I wonder how you recored these files it appears not to have any date and time data in the files. What version of OziExplorer where you using or was it a downloaded track from a GPS unit? I suspect a download plot from a GPS unit.

I have mapped your files and now realise that I need to have a facility to add the plot files together to make one plot.

Did you know that you can open the plot file is notepad and join them together. All you need to do is take one file open it in notepad then open file two and cut from the first data line (line 6) to the end and paste it into the other file. This way you can build a single plot for the entire road/track. I will add something to PlotSwap to allow you to add plot files together to build one larger plot.

Have a look and see what you think so far and can you please send me the details of which file is what - I guess I need to get the long description on the screen and this may tell me. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305721

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 14:40

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 14:40
Thanks David,
But I see that I made a mistake on the Perth To Coolardie Plot File it should read Coolardie to Laverton (put the wrong file in) and the next should have been Coolgardie to Laverton, would like to be able to change this.
My pre 2003 files were saved using Garmin MapSource Then coverted over to OziExplorer using Gar Trax, I checked the old files using note pad (I was trying everything I could think of to merge the tracks as I have a Garmin Etrax can only hold so many points before I have to save them) and found all pre 12/03 not to have dates and times, its someting I'm doing as we did the Power line track 27/12/2003 using a GPS reciver hooked up to a laptop runing Garmin MapSource and the Etrax just recording.
Some have date and times some don't ?
The holland track (which has dates and times) was the GPS reciver, laptop and running OziExplorer which failed to fined the Kalgoorlie map and stoped recording before Coolgardie if anyone is wondering.
I noticed that some of my MapSource files do not have dates and times also I have been doing alot of cutting and pasting to get my file to mean anything (not good at reading help files)

OziExplorer is Version : 3.95.3e
MapSource is Version 5.4
I will now try your way and use note pad to adjust my files into one log track if this works please delete the pre 18/01/2004 files I have a lot of Plot files if you can stand them, being both ex easterners we to a lot of trip to see whats left of the fokes, and try different ways of going around/through the country

Thanks again
Regards
Richard Kovac
AnswerID: 43427

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 15:02

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 15:02
No worries Richard - I will provide the ability for people to edit their own submissions on the system (next week). As for the plot files yes please we are wanting as many as we can get - it will make the product bigger and better when I get the enitre system up and running.

I am still working on the download model and how I can get some payment from people for using these features however rest assured the more data you upload the better and more data the system will allow you to download.

Yes I can assure you the noteapd cut and paste to join the files up into one is the best method. I have made all of our master files. I then also pass our master files through the OziExplorer Plot filter function (available in the Track sub menu). I will be publishing some tutorials and documentation on the best methods to use when recording data with OziExplorer (for both knowledge and for PointPlace).Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305727

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 16:52

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 16:52
Tracks can also be merged in oziexplorer by loading the first appending the others then saving.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 305734

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 19:54

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 19:54
Tracks can also be merged in oziexplorer by loading the first appending the others then saving.
Thanks Ray
I should read the help files more often
thats a lot easyer

Regards
Richard Kovac
FollowupID: 305743

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 20:50

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 20:50
OK that may be easier but I am a computer nerd remember and I do things the hard way sometimes. I don't think is is hard but others may - Thanks Ray I iwll make sure I write about this in my tech tip documents.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305745

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 16:31

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 16:31
David, after entering a full description of a track only the short description shows on the page. It would be nice if the full description was shown.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 43432

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 16:43

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 16:43
Yeah - it is in the database I just have not worked out how to display it yet. I will see what is in the DB and work it out on Monday.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305731

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 18:27

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 18:27
Ray,

I have written a new page showing the full details of the loaded plot files. It now shows everything on the one page including a map from the mapping interface. There is also a set of Next Prev buttons at the bottom to allow you to scroll through the list in the Full Details View. let me know how this goes.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305802

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:56

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:56
Working fine David. I also need the editing ability. I have a double back on a track that I just uploaded. I've edited it out here but need to overwrite what's already on exploroz.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 305870

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:01

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:01
Edit functions and re-download - Yes agree I will try to get it sorted today - I want to get the downloads working initially and will look at it after that.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 305881

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 19:16

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 19:16
Received a plot in the mail...working okI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 305942

Sponsored Links