2H toyota noise...

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:11
ThreadID: 98031 Views:5389 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A few weeks ago my trusty HJ60 started making a noise I was not happy with. Was out in the middle of nowhere towing a horse float loaded with hay. Made it home without worsening of noise. No overheating, no loss of power, plenty of oil and water. Noise is a tapping noise, increases with load, remains the same with clutch in or out or in neutral. Only able to hear the noise clearly in cab, sounds as if the source of the noise is straight through firewall. Difficult to hear outside, and only at higher revs. Not game to drive until noise is identified and fixed. Valve clearances are within limits. I have a nasty suspicion that the big end bearings are clapping out. Any other ideas / thoughts or suggestions before I drop the sump off?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:22

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:22
Dan,
You can get rather alarming "tapping" noises from things like fan belts that are starting to delaminate but although this will increase with revs load usually doesn't change the noise. If you are thinking of dropping the sump why not just drop the oil into a clean container. If half the bearings come out through the drain hole you have a big problem. Could also be piston "slap".You didn't say how many times the old girl has been around the clock..lol, just kidding mate. How many k's?

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 494944

Follow Up By: Dan H2 - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 13:42

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 13:42
The old girl has done about 495 000kms, I have owned it for 15 years. Had a complete rebuild (by a 'reputable' diesel mechanic - unable to attempt myself due to work hours) at 475 000kms. Have dropped the sump out, oil has lots of small metal flakes in the bottom of the oil bucket and in the bottom of the sump, no big chunks. Bearing shells are all scored except no. 5. Disturbingly, all of the con rod end caps are mismatched except no.5. I think I have found my problem...
Now, do I rematch the con rod end caps after 25 000kms or not?
FollowupID: 770627

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 16:07

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 16:07
hi dan2
when you had the rebuild at 475,000 km was the engine oil pump replaced
if it wasnt
id say low oil pessure is part of the problem plus the bigend shells and corods pushrods etc etc should always be put back on the place where they came from
the fact that you have small white metal particles in your oil
you will have to renew bigend bearings check condition of conrods as they might be scored as well and and need replacing if there are any core marks on the crankshaft journals it may well need replacing if its the original
you dont need big chunks of white metal small flakes are enough to do damage
also flush /clean out the entire oil feed system for the whole motor as the particles of white metal will be all through the oil feed system and will destroy the new lot of bearing in a short distance if this isnt done
yes replace the conron bearings and rematch the caps to correct positionsunless you enjoy having to keep pulling it to pieces
which im sure you dont
cheers
FollowupID: 770632

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 16:45

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 16:45
Dan,
I suspect you do not need to hear this at this point but if you have found all but one con rod cap mismatched to the rod it is pretty obvious whoever rebuilt your engine either did not know what he was doing or maybe left the poor apprentice to work unsupervised. It sounds like you already know the importance of the matching marks on the con rod to cap. I guess what you do at this point is going to depend on how badly the crank journals are scored. Have you removed any main bearing caps yet? If the crank is not too bad you may get away with polishing the journals in place and giving the engine a good flush out. If the scoring is too bad another rebuild is on the cards.
Maybe give the original mechanic a call and explain what you have found.
I am a little surprised that it has lasted this long but I guess the damaged has started right from day one.
Best of luck with whatever you do.

Cheers
Pop
(retired diesel mechanic)
FollowupID: 770634

Reply By: PeterInSa - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:42

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:42
Some mechanics use some for of listening device to put on various parts of the engine, gearbox, diff etc to determine the source of the noise, maybe such a device could help to identify the source.

Peter
AnswerID: 494948

Sponsored Links