Gibb River Itinerary

Hi All,

Just chasing a few thoughts on the below GRR itinerary i'm looking at doing once the road reopens after this wet season.

Planning on driving to Kununurra and starting from that end.

Bungle Bungles 2 nights (on the way to Kunnurra)
Kununurra 2 nights
El Questro 2 nights
Home Valley 2 nights
King Edward River 3 nights.
Mt. Barnett 2 nights
Mornington 2 nights
silent grove 1 night
windjana Gorge 2 nights
Broome 2 nights (to recouperate before heading home)

We dont have a lot of capacity for extra days so would need to remove something to add somewhere else or extend a stay somewhere.

Will we likely see the big ticket items with the above or are there someplaces you would remove/add?

Appreciate any feedback

Cheers
Beaka.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:39

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:39
The only thing I could suggest is to remove "Beaka84" and insert "Pop2jocem"
Just kidding, sounds like a good trip, I am planning on being in the Kimberly region next year too. If you are limited by time constraints maybe get an extra day or 2 by dropping Broome and Kununurra and spend more time in the more remote areas. Broome was a great little spot back in the late 60's and early 70's but just a tourist trap now IMHO. We are no longer restricted by time or ankle biters school needs as now retired so will spend as long as it takes.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 494947

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:27

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:27
Hi Beaka,

I'd only spend one night at Home Valley. Good facilities with a pool, but not much to do there. The night you save could be added to El Questro as there's plenty to do there.

Graeme

Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494951

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 15:41

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 15:41
Hi Beaka

We took it at a leisurely pace and spent 3½ weeks between Derby and Wyndham as we travelled west to east. This included the Mitchell Plateau and three nights at Kalumburu. With Mornington being 100 kilometres from the GRR, this was one we chose to miss. We went to Purnululu for three days and two nights during our five weeks in Kununurra. We did not go to Broome. Sometimes 100 kilometres was enough to travel in one day eg between Drysdale River Station the the KE River, and between KE River and Kalumburu due to condition of the roads.

I presume by Mt Barnett you mean Manning Gorge (accessed from Mount Barnett Roadhouse. We spent two nights there, as the walk to Manning Falls takes the greater part of a day and it was nice to relax after the long walk.

We did not go to Home Valley which was closed for their upgrade, but spent three nights at El Questro private riverside camping, putting in long and full days to make the most of the expense. We only saw selected features.

At Kununurra the highlight was the Triple J boat up the Ord (Lake Kununurra) from Kununurra to the Argyle Dam.

You can check My Blog 2008 for details about what we saw if you like. The Blogs do not give our time frame.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494963

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 20:37

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 20:37
Last year it took us 4 weeks just on the Gibb and we could have spent longer. We started at Kununurra and went clock wise along the bitumen to Broome and back via the Gibb.
Mitchell Falls should be on your list.
At Home Valley we stayed in their bush camp site that is beside the Pentecost River. When I say bush camp, there were still very good showers and toilets. Also has a fantastic view of the Cockburn Range from there.
We did 4 nights at El Questro in a private bush camp. Loved the place.
Try and do Wolf Creek Crater if you can.
Don’t forget Tunnel Creek while you are at Windjana Gorge.
We did 4 nights in the Bungle Bungles, did all of the walks and a helicopter ride.
We spent 5 nights at Kununurra, 5 nights at Broome. Don’t forget the Dampier Peninsular. And, a definite on your list should be a trip to the Horizontal Water Falls! Not cheap, but worth every cent.
The Kimberley is really a magic place, you will love it.

Kevin
AnswerID: 494980

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 22:59

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 22:59
Your itinerary is not bad for the time that you have available I feel.

We spent 3 weeks this year on the GRR and almost 6 weeks last year so that should give you an idea of how much there is to see there.

I would drop off Home Valley and use those days elsewhere. I also think it will be a long drive from El Questro to King Edward River so you may want to add an overnighter on the way up. The road can be pretty average and slow going.

Places like Galvans gorge and Adcock gorge are also worth a visit, and I would definitely use the 2nights that you don't use at Home Valley to go to Charnley River Station. It's great there.

Have a wonderful trip and you might find some tips on our blog,

Grant and linda
AnswerID: 494986

Sponsored Links